Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, as most of you know I am trying to learn about this sport and buy a sled in a short amount of time. After looking through the paper today I found 2 2000 Polaris 500XC snowmobiles and a trailer for 7K. The man is selling them because his son just died in a car accident 3 weeks ago and he is no longer interested in the sport. So I am going to take a look at them tomorrow. Can anyone give me advice on these sleds, was that a bad model year, etc. I can save a substantial amount of money by buying used, and find out if I like the sport before investing 20K, so some honest help here would be appreciated. I plan on doing trail riding, not the lakes just yet, so maybe a 500cc motor will suit me fine. Also does anyone know the HP or MPH this will put out. Thank you in advance.

[red]Moved to General by Erick[/red]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Walt, This should have been under General not bugs and glitches. Maybe they will move it. Those should be good sleds that are capable of 80+ mph. More than enough to start on and trail on. Look at miles, track, hifax, miles, and screw out the plugs and look at piston tops. With the prices I see on new carry overs you may be able to get new sleds and trailer for not much more.[:D]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
BJW - The sleds are worth about $6k US. Depending on the type age and condition of the trailer the deal should be good to excellent. If the sleds are low miles ~ 2,000 IMO and they are clean, then they should be right up your alley. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Welcome to TUSF Walt,

Just in case my sig isn't showing up for you, I have a '99 500 XC, and love it.
The only dif between mine and those is graphics.

Polaris doesn't give hp ratings on their stock sleds, but it should be between 100 and 108 hp.

Top end does get over 100 mph on lake according to the speedo, but probably more like 95 ground speed. Most of my riding takes place well under 80, so it deosn't really matter.

This is a little more than a beginners sled, although some 7 & 800 guys will disagree, IMO a 500 liquid is perfect balance between power and weight. It's very easy to ride and handle, and especially start on cold days, as me and a bud with an F7 found out on a frosty -37 C morning.

Can't speak to the price, as I am in Canada, but it sounds from others that it's a great deal.

Go for it, although I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to lowball a man who just lost his son.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
$2500 tops each sled+ trailer..The above hp sounds a little high as my 2000 Triumph 600 triple is 100hp, which I paid $3100 for last year in mint condition with 640 miles.Blue book price does not mean a thing when it comes to sleds. It is what someone is actually willing to pay.Here is a 2000 xc500 that was on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42597&item=2435291083

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Only problem with Ebay is that you have to get them from the sellers location in some cases that could be a significant amount of cash.
The 500's are great sleds unless you intend to ride a lot in deep powder they are going to be all you want for a first sled. They handle great, there light and in general just a blast to ride. If it is an aluminum trailer then he is only asking about $2750 each for the sleds because a good aluminum trailer is a couple of grand new and worth between $1000-$1500 used.
He isn't selling them so cheap that you'd be stupid to look elsewhere but IMO they are a good deal (assuming they are in good-excellent condition).

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]..The above hp sounds a little high as my 2000 Triumph 600 triple is 100hp
I am no expert, and am first to admit I may be wrong, but I thought that the 600 triples were pushing about 115 hp??

I just found my Polaris catalogue from '00, and the salesman wrote 95 hp next to the Indy 500 and 105 hp next to the 500 XC.
Of course that is by no means correct either.

If my info is off here please straighten this out. Anybody out there with stock dyno numbers on these machines?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
(mine)
1997 XLTsp = 97hp

2000 Triumph = 100hp (wonder where they got the additional 3hp from?)

To get to 115+hp, the 'ol xlt/triumph would have to be piped.

[edit] I went to the artic cat site, who publishes hp figures on thier site. The 2002 ZR/ZL500 models have a published hp of 97.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not trying to low ball the guy, I am just trying to make sure he is being fair. These sleds are going to a good home (like their puppies or something). From what the guy has said their condition is excellent. I have also talked to the local snowmobile dealer. I am probably going to have them checked over to make sure they are in good running condition. The seller told me he would start them up and let me ride around the grass if I wanted. I figure if they were a piece of junk, he would try to hide that. I will keep you posted. And it sounds like the XC 500 is an excellent sled.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Do the 2000's have exhaust valves, if so 100 to 105 horse it a good estimate. If they don't have the valves then I would lean more towards 95 maybe 100 hp. Either way, sounds like a good deal, assuming they are in great condition like the guy said.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
[quote..The above hp sounds a little high as my 2000 Triumph 600 triple is 100hp...[/quote]

That may be true, but it is also a prime example of what killed the triple.

Remember what made the xlt so popular back in the early ninties. The abilitly to make a triple motor that was lighter then the twins of it's time, thus the name xlt or xtra lite triple.

Then in the mid ninties polaris got smart and said, well lets use that same technology and apply it to our twins and viola, the XC was born. Then they went a step further and said what other things can we do to make the sled lighter and viola, the 97 XC600 is 20 pounds lighter then my 97 XLTsp, both have the same reported hp however.

Then they added flatside carbs, reeds, exhaust valves, aluminum bulkheads, lighter suspension, etc...and viola, the 2003 XC600sp weighs about 40 pounds less, and has 15+ more horsepower.

By the mid ninities the XLT was a cash cow, and Polaris milked that sucker until nothing was left, then they shot it, and left it for dead.

Polaris never bothered to incorporate the weight savings and hp increasing techniques into their triples. It's sad, cause there is no reason why we can't have 470#, 120hp triple made by Polaris.

Oh well, I'm bitter, but I'll get over it when my next sled is a Yammie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I saw the 2 Polaris XC 500 sleds and the trailer tonight. Well to say the least, I cant pay the guy fast enough. I am worried he wont want to sell them or someone will offer more. There are in impecible condition. He knows he is giving them away, but he had an issue. Anyway I have a question. Both sleds have studs on them. Are studs removable, Can you leave them on all the time. Anything input you can give on studs would be great. If I wanted new tracks how much are they? Thank you, Jerry

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
There is no reason to remove them IMO. I have 144 studs in my Triumph. This is the first sled i have owned that i studded, and let me say that every one i own after this will be studded too. They are a great safety factor when it comes to braking, and obviously it will help you accelerate also. You can leave the studs in all the time, they are made to take the punishment of all sorts of riding conditions. I have heard of people removing the studs, but i personally feel that it weakens the track because you will be left with the holes that the studs once filled. If you are sure you do not want the studs i would just cut the studs off flush with the lock nut and leave the rest of the stud on the track. I'd just leave them alone, they are a great safety factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys made a great point about the studs. I will keep them on, I didnt realize how much of a safety device they could be. I guess I will see what brand they are in case a few break, I will have replacements.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]..The above hp sounds a little high as my 2000 Triumph 600 triple is 100hp
I am no expert, and am first to admit I may be wrong, but I thought that the 600 triples were pushing about 115 hp??

I just found my Polaris catalogue from '00, and the salesman wrote 95 hp next to the Indy 500 and 105 hp next to the 500 XC.
Of course that is by no means correct either.
You are probley thinking of the triple/triple xcr, they are around 115+hp.. But the single piped sled is lower..

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you buy the sleds, leave the studs on! I wouldn't be to worried about breaking any if you plan mostly to trail ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts