Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i Have a yamaha 485 air cool motor i would like to put in a old yamaha g1 golf cart would it do the same speed as the snowmobile and is clutchig going to need to be changed any tips or recomditions will be takin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there! I’m really new to replying to anything. But golf cart speed will be different in case nobody has answered. I will say it will be much faster! Plus have the 2 stroke sound. Always know when a modified golf cart comes rolling in!
I’d use drive and driven set up from the snowmobile if at all possible.It can be done and encourage you to jump in and getter done. Any golf cart that’s faster than 25 and sweeter sounding than a small robin or Yamaha or small Kawasaki or or or engine is a much happier owner of the cart! And make sure you use the snowmobile expansions/ (muffler optional)!
My son modified a go cart/ stretched and put a 78 John Deere kioritz KEC-440 23LC liquifire engine on it several years ago. Omitted factory radiators and built his own aluminum radiator for it. Has cooling fan etc… after he was ready to run it many moons ago it started and ran- was going to take for a spin just to see how huge the difference was going to be, and it had died before ever getting to try. Life set in got married etc etc. since then it’s been in my shop. This week I finally got the spark it had lost and today I’m going to wrap it up and deliver to him. He will grin ear to ear.
Point is I wasn’t and didn’t spend the fortune they wanted for the cdi unit and a stator that wasn’t anywhere to be found. Closest was having old one rewound. An eBay fella had old old CCW 440 mag and points plate for sale for $50….. most would or will say reverting back to points and condenser from cdi factory set up is unthinkable.Many race machines were non cdi.Many small and big block chevys converted to dual point ignition and pulled wheelies down the track…
My final point is converting this machine to p&c was extremely easy. Checked static timing and adjusted after gapping points and it fired and ran on 4th pull. Now installing electric start since flywheel came ring geared!
If you read all this I’m sure your wore out! Sorry
Let me know if need any other advice
Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts