Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 XCR600 triple and the crank snapped off between the block and the clutch. Anyone had this happen before? Where should I buy a rebuilt crank from? Should I just have my crank fixed? My sled has triple pipes, is it a SP? I checked the clutches to make sure they were tight before riding.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Fugi had a bunch of bad cranks in 97 and 98 for the case reed triple triples. Lucky yours lasted so long. I had one blow at 25 mph and the damage was big, a buddy destroyed his sled when it let go on the lake.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
check the shop that will be doing the press work, this way it was their idea to mount the product. generally, they will be the best price, since they may feel bad about charging so much for such a small item. Somebody will have to press it anyway, and they will be able to check your run out too, maybe find out why it did it in the first place, then make sure you update us, so we know

·
Registered
187 Posts
That crank is damn expensive. Best to just replace the pto end and bearings. Make sure they check the runout of the entire crank when they're done. Cheapest way to do this. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by monstermalibu
[br]I have a 97 XCR600 triple and the crank snapped off between the block and the clutch. Anyone had this happen before? Where should I buy a rebuilt crank from? Should I just have my crank fixed? My sled has triple pipes, is it a SP? I checked the clutches to make sure they were tight before riding.
Yes, I bought my 98 XCR 700 with a snapped PTO flush with the block for a very, ahem, undisclosed amount. I sent the crank a tried-and true Poo guy by the name of Jim Hedlund up in MN. Pulled the old one off, put a new one on, checked index, runout, etc all for $100 (pto end included!) plus shipping. If you want his #, shoot me a PM. Really nice guy.

Originally posted by Polaris_Doc
[br]That crank is damn expensive. Best to just replace the pto end and bearings. Make sure they check the runout of the entire crank when they're done. Cheapest way to do this. -Polaris Doc
EXACTLY - You can get a spankin new PTO end for around $125 if you look hard enough - then have it pressed on wherever you want.

Bryan

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ibreakstuff, I tried to email you for Jims # but my computer is acting up. Can you post jims # so I can get a hold of him?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts