Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again. My question is when I came out to start the sled, and try to go too soon. I get the machine not wanting to go as it is still frozen. Today I gave it more gas as I thought I was slipping on a hill I was on. But no it was just still frozen up (-38C today). SO I got a lot of smoke and burning rubber smell. What was smoking? The drive belt, or the track? Where is the friction happening to make it smoke? What is more prone to slip? The drive belt or the drive for the track?? Thanks all!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like the belt slipping/smoking and causing the smell. Check to make sure there is nothing frozen under the track and check to make sure the brakes are not stuck (pads/caliper stuck to disc). Do have a stand you can put the sled on so you can try to pull the track around by hand?

·
Registered
699 Posts
cat muncher is probaly right when he said the belt just inspect the sides of it and if there glazed or shiny thats probaly your prob

·
Registered
837 Posts
did you break the track free before you tried to take off, like grab the rear end and slap it down a couple times to get ice off things

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Bring the belt in the house for an hour or so and put it on just before you ride, the rubber is frozen and will not grip to the clutches.
You could also warm up the belt by running your sled with the track elevated for a minute or two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
your track is frozen to the slides ,wheels ,etc...lift the back & drop it from a foot or so then turn the secondary by hand . most manuals tell you to lift the track and run it for 2 mins to warm the belt & the track. I just putt along to my main trail (1/4 mi )check your belt to make sure you havent worn an hour glass in it.also , you will probably foul your plugs trying to blast free from ice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks a lot folks! I will try those things you mentioned. I got a piece of wood to lift up track so I could warm it up like you said. Thanks again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man when its that cold I would try real hard to start slow. Warming up with track off ground is a great Idea.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
When it is that cold outside I always put an old belt on before I try to get it going. That way you don't smoke a good belt. Then I use a stand to get the track going. Riley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts