Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how effective these things are at throwing snow/ice at the suspension and actually lubricating it enough to prevent hifax melting? That is...do they really work well enough to justify installing them on a 2" lug track for use on packed trails?
My sled has reverse also. Do they create a problem when using reverse?
There are 2 styles I have found. One style mounts to the suspension and the other farther ahead and mounted to the running boards. The running board mount I would think may be better as it scratches the snow farther ahead of the suspension to assure lubrication to all the hifax and not only the back end of the suspension.
Any one have experience with these please upload all you know (not think). Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's also a kit that mounts on the ski.

I personally use the Holz scratchers that mount on the rail, removed all but 2 of bogies and have little to no hyfax wear from last year. I did have to run a trail on a warm day and it was really slushy, got to the lodge and I was drenched from head to foot from the spray of water they were throwing up, but I know I would have had to stop several times to cool off if I wasn't using them.

Bottom line, they work! But, not with reverse, make sure to put them up before backing up.

[red]No commercial posting unless you are a SF Supporter[/red]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ditto. At first I thought it was a gimmick, but installed them and the temps just dive. I had a 2"x144" on my Ultra SPX with the hyperfax, I could drive 40 mph on hardpack without softening the sliders. At 45 mph, you could begin to feel them getting soft.

I also have a pair on the skis.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
They are awesome never run without them anymore!!!! Fab1 what do they cost from you because I am getting them to my door for $40 can you beat that if you can I will think about buying them from you!!!!

DW

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fab, what is MY price for your scratchers?? ;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
yeah really tho you have to pull them up when in reverse, i forgot one time and it was bad

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I will nver own a sled again without ice sctarcers. will drop temps on my sled to around 125 deg. on hard packed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone used the ice scratchers that mount to the running boards. I would think they would be better as they are mounted farther ahead of the rails to provide snow/ice to the front end of the rails as compared to the rail mounted units that only provide lubrication to the rearward length of the rails.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
the ones on the rils dont only pull snow onto the the rear of the rails. the track pulls the snow up front too and lubs all of the rails. never heard of rails mounted to the running boards. trust me I have taken all my wheels off and only run Ice scratchers. my hyfax looks good as new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the scratchers that mount to the running board on my old powder special they work good but they hang on the bottom of the running board and sometimes they get bumped. The ones on the rail are nicely tucked away and work just as good.

·
Registered
963 Posts
well with all of these positive thoughts i am thinking of getting a pair. i heard a little bit on how to put them on from wy rider and would like to hear somemore. are they easy to put on because i don't know if i will have the right tools.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Originally posted by Student Driver
[br]
Originally posted by foxracing
[br]well with all of these positive thoughts i am thinking of getting a pair. i heard a little bit on how to put them on from wy rider and would like to hear somemore. are they easy to put on because i don't know if i will have the right tools.
Buy them.
Read directions.
Wrenches and socket set.
and on some skids a drill and drill bit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.