Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... its snowed a little this morning, stuck on the ground a little too... Snow before october is usually a pretty good sign.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
yeh I seen snow in MN on the radar yesterday..Looked like lots of snow up north of the great lakes..

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
to the best of my knowledge you can ride anytime you like... I would say they wont start grooming until we have a good 8-10 inch base... the lake is always where i ride first unless we got a foot of fresh snow, that allows me to take the roads to the trails instead of the lake. 10 inches of snow on the road and it's legal to ride on any of the roads. I just found that out from a Cop.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
for those familiar with John Dee's website, here is his snow predictions... he is a meteorologist in the UP of MI.

/polarisman/../images/users/darkstar/snow2.jpg

This is the text that goes along with it...

REGION 1 – The Northwest Midwest: With the exception of the lake snow belts, this is the region that has escaped much of the snows the past 5-7 years and thus is my pick for the best chances of above average snowfall this winter. There are no guarantees here, but I really feel as though the storm track will favor these areas with above average snowfall. I look for temps to be below average for the region as well. Not like last year, which saw Lake Superior become ice covered to about 95%, but still below average for the time period from Thanksgiving through March. The region will also not be completely void of thaws, but the thaws may not be as often or as prolonged as might normally be seen. Taking the forecast one step further, I believe that the northern ½ of MN, the northwest ¼ of WI and the western UP will be the main target for the heaviest snows. Lake effect snows in the UP will likely favor the western UP more than the east, with the exception of the Marquette area which could be included in the above average snowfall zone. After a big year last year, areas from Munising east to Paradise will have to settle for an average snow year

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
that gives me some hope....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]How much snow do you need in MN before they will let you ride?
I am not aware of any law that says you have to have so much snow to ride. At least here in MN. I've seen idiots ride on less than an inch. I guess you could call me one too, sometimes you just get desperate to ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, last year the lakes were frozen up here by about mid november 4-6 inches of ice with about 8 inches of snow on top. We would ride on the lakes but not on land. Of course then it warmed up and everything melted again...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea, we were up doing some fishing in Grand Rapids, MN this weekend, it snowed for about 1/2 hour on saturday afternoon. God I would love to have another Halloween Mega storm like a couple of years ago.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Must continue being a pessimist. Hard while looking at that map...

I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know, I made the mistake of popping in Slednecks 5, man I've got the ITCH bad. I went out to the garage and fired up the xlt just to smell the 2 stroke smoke..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
State groomed trails are closed, regardless of snow conditions, until December 1.

My buddy and I got popped a number of years ago whilst snowmobiling on the Munger trail in November. I honestly had no idea you couldn't ride until Dec. 1st, but typical DNR bastards cut us no slack and gave us each a $40 ticket. Jerks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts