Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i left my sled outside last night and thought it would be ok but we got a blizzard this morning and through today. I went outside to take it for a ride and it would hardly go at all then when i tried to park it and let it idle it would stall out. I opened the cowling and saw the whole under hood packed with snow. I got as much as i could out but their is still a good amount in their. Any suggestions what to do and when the engine did heat up it cause some snow to melt and get into places. The later i had put it in my garage and i went to start it and it backfired really loud and started running really loud. Anyone know whats going on and what do i do to fix it. 1991 Polaris Indy 650.......thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SOunds like your fuel system has froze up. Dump in some gas line antifreeze, change the fuel filter because they usually get ice pellets in them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and is it ok to just let the rest of the snow under the cowling to burn out?and is their anything else i should check or replace.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
You should be fine just make sure the air box is not full of snow or anything, put it in a heated garage if possible,you can just let the snow melt off they are pretty water proof"Their snowmobiles their going to get water/snow under the hood" Hopefully it will run better once warmed up.[:)]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Chipper did you blow the exhaust apart? I have seen a 650 backfire and blow the seems out of the pipe. Put some deicer in the gas and let it buck. Riley

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
let it sit in a heated garage and once it thaws out put in iso-heet or similiar in the gas, start it up outside and let it run for a few minutes then drain the carbs and you should be set

·
Registered
366 Posts
as far as the snow make sure the air filter is clear that makes my sled run poorly. What i usually do if i can't get my sled into the garage is put an interior car warmer under the hood and put my cover on the sled. I put it at the front pointing down under ther exhaust. and it's usually all good in an hour or 2. when your sled backfired you proll popped off the exhaust. My two cents

Rich

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i went and checked out the sled again today and yes i did pop the exhaust apart and it broke the weld. no i dont know what to do. I think i`ll just tow it over a cliff something. But i checked everything again and i was just seeing how the throttle would work (while not running) And it sticks really bad. I dont know what to do!!!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i went and checked out the sled again today and yes i did pop the exhaust apart and it broke the weld. no i dont know what to do. I think i`ll just tow it over a cliff something. But i checked everything again and i was just seeing how the throttle would work (while not running) And it sticks really bad. I dont know what to do!!!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
thaw it out really good then see how things are. If it broke on the weld you can prolly get it fixed.

Rich

·
Registered
328 Posts
Snow on an engine block I have heard can be bad when it is hot. Just because metal can crack. Am I right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i fixed the throttle now i gotta worry about the exhaust. what should i do, should i replace the springs and get it welded and will it be ok after that or is their anything else i should do.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Blew my 400 exhaust apart on my little 400 before and I just mig welded it.(3 years ago) it's still workin fine. With that blizzard and you say it was a bad one... perhaps alot blew up and under the sled into your exhaust and when you started it, it was like a potatoe in a car exhaust and it blew the seam. Just my 1 1/2 cents

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sweet! Myself and five other guys will be up there Sat. Leaving Waterville at 6am!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts