Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever heard of white start snowmobile auction. I believe it is in southern michigan in the town of bronson. I was just basically if anyone knows anything about it. Here is the web site
http://www.snowmobileauction.com/

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Heard of it. There is alot of junk there from what I have heard. If you are not up on things it would be good to take someone that works on and really knows snowmobiles with you. Taking a compression tester is a must.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i know what a compression tester is and does but know of any place to get a cheap and effective one? I thought the place sounded pretty cool but you say a lot of chunk...hmm any other input?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i would but make sure you have a good compression tester i have a mac tools comp. tester that i paid a good chunk of change for and will never buy anything else for a compression tester

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can imagine that a mac tools compression tester would be a bit expensive but i would use it about 1 time a year that is the thing...i could warrant the cost

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you dont want to spend a bunch of money on a compression tester, use your thumbs. Do it for awhile and you can tell the difference b/t ~20 psi, atleast I can.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm how exactly can you tell just by feeling how much preasure pushes against it. Do they leave you start the snowmobiles up at the auction because you could probably tell a lot from that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't buy a sled that I can't start to see how it runs. there was a sled on ebay, it was a 89 ski doo escapade. I don't know if any of you are familier with this sled but it is basicly a tank. its a 500 that weighs close to 600 lbs. anyway the sled was just on the other side of town so we went to scope it out. when the guy started it I slowly backed out of the garage in fear it was goin to explode. there was a high pitch screeching noise and the guy had to prime it to keep it goin the whole time. just by looking at you could tell it was a piece. but you had no idea until you started it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by alex2929
[br]hmm how exactly can you tell just by feeling how much preasure pushes against it. Do they leave you start the snowmobiles up at the auction because you could probably tell a lot from that.
Dude, you pull it over and press your thumb on the spark plug holes and you can feel the compression. No need to start it up to know the compression. But I am with 377safari, I would always want to start up a sled and take it for a ride before I even thought about it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The spec is + or - 10% between cylinders. There is NO WAY you are gonna be able to tell that with your thumb! Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone recommend on here.If you can't afford a compression tester
that means you can't afford a sled.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can find dealers unloading brand new sleds for a good price too.Guy I work with bought a new 2002 66XC SPlast year,full warrenty and all.Rental companies bring n there sleds as well.
Rich

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have any Idea how much a simple compresion tester would cost. Its not that i can't afford one its just that i don't think I need a Mac tools one like someone said.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You should be able to find something like this for under $25 at an auto parts store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524831104&category=25414

·
Registered
117 Posts
homemade piston tester. make a tight seal around the piston and force the air in to a tube 12 inches tall with a bouncy ball (with a diameter that fills 97% of the hole and roughly 1.54867 oz) in it. if the seal is tight and the pressure is over 142.36 cm of Hg the bouncy ball with leave the tube and you then know the piston/cylender is good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts