Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed this from a friend to pull the clutch off my f7 and im guessing it wasnt an arctic cat clutch puller. it threaded in fine, a little work but it didnt feel like I had to really put more pressure on it than average. After it didnt work i started threading it out and it was being a real pain, and just snapped.. anyone have any idea how I can remove it??

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would drill a hole in it and use an EZ-out.
I'd say you weren't using the right puller. When you were trying to get it out it got cross-threaded

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I have a feeling that was a very expensive lesson.

As PPM said, drill and easy-out. But if you bottomed it out in the threads and it broke there, it ain't coming out unless you drill it out. That will ruin the threads inside the clutch.

If you use heat, you'll likely ruin the clutch.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You need to bring it to a machine shop and see what they can do. You better hope it's twisted off in the clutch and not in the end of the crank. Looks like a spendy oops to me. Good luck
Riley

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had this happen last year. use a big e-z out so it doesnt break too, drill the hole very carefully, i sprayed a bunch of wd-40 inside there the added lube doesnt hurt, dont know if it helped but it doesnt hurt!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you broke the puller off inside the clutch there's a good chance it's not going to come out with an EZ out. Here's what I've done to get a clutch off (comet on a polaris). Remove the cover plate, slide the moveable sheve out of the way, remove the weights, cut the spider out, cut the spider threads off, slide moveable sheve off, now all you should have left is the shaft (stationary sheve) cut the stationary sheve plate off. Now all you should have left is the shaft that is going over the crank. CAREFULLY cut that shaft off in two cuts, making your first cut on top the rotate 180 and do it again. Remember the part of the clutch that fits over the crank is steel (pressed or molded in the stationary sheve) be carefull.
We all know that if you break a EZ out, it's going to be even worst to get it off, and if you try (like I did) to use a 3 or 4 jaw puller your just going to break the stationary sheve plat anyway, and if you use heat you stand a chance of wreaking your end seal and your going to have to pull motor and change alot more than just a clutch. All in all I'd cut that bit%^ off. The choices are yours and good luck.[thumb]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the ideas, I have the motor out and sitting on a table now, Im going to try the easiest first which seems to be the easy out. I got the puller almost halfway out before it broke so hopefully itll come

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Ahhh good, it's not snapped at the bottom!!!

You may want to consider trying to work it both ways, to work in some oil. That will make removal much easier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I drilled it out and tried an easy out, and no luck at all i cant get it to budge. anyone ever have any luck pulling the clutch off without a puller? maybe adding heat to the crank??

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
chriseisenbraun9 said:
Well I drilled it out and tried an easy out, and no luck at all i cant get it to budge. anyone ever have any luck pulling the clutch off without a puller? maybe adding heat to the crank??
then you taking chances with you seals and stuff

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
chriseisenbraun9 said:
Well I drilled it out and tried an easy out, and no luck at all i cant get it to budge. [highlight=yellow]anyone ever have any luck pulling the clutch off without a puller? maybe adding heat to the crank??[/highlight=yellow]
I guess your not reading the threads that we send to you, because in post #3, #6, and again in #10, it will tell you about using heat. Here's a play on words for ya,("Come man SNAP out of it")and in post #6 I explained to you how to do that with out a puller.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
chriseisenbraun9 said:
A few years ago a friend of mine had a broken clutch that I got off without a puller. I used a cutting tourch. Not to cut the clutch off but to heat it real fast where the stub of the crank is and after it was heated I just tapped it with a small hammer and off it came. You basically have to heat the clutch part where it slides over the crank stub to expand it and it will come off. I would split the case and replace the seals after that.
If it's broken off in the clutch the clutch is junk anyway.
Riley

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A few years ago a friend of mine had a broken clutch that I got off without a puller. I used a cutting tourch. Not to cut the clutch off but to heat it real fast where the stub of the crank is and after it was heated I just tapped it with a small hammer and off it came. You basically have to heat the clutch part where it slides over the crank stub to expand it and it will come off. I would split the case and replace the seals after that.
Riley
[/quote]

True......but I was thinking that he would save lets say a couple hundred not having to get seals , gasket set, and while your in there may as well re-ring it, along with the time into it, not to mention having to get another clutch either way.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I go back to trying to work some oil in, to get the puller out..

If it jammed on the way out, there was junk in the threads. An easy out may not get past that, but if you can get the bolt working back and forth with some oil, it may still come out because the oil will move the junk around.

Use an impact driver and see if you can twist it back in a little. If you can, put some oil in t here, and work it back and forth.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Riley
[/quote]

I would use this as a last resort

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ultrawillie said:
chriseisenbraun9 said:
Well I drilled it out and tried an easy out, and no luck at all i cant get it to budge. [highlight=yellow]anyone ever have any luck pulling the clutch off without a puller? maybe adding heat to the crank??[/highlight=yellow]
I guess your not reading the threads that we send to you, because in post #3, #6, and again in #10, it will tell you about using heat. Here's a play on words for ya,("Come man SNAP out of it")and in post #6 I explained to you how to do that with out a puller.
yes I have been reading them all, I wasnt planning on excessive heat, just warming it up. And I want to try everything else before I have to cut it. I already have the whole top end off the motor, piston kit is coming in the mail and i was already considering doing the bottom end. the easy out just locked up and I stripped the wrench end off of it, so im going to get a new one and try that again. I was going to try working it back and forth but the easyout only goes 1 way you know..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Poo was talking about moving the puller shaft back and forth to work oil in there. Not the easy out.

In my opinion, if you have striped the head off the easy out, why try it again. You're playing with fire. Unless it is broke off flush and you have nothing to grab hold of, try Poo's way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ah ok, well it rounded the head off cause I wasnt using the right tool to turn it, I was using a 3/8 socket which was the closest fit, and its broken off inside the clutch, about an inch and a half in, theres nothing sticking out

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had this problem at my work before. You can try a reverse thread easy out to push the broken peice back in farther. than try a tap to clean the threads then use the normal EZout. not pretty but i've done it before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts