Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain is skipping. At first I thought it was my track, but there was no change after tightening it up. It only skips if I really floor it. My question is, do I have to buy a new chain, or is there a way to tighten the chain up?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Im not fimiliar with that type of chaincase but those two rollers on each side of the chain should thread inwards somewhere or have ajustements on them. Try tightening it.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Was there metal filings in the fluid or in the bottom of the case when you removed the cover? If you have slipping in the chain and gears, I would suspect there to be metal filings.

It looks like your chain might be bad. It appears there is a couple slight kinks in it between the right roller and the upper gear. It could be an illusion though. It's also hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there might be excess slack on around the bottom gear. It is possible that the chain has stretched.

If you are a firm believer that it is slipping inside the chaincase, I would start out with a chain...

It is also possible that your drive sprockets and/or inner track lugs are worn and are causing the slipping. If they are worn too much, you would need alot of tension to keep it from slipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. It looked as if there may have been a slight amount of metal in the oil, and the oil was black. The "kinks" that you are seeing is from slack in the chain - which is why I was wondering if there was a way to tighten it up. The drive sprockets seem to still be in good shape.

·
Registered
764 Posts
possible that spring is worn and streched. Try replacing that. That is the only way to tighten that style of chaincase. Or you can invest in a manual adjuster from cat, you take the plug out of the case on the right hand side and its pretty much a bolt you screw in.

What you might be hearing though is track ratcheting though.... i think it would take alot to make the chain slip

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Redneck13x said:
Not sure what that is off of. But i have a chain case, gears, chain for a 1993 AC lynx and looks identical.
The chain case is off of a 1992 Arctic Cat EXT Special

"possible that spring is worn and streched. Try replacing that. That is the only way to tighten that style of chaincase. Or you can invest in a manual adjuster from cat, you take the plug out of the case on the right hand side and its pretty much a bolt you screw in."

I guess I'll try and get the spring replaced. Do you have a link on where I can find the manual adjuster your talking about?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i got my moms ultra to skip the gears. but that was because the tenioner came all the way loose

·
Registered
844 Posts
Kinks between top and bottom gear don't look right.
Is it something else, or is that a broken link at about
the two O'clock position on the bottom gear? see the little pointy thing?

Remove the cotter pins holding the chain tensioner spring on.
should be able to push the two "hooks" together and slide them
thru the spring, now do this with the other two hooks, removing the
spring completely. Now, stretch it out about an inch longer
than it is right now. re-insert little hooky things and re-assemble.
should give you a little more spring tension.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cat-sass said:
Kinks between top and bottom gear don't look right.
Is it something else, or is that a broken link at about
the two O'clock position on the bottom gear? see the little pointy thing?

Remove the cotter pins holding the chain tensioner spring on.
should be able to push the two "hooks" together and slide them
thru the spring, now do this with the other two hooks, removing the
spring completely. Now, stretch it out about an inch longer
than it is right now. re-insert little hooky things and re-assemble.
should give you a little more spring tension.
I won't be able to work on the snowmobile until tomorrow afternoon because I have to work until then, but after taking a closer look at the chain, there is not one, but two places where a link is broken, -the chain has six links wide. I'm guessing I will have to replace the chain. Anyone have a good idea where I should shop for one? 201022219228211_32090.jpg

·
Registered
764 Posts
so upon further research, the ZR sleds had the screw chain adjuster, the ext's had the spring. in the picture it is #14

2010223111713617_8421.png

picture came from www.brownsleisureworld.com

·
Registered
702 Posts
asdgq9 said:
I won't be able to work on the snowmobile until tomorrow afternoon because I have to work until then, but after taking a closer look at the chain, there is not one, but two places where a link is broken, -the chain has six links wide. I'm guessing I will have to replace the chain. Anyone have a good idea where I should shop for one? 201022219228211_32090.jpg
Go to your A/C dealer and get a new one, dont mess around with used ones. You might be able to find them chaper one online than your dealer though. Sorry, I dont know any good online stores...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
powder_special_900 said:
so upon further research, the ZR sleds had the screw chain adjuster, the ext's had the spring. in the picture it is #14

2010223111713617_8421.png

picture came from www.brownsleisureworld.com
Thanks for everyones help. I bought the chain, spring, and some AMSOIL Series 2000 synthetic chaincase oil today. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
my sled seems to do the same thing after the past few weekends and the track isnt loose and the belt isnt missing any teeth..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts