Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The winner is the Yamaha Apex SE. Why? Because it has power steering. Other competitors were the Ski Doo MX Z ACE 600 and Polaris 800 Pro RMK 155.

In the opening article, editorial director John Prusak writes all about the criteria of why they chose the Apex and that it wasn't their favorite but it scored higher in their criteria. The main criteria that they base sled of the year on it INNOVATION, seemingly that's all that they do base it on. Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of innovation: "the introduction of something new" and "a new idea, method, or device" How is taking power steering from the ATV market innovative? Oh and power steering, really? Its a snowmobile... not an ATV. There is quite a difference between an ATV's steering and a snowmobile's. On an ATV, a rider actually has to put some effort into steering, but on a snowmobile?? Its probably the easiest steering motor vehicle next to a motorcycle. I know that yamaha is some what known for innovative ideas, but this does not apply, if any manufacturer was going to take this idea it would be yamaha, their sleds are astronomically heavy, given they are four-strokes.

Besides the power steering, they also include yamaha's EXUP engine and exhaust technology, which is the four stroke equivalent of variable exhaust. Wait... variable exhaust? That's new.............. [Disappointed]

The Ski Doo ACE 600 is actually innovative and will probably replace the entry level fan class which has been around forever, and other manufacturers will likely develop their own version of the ACE. They held it against Doo because this innovative technology was expensive. Was that in the criteria??

Ski Doo's ACE 600 gets 29 mpg. tisk tisk.

Polaris's 800 RMK 155 is 431 lbs, and utilizes an alternative to welding. lame...

I am a little out-raged at this article. I wonder what the real motive was to make the winner the Apex. Also, not trying to put down Yamaha, power steering might be popular in touring models only, not innovative though.

side note-
I think i saw in American Snowmobiler or something that they ranked the Summit 800 e-tec ahead of the Pro RMK, event though the pro rmk is a totally new chassis with major modifications. Granted the 800 e-tec is a really nice engine, but that technology has already been out for a while. Bad year for Polaris i guess...

·
Registered
784 Posts
X2 on that whole thing. When I saw the article I was like wtf that cant be right. Also stated above why would you need power steering, snowmobiles these days are being built for pussies. Like seriously power steering wooow.[Disappointed]

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MNSLEDNECK56308 said:
Bad year for Polaris i guess...

funny, since there isn't a sled on snow yet, and you rely on magazines to pick the best sled!!!!
Sorry, i over looked that point. I am not saying that it is a bad year for polaris. Its a bad year for poaris's media. No one seems to be really giving them the recognition they deserve. Hollow drive-shaft, carbon fiber, tunnel bonding, wayy lighter, and stiffer mtn sleds. I wish they would make a 121" w/o the pro suspension system, i would really like to see that weight rating.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
wow, you would have to be like 50+ years to ride one of those things and not get laughed at. definitely not innovative.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My view on power streering on a sled, one more thing to go wrong, add to thr price tag, and you add more weight to the sled. All magazines are bias, I never get them to view the snowmobiles, but to view destinations and tips on sled maintenance, etc.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Bames said:
side note-
I think i saw in American Snowmobiler or something that they ranked the Summit 800 e-tec ahead of the Pro RMK, event though the pro rmk is a totally new chassis with major modifications. Granted the 800 e-tec is a really nice engine, but that technology has already been out for a while. Bad year for Polaris i guess...
...but the Summit narrowed its ski stance making it so it actually turns in deep snow! That's much more impressive than the totally improved ride and handling of the lightest factory sled on snow.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I think the "sled of the year" decisions in the magazines as well on the sledding TV shows more or less come down to whoever pays the advertising bill. Or at least it sure seems that's the way the decision is made.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
Stupidest choice ever. That would have been my last.
Stupidest is not a word. Ironic is the word that comes to mind when I see your post. That being said, I do agree, it would have been my last choice.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree with all of you guys. I read the mag and I was like.."[Disappointed]". It did'nt win sled of the year last year and now that it has power steering all of a sudden it's "SLED OF THE YEAR". Haha..Power steering on a sled is retarded. I could understand it winning "Best New Technology" or something. Like mentioned above, it is just one more thing to go wrong and it brings up the sleds price(The Apex is now a few bucks below 15,000). I would'nt be surprised if you lost control at high speeds and around turns because the steering was too sensitive.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This is so lame...if you have to rely on a paid off magazine to know what sled is the best, you just best give up on life. Who the hell would want power steering on a sled?!?! Maybe the lazy. And like said, they turn easy enough already, just more crap to go wrong with it.

To the OP...for the poo frame that's bonded, not lame, that's innovative, but NOT new this year.
And that's why I won't subscribe to these mags.[Disappointed]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Have a look at the new supertrax magazine.. They detail 4 "big" sleds (150 or more HP) and credit Polaris with finally getting the bugs out of the 800 EFI by switching EFI systems, and giving them a top pick.. They also rate the yamaha as top heavy, and not the choice for deep snow.

It also seems the new 800 rush is lightning quick on grass.. http://www.supertraxmag.com/article.asp?nid=1695&rez=992&reload=true Even winning the 1000cc class.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
This is why I do not subscribe to sled magazines anymore. You can get better real world information reading forums and such instead.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the other year on snogoers website the background was a polaris rush design, and the rush happened to win the sled of the year.

the mags have done a terrible dishonor to the sled world. ever since the mags really started pushing the factorys for new technology and pushing the transition of snow cross tech into trail sleds we have never been the same. if the factory try's to run a chassis for more than a couple years the mags start putting it down as old and out dated, doesnt matter if it is a very economic sled to build that does what it needs to do, and is very reliable.
at this point an early fusion or iq body is considered old school. i would love to have an old school sled with an engine that has 5 years on the trail to prove itself.

mags, i cant even believe people still subscribe to them with all the internet info you can get.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ZR600cce said:
wakeboarderboy said:
Stupidest choice ever. That would have been my last.
Stupidest is not a word. Ironic is the word that comes to mind when I see your post. That being said, I do agree, it would have been my last choice.
Soooorry. Dumbest*. Don't think it's very often that I make spelling/grammar errors in my posts though.

1,792 Posts
Bames said:
The winner is the Yamaha Apex SE. Why? Because it has power steering. Other competitors were the Ski Doo MX Z ACE 600 and Polaris 800 Pro RMK 155.

[highlight=red]The Ski Doo ACE 600 is actually innovative and will probably replace the entry level fan class which has been around forever[/highlight=red], and other manufacturers will likely develop their own version of the ACE. They held it against Doo because this innovative technology was expensive. Was that in the criteria??

[highlight=red]Ski Doo's ACE 600 gets 29 mpg[/highlight=red]. tisk tisk.
side note-
It only makes 60 hp. I'll be impressed when it get's it's 29mpg AND makes 150hp.

kingofkings said:
My view on power streering on a sled, one more thing to go wrong, add to thr price tag, and you add more weight to the sled. [highlight=yellow]All magazines are bias[/highlight=yellow], I never get them to view the snowmobiles, but to view destinations and tips on sled maintenance, etc.
Remember, most of them (along with car rags) won't say a negative thing about anything, even if it's true. Advertising $$$$ controls what they will and won't print.
[Disappointed] If you pay attention, EACH brand will have a spot on their cover every year.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
every spring they tell us how great the new models are and how much better. i used to do the new sled thing every couple years. but then it dawned on me, the mags tell me how much better the new sled is than the old one. i still had the old one to ride, yep the newer sled did have some improvements. but when the trail got nasty rough it didnt matter what sled i was on it was a rough trail.

then they come in the middle of the next winter and say oh we are a little disapointed in this model or that model for some lame reason.

I would love to see a mag take a bunch of bone stock off the show room floor sleds, drag them all side by side several different times, run a couple thousand miles on them and then really tell us what happened. did one model have to sit in the shop all winter, did another one really suck the gas compared to what it was suppose to get. did some do amazingly well for what they were.
you will never see it happen that honestly.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with you madcow, that would be the best and most useful article yet.

MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
It only makes 60 hp. I'll be impressed when it get's it's 29mpg AND makes 150hp.
That would be impressive, but that isn't the engine's niche. Just imagine how much more popular that engine would be turbo charged, not to mention more efficient.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts