Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple pf years I've taken a trip out to the Snowies around April 10th or so. The snow conditions have been pretty awesome every time (we were almost snowed in at Laramie last year). The usual group I head out there with isn't going this year due to life changes and such (marriages, job changes, etc.). So I'm looking for 2 to 4 other people to go with.

The last couple years we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabins in one of their large cabins. The Snowy Mountain Lodge, about 1/2 mile away, is closed this year, so we'd have to can the gas in. Cenntenial is only about 10 miles away, so it isn't that big a deal.

I'm 27 years old, and I'm a reasonably decent rider in the deep and steep stuff. I ride a 2002 Polaris 800 RMK, extended to 159, that I just finished rebuilding last fall (including a rebuilt wide bearing crank). I'm looking for other reasonably capable riders with reliable-ish sleds.

If your interested, let me know and we can set something up. I vaugley know the area, so finding some fun stuff to ride/climb in won't be a problem.

Izzni

· Registered
101 Posts
I might be interested...you're talking right by Saratoga right? I was just there...I have some friends of friends in the area and stayed at a pretty decent place when I was there in February. I met met my friends from Minneapolis in Omaha and we left my car and trailer there. I could not commit at this moment but might be able to be talked into going. I could get us hooked up with some cool locals who we could ride with if we ended up going, or we could do solo riding too. I prefer as much off-trail as possible myself.

· Registered
921 Posts
^^^^Saratoga is on the complete other side of the range from Mountain Meadow.

But anyways I was just out there and it was awesome. Lots of base and found some nice boondocking and climbs. Lots of people there since thats about the only place with snow out there.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually met up with some folks from where your at on my way out there before. I suspect that I'll be going out Thursday morning, April 1st, and returning on monday. That sound feasible possibly?

We'd spend about 3 miles on the trails each day, the rest would be off trail. The area around Mountain Meadow Cabins really doesn't need trails.

· Registered
566 Posts
thats for damn sure ill meet you guys there im only 2 hours north right now theyve got over 120 inches of snow last time i was there we were in 3 feet of fresh powder it looked like a grave yard with all the skis sticking up and that was just right off the trail. let me know what days you guys will be down there and ill join in for a day or 2

· Registered
16 Posts
Izzni said:
The last couple pf years I've taken a trip out to the Snowies around April 10th or so. The snow conditions have been pretty awesome every time (we were almost snowed in at Laramie last year). The usual group I head out there with isn't going this year due to life changes and such (marriages, job changes, etc.). So I'm looking for 2 to 4 other people to go with.

The last couple years we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabins in one of their large cabins. The Snowy Mountain Lodge, about 1/2 mile away, is closed this year, so we'd have to can the gas in. Cenntenial is only about 10 miles away, so it isn't that big a deal.

I'm 27 years old, and I'm a reasonably decent rider in the deep and steep stuff. I ride a 2002 Polaris 800 RMK, extended to 159, that I just finished rebuilding last fall (including a rebuilt wide bearing crank). I'm looking for other reasonably capable riders with reliable-ish sleds.

If your interested, let me know and we can set something up. I vaugley know the area, so finding some fun stuff to ride/climb in won't be a problem.

Izzni
Hey Izzni,
I don't know if you have secured any trip plans yet, but I'm planning on going with two other guys to the Snowys Mar 30 thru April 3. We are trying to look for a forth rider to go with us. One guy has a 08 Rev XP 800, the other a 600 RMK, I've got a 05 M6. Let me know if your interested at all. We are going to be making hotel reservations within the next few days.
Brady

· Registered
4,011 Posts
brady.peters said:
Izzni said:

Izzni
Hey Izzni,
I don't know if you have secured any trip plans yet, but I'm planning on going with two other guys to the Snowys Mar 30 thru April 3. We are trying to look for a forth rider to go with us. One guy has a 08 Rev XP 800, the other a 600 RMK, I've got a 05 M6. Let me know if your interested at all. We are going to be making hotel reservations within the next few days.
Brady
I'm looking to go those EXACT dates, home on April 3rd, for Easter.

Where are you guys located? How old are you? What kind of riding you like to do?

· Registered
16 Posts
I live in Boyden Iowa. The other guys are from George Iowa and Archer Iowa, all within 20 minutes of each other. I think we're planning on leaving from Boyden here. I'm 23, one guy is 21, and the last is my uncle who is 41. My uncle and I prefer off trail boondocking and the occasional climb. The other likes both boondocking and hill climbing, so we'll probably try to do both. We're taking an 09 F-150 with a four place trailer, it can hold five if need be. As of last night we were talking about leaving tuesday night after work and drive most of the way and get a hotel, or if we feel like it go all the way. Ride Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. We talked about staying up there Friday night and leaving Saturday morning, but I think we're leaning toward loading up Friday night and driving till we're tired and get a hotel. That way we'll be home on time on Saturday. My phone number is 712-348-4736 and email is [email protected] Let me know if that is going to work. We are all pretty flexible on the schedule too, except we all have to be back Saturday night at a decent time.
Brady

· Registered
566 Posts
im still available if you guys are looking for someone who knows that area

· Registered
16 Posts
quick said:
im still available if you guys are looking for someone who knows that area
That would be awesome. The other two guys in my group have been to the Snowy Range several times, but it never hurts to have a local show us where all the good snow is. Our plans so far are to stay in the mountains somewhere for sure Wednesday and Thursday night. I posted more detailed plans previously. I think we're looking at staying in Centennial either at the Old Coral or the Friendly Motel. We are open to any suggestions. Let me know what your thinking

· Registered
566 Posts
well im laid off right now so i can meet you guys when or where ever and im not sure bout either of those places never stayed there but its a bed and a shower. but good glad your going with some one thats been out here before and what length track you all coming out here with as long as theyre 144 and over you should be good less we dont get snow between now and then you should be ok for the real deep stuff i run a hopped up 800 rmk with a 159 my ole lady aka polaris queen runs a polaris 700 with 144 that dont do to bad but could do better. anyways let me know your exact plans are pm me or get on here or whatever works for you guys im 23 and been riding since i was 9 so dont worry bout me not knowing what to do

· Registered
16 Posts
quick said:
well im laid off right now so i can meet you guys when or where ever and im not sure bout either of those places never stayed there but its a bed and a shower. but good glad your going with some one thats been out here before and what length track you all coming out here with as long as theyre 144 and over you should be good less we dont get snow between now and then you should be ok for the real deep stuff i run a hopped up 800 rmk with a 159 my ole lady aka polaris queen runs a polaris 700 with 144 that dont do to bad but could do better. anyways let me know your exact plans are pm me or get on here or whatever works for you guys im 23 and been riding since i was 9 so dont worry bout me not knowing what to do
The Rev is a 146, I'm not sure about the RMK( he actually just bought a new 800 yesterday). Mine is a 141, but I'm hoping that being lighter will help stay on top of the snow, that and we've got two snobunjees.

· Registered
566 Posts
with it being spring and these wet heavy snows we been gettin they shouldnt do to bad. and do any of you guys have avalanche equip shovel beacon probe centeial arlington and the eastern side of the snowies arent to prone to slide but a shovel is a plus dont go out and spend a grand on shit you may ever have to be around once in a great while. but a shovel would be great. anyways let me know when you guys are gonna be heading this way

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Conditions aren't the greatest at the moment but good snow can be found if you know where to look. I guess all the climbs are pretty setup so you guys shouldnt have too much trouble. Just talked with my old man who got vertical on one of the hills with not enough speed going up and his sled went over backwards. He's not amazingly skilled and should have turned out sooner. They road a lot of libby creek and NO trail I guess because U trail is so beat up at the moment. Just something to consider.

Brady, Old Corral is definately the nicer of the two establishments. I would recommend them. They are under new ownership and the people who own Winter Creek Condo's are currently managing the hotel also. Their names are Brett and Mira and they are super nice people. The food is pretty dang good there also. If your looking for some amazing pizza, try out the beartree just up the street. Some of the best pizza I've ever had.

· Registered
16 Posts
quick said:
with it being spring and these wet heavy snows we been gettin they shouldnt do to bad. and do any of you guys have avalanche equip shovel beacon probe centeial arlington and the eastern side of the snowies arent to prone to slide but a shovel is a plus dont go out and spend a grand on shit you may ever have to be around once in a great while. but a shovel would be great. anyways let me know when you guys are gonna be heading this way
We don't have any avalanche gear, but I think we can round up a shovel or two. We are going to be making reservations tonight or tomorrow night. Are you planning on driving down each day to ride or are you going to stay with us?

· Registered
566 Posts
where are you guys staying at and how much are rooms? im 2 hours north so i dont think id be driving back and forth every day for however many days and depends where your all wanting to go its snowing in casper right now its wet but its snow. so out of your group whos all been out here before?

· Registered
16 Posts
ZR600cce said:
Conditions aren't the greatest at the moment but good snow can be found if you know where to look. I guess all the climbs are pretty setup so you guys shouldnt have too much trouble. Just talked with my old man who got vertical on one of the hills with not enough speed going up and his sled went over backwards. He's not amazingly skilled and should have turned out sooner. They road a lot of libby creek and NO trail I guess because U trail is so beat up at the moment. Just something to consider.

Brady, Old Corral is definately the nicer of the two establishments. I would recommend them. They are under new ownership and the people who own Winter Creek Condo's are currently managing the hotel also. Their names are Brett and Mira and they are super nice people. The food is pretty dang good there also. If your looking for some amazing pizza, try out the beartree just up the street. Some of the best pizza I've ever had.
Thanks for the info.

quick said:
where are you guys staying at and how much are rooms? im 2 hours north so i dont think id be driving back and forth every day for however many days and depends where your all wanting to go its snowing in casper right now its wet but its snow. so out of your group whos all been out here before?
We're going to talk more tonight about lodging, but from what ZR600cce is saying we might look into the Old Coral. I called them last week and they are $70 a night for two and just $10 more per person. The guy I talked to was also very nice, we talked about sledding for a bit. The Friendly Store and Motel was around $55 or $60, but I think they are more limited on rooms.
I'll update you later when I get a chance to talk to the other guys.
Of our group we've all been out there before. I've only been there once, but the other two have been out at least 4 or 5 times before.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.