Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well since mother nature is being a bitch to us Wisconsin fanatics, where is some good trails and good amounts of snow in Minnesota, me and a couple buddies are looking to take a 4-5 day weekend and get some serious miles on. so anyone with good snow and had no rain let me know! thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The North Shore trail looks great according to the snow map. Start in Duluth, or even better in Two Harbors, and head north! I rode 200 miles in one day there last year, so you'll be able to pile the miles on for a long weekend trip. It's a State trail so it does get some use, but it gets attention from the groomers, and is a nice wide highway. The only issue I had last year was big bumps in the corners on the Xtra 10.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Two harbors got hit with the rain too. Go north of Two harbors to the Isabella area. We didn't get hit with the rain.
This was last weekend in Isabella.
2011121827890_11185.jpg

20111217571406_11185.jpg

201112152547406_11185.jpg

If your looking for a place to stay, contact Scott at the Knotted pines.
http://knottedpine.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
achamp101 said:
dont go anywhere in the southern half thats for sure rock solid snow and trials are shit nnow
Makes a great base once groomed put 50 miles on yesterday, nothing bad didn't even hit that much dirt and i'm about 45 miles south of the cities.

Only bad thing was some trails had ice covering over them.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/118779-riley-snow-report

Read posts #19 and #23. That's near Alexandria MN where I'm from. The snow looks awesome around here. I haven't been riding because I can't figure out what's wrong with my sled. It's killing me not getting to ride this great snow. Nobody ever comes here to ride from out of town, so the trails are deserted during the week. We're 140 miles from Minneapolis on I-94.

·
Registered
85 Posts
so the whole southern half sucks? My buddies are looking for somewhere within 8hrs of 61720... can anybody recommend something?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I was just out yesterday in the north metro of Minneapolis, trails are very icy from the rain. Couldn't get traction at all and corners in the woods were scary. Would probably be fine if you ran studs though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if uwait a few weeks we will have good snow again,. heard today we are gonna get about the same snowfall as we did in december, last week in january or first of feb should be gettin it back

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The North shore trails are amazing. I just got back from iding the silver bay/finland/isabella/lusten area and the trails were amazing once you got up the hill.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I went out for 3 hours yesterday i live just south of the cities trails are just fine don't really find dirt. The groomers took that thin layer of ice off the trails now they are smooth and are not hard at all we just had 3 inches of snow so now there is powder on the trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fergus Falls is really good as there was 15" of snow over New Years but the trail system is nothing like they have around Brained, Park Rapids, or Alexandria.

·
Registered
23 Posts
got out on the trails today by austin with the new few inches of snow.. Firstt ones on the freshly groomed trails and they were amazing. Although if I was goin to take a trip I wouldn't suggest comin here they are pretty boring trails just open feilds pretty much. I'd take a trip over to the preston or lanesboro area of mn very scenic country. Big hills and alot of wood riding

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
ROTAX800HOREV said:
Heading up to Grand Rapids MN next thur. and was wondering what the trail conditions are like.
Plenty of snow, good base, and more snow called for this weekend [thumb]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anybody ever stayed at the Forest Lake Hotel or the Pine Grove Hotel in Grand Rapids MN? and if you did is it easy to get to the trail from them, when I asked both of them they said yes, but I've heard that from other places I've stayed at and it wasnt, sometimes owners say that so you will stay there and when you get there its to late.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
2 places with the best trail access is the Americinn and Timberlake lodge. Trail is right behind the places

·
Registered
138 Posts
MX86 said:
2 places with the best trail access is the Americinn and Timberlake lodge. Trail is right behind the places
+1 for Timberlake Lodge. They really cater to snowmobilers there too. They sent their maintenance guy out with tools once to help us repair a group members sled in the lot.

Anyone familiar with the Sugar Hills/shingle mill area South of Rapids? I'm curious if that is all posted/private or if you can still snowmobile up into the hills.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts