Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Man it’s been a while since I’ve been around here! The place looks great! I’ve got a question for ya:

Have any of you ever raced snocross, or know anyone that races snocross? I’m just talking about locally, not the x-games or anything. Did you buy a snocross sled, get sponsored from a local shop, just use your own sled?

I really think I could be fairly competitive at the local level, but I’m not sure how to get started. I also hate to go buy a snocross sled just to find out that I’m really not all that fast – just the guys I ride with are really slow <grin>. I’m a pretty modest guy – I’ll be the first one to admit that there are few things in life that I’m really really good at, but riding a sled just seems so natural to me. There’s nowhere that I feel more comfortable than on a sled, I get in a zone and the sled just becomes an extension of me. I’ve dreamed about racing sleds since I was a little kid, and today is my 33rd birthday so I’m not getting any younger!!! In the summer I race mtn bikes and road bikes (pedal bikes) which keeps me in pretty good shape physically, so I’m not worried about that aspect.

Alright - anyway, enough of my rambling... I was just wondering if anyone had been there / done that, or knew anyone that had – that could tell me how they went about getting started in the sport. If only shops had “tryouts” like sports teams or something, then I could go give it a shot... Okay now I’m really dreaming...

Appreciate any responses...

Later,
-Mike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
got to the wsa website, it has a lot of good info on regional racing and how to get started..[:)]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
My friend races snocross in Manitoba/Northwest Ontario. He just races sport or maybe semi-pro this year, but he bought his first sled second hand from his brother, and took it from there.

A tip is to go out there and try it if you can get your hands on a race sled. If any of your friends race, or have race sleds, or even just a Z 440 or a Pro X 440 fan, go to the local races and try it one day. The local race circuit has "Trail Sport" which is first time racers only (first year) and up to 500cc machines. (fan or liquid) One guy was riding a mid 80 Indy Trail so take what you have and try it out.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
That is my dream also man..One problem is that their is no snoX track in my area..But if you get the oppertunity to race GO FOR IT..Or I would anyways

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies... I'll check out that wsa website...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
there was a guy on here that raced semi-pro I believe.... dunior was his name, he hasn't posted since at least last winter though, you might want to try and get ahold of him. I think he was about your age. His real name is Doug Ringold. I think I spelled that right. He lives in the twin cities last I knew. He might be able to give you some firsthand tips, I dunno for sure tho.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember him too now that you mention it. I'll see if I can get in touch with him through his profile...

Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Mike,
I've got a few pointers for you to get you started in snocross. I myself have raced snocross for 7 years. I have raced WSA National races, WSA Regional races, WSA District(North and South)races, and the SuperSnowcross(indoor) races. My first bit of advice is to get your hands on a used race sled. You won't be able to get a brand new race sled because only people who are accepted onto the race programs(via applications w/heavy race experience) because of lack of experience. Pick the brand you are most familiar working on, because trust me you will be working on it all the time. Second, get in good w/a local dealer. This will help you get parts for cost and have yourself and the sled available to the knowledge they have. Third, make sure you try to talk to local business for sponsorship. This is an expensive sport so every penny outside of your own helps. Pick out a few races that are close to you and aren't world class so you can get your feet wet w/o the big boys around, but make sure you get the appropriate membership to these races/associations. Lastly, remember to have fun, and make sure you read the rule books to have the right safety equipment for you and the sled. Beware this is an addicting sport, once you start it's really hard to stop. If you have any more ?'s just email me and I'd be happy to help. Thanks.
Jay Hibbard

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by JayH.
[br]Beware this is an addicting sport, once you start it's really hard to stop.
This is the part that scares me. I already have 3 really expensive hobbies...[:0]

I really appreciate your advice Jay! There is a local shop fairly near my house and the guy that owns it races snocross. Once in a while he has a used race sled out front too. I'll have to pay him a visit and see if that goes anywhere. Every time I go in there he's always so damn busy though...

Thanks again!!![8D]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well now you have 4 expensive hobbies, first get a race sled, DON'T try to race a trail sled, you,ll get wasted! Sponsorships are another thing, without any previous experience you will have a hard time finding anyone that wants to cough up money, as they are looking for exposure, and the guys that don't make the feature's don't get exposure. Like the previous person explained, get the brand you are most fimiliar with, I ride Polaris, and not because I think they are THE sled, their a great sled, but more so they are durable and really easy to work on. I have friends that race other brands and even though the sleds are excellent, they really bitch about working on them. I don't mind. Sno-X looks alot easier than it is, I too have always been fast on a sled, and I did real well at racing, couple of points season wins, couple amatuer championships, and the one thing I have to do every week is to get psyched up for it, you will face fears you didn't think exist, you'll have to be able to control emotions like you never thought you would, I call it controlled caous or how ever you spell that. My whole family races, and it has been very rewarding, race the vets class, I race vets, vets II and masters class, I'm 44. We are taking this year off due to injuries, wife is still healing from ACL injury, daughter has a curvature of the spine from a auto accident from last year, and so we are sticking to the trails this year. It's hard to, cuz we joined WSA and everything, and then the report on Meagan came in from the doctor, and the thing I really enjoy about racing is watching my team race and do well. Might be time to retire anyway, we may run some races towards the end of the year, but for now I am making everyone get healed up first. 3 ambulance trips last year. Yuck. Anyway, you will love the people of sno x atleast I can speak for the racers from what was district one south, they are some of the nicest people we have ever met, and we will be there this year off and on to watch and cheer for them. The guys that race vets on up class are alot of fun, we get along well, now don't get me wrong when the flag drops, WERE RACERS but even with all the banging and stuff that goes on out there, we have alot of fun after and everyone seems to be in each others corner, I like to win, but if I am beat by someone who is fast that day, good for them. YEAH RIGHT j/k Anyway, expect to spend some money, now I got set up, our first year with my wife, and three kids racing, the total for the year was $64,386.00. But now last year was alot better we came in at around $39000.00. But again I had us plus two other people racing for us, so money kind of just flows, now in return I have made profits on work that I did in relation to the advertising of about 10,000.00 in profits so net for the year was $29000.00. Don't expect it to be cheap, hotel and food per weekend, $400 to 500, friday practice if you choose $40.00 x 5, race gas and oil $100.00 to $150.00. fuel for tow vehicle and propain for heat in trailer 60.00 to 100.00 parts average about 100.00 per weekend. entry fee's for us were 430.00 per week. Wear and tear on trailer and tow vehicle amounts to about $50.00 or more a week, and so on and so forth. Not trying to scare anyone, but it's not a sport for someone on a budjet. LOL We fortunately have done well and got on the race program through Polaris, and because we kept our sleds from last year for trail sleds, we spent more than if you were to sell your last years sled at haydays or something, then the sleds will run you anywhere from $1500.00 to 3500.00 over what you sold last years for, depending on the brand you select, Polaris by far is the most reasonable on there price. Hope some of this helps. Make sure you get real cozy with you local dealer, common sponsorships with them is usually 30% off so that is a goal to go after, if your not getting that, then check with other dealerships, your second year should you do well should be cost or even some stuff for free, we have been treated real well by our dealer. Good luck, hope to see you at the track, if were racing it's DTR Racing, come on by and say hi.[8D]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dunior,

Thanks for takin' the time to write all that! I really appreciate it! That's really great that your whole family races - sorry to hear about the injuries though...

I'm thinking this may all be a bit more time and $$$ than I can invest, but we'll see what happens. I'd really like to give this a shot...

Anyway, thanks again for all the great advice!!!

-Mike

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
posted by Dunior
Sno-X looks alot easier than it is
lol...I hear ya!! I haven't raced sno-x (have wanted to sooo badly but don't have the sled) but I do race moto-x. It's so easy to watch and go "any 5th grade girl could clear that with her eyes closed" but once you get on the track it's a whole new perspective. Not only are there the jumps and bumps but other riders on 500 pound bulls to deal with.

When I do find a sled I'm very fortunate because there is a nice sno-x facility near me called Gravity Park. That's where I do most on my mx racing and in the winter they doze it for sno and they've got snow machines and everything. Racing is very, very physically demanding. Your body will ache like it has never done before. You gotta get all of the saftey equipment too, and trust me DO NOI cheap out hear!!!! even though it is expensive.

On a side note if anyone has a rolling pro-x liquid cooloed chasis for sale I'm interested[:D]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey mike the local circuit in our area is the Rock Maple circuit. It seems pretty competitive, theres a couple guy's in rock maple that race wsa and x games. There are plenty of different classes as well. If you haven't been to a race you should go check one out this season, they race at loon mtn., ragged mtn and in colebrook NH at the airport there(not much of an airport), they also race in other area of NE. If I had the cash i'd get a used sno-pro and try my luck in the begineer division, just seems pretty time consuming and expensive, oh yea really dangerous too. Every event i've been to at least one racer is taken off on a stretcher.
http://www.rockmaple.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts