Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A snowmobiler was killed less that 2/10th of a mile from my house. His sled broke down in the middle of the road and I truck was driving by and hit him. Killing him instantly. Although I did not know this person, this just makes me think about safety more and more.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I feel really bad for his family, Snowmobiling is a dangerous sport. Anything can happen at anytime

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Thats horrible.. I also live in NY and last night there were 3 deaths on the news. One was a 16 yr old kid, riding at night, hit a cement wall, body went over the wall, and into the creek. Sad Sad Sad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes i saw that on the news. There is to many snowmobile deaths lately, its sickening...

Try these...

Heres One...

Martinsburg, Lewis County (WSYR-TV) – A Camillus man is in critical condition after a snowmobile accident Thursday that killed one person.
The Lewis County Sheriff’s Office says Brian M. Gale, 38, of Camillus, was snowmobiling when he collided, head-on, with David A. Longo Jr., 28, of Duanesburg.

It happened around noon, off Graves Road in the Town of Martinsburg, Lewis County.

Both men were thrown, according to the sheriff’s office report, with Longo landing near the side of the road. He was then hit by the snowmobile his brother was riding. Longo was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gale was airlifted to University Hospital, where’s he is listed in critical condition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And another....

Town of Sullivan, Madison County (WSYR-TV) – State Police are investigating a deadly overnight snowmobile crash.
16-year-old Robert Hart Jr. of Kirkville, was heading west on the State Canal Path in Sullivan around 1:20 Thursday morning, when he struck a cement wall that was part of a bridge.

Hart was ejected from the snowmobile, thrown into Chittenango Creek.

Hart's friend was behind him when the crash happened and called 911. When police pulled hart out of the creek, he was still alive, but died at University Hospital a short time later.

Investigators say Hart was coming from a friend's house after working his after school job at the pizza shop.

They don't think he was going much faster than the 25 miles-per-hour speed limit, but they think he must have missed a sign about 200 feet away warning snowmobilers to stay left due to a bridge ahead.

Police don't think drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash.

He was a high school junior in the East Syracuse-Minoa Central School District.

The East Syracuse Minoa School District says it's been tough news for not just hart's classmates, but for his two younger brothers who are in middle school.

In a statement, school district superintendent Dr. Donna DeSiato said, “The East Syracuse-Minoa Central School District mourns the tragic loss of Robert Hart Jr. and we extend our deepest, heartfelt sympathy to his family at this time. Robert was a fine young man and a role model in our community.”

ES-M is on break this week for the regent’s exams so the school asked us to stress that even though school's not in session, counseling services are available for both the high school and Pine Grove Middle School.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is also one that happened sumtime last week in Red Feild NY, man was going to fast at the wrong time, driving down the road on his snowmobile and drove into the side of a house!!!

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
^ Add this one from NY to it.. Happended the other day

http://post-journal.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=11688

Jamestown Eye Doctor Dies In Snowmobile Accident In Bear Lake

By CHUCK HAYES/DEAN WELLS

1/24/2007 - BEAR LAKE — A Warren ophthalmologist who practiced in Jamestown was killed when he was thrown from his snowmobile near Bear Lake late Monday night.

Dr. Andrew M. Keverline, 32, of 17 Drumcliffe Drive., Pleasant Township, practiced ophthalmology in Warren and Jamestown with Seneca Eye Surgeons Inc. He was also a staff member of Warren General Hospital. The accident took place at 11:15 p.m. Monday on Peterson Hill Road, three-quarters of a mile south of Route 957 in Freehold Township.

The State Police in Corry said Keverline was operating a snowmobile north on Peterson Hill Road and was unable to negotiate a right-hand curve in the road. Keverline’s snowmobile left the highway and struck a snowbank along the south lane of the Peterson Hill Road.

Keverline, who was wearing a snowmobile helmet, was ejected from the snowmobile. He was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by Gary Sickler, Warren County deputy coroner. State troopers were assisted at the scene by volunteer firefighters from Bear Lake and Wrightsville as well as Corry ambulance personnel.

Keverline was a member of Seneca Eye Surgeons Inc., an ophthalmic practice founded by his father, Dr. Paul O. Keverline.

‘‘On behalf of the entire Warren General Hospital family, medical staff, board of directors, employees and volunteers, we offer our deepest sympathies to the Keverline family,’’ said John Papalia, hospital chief executive officer, in reaction to Monday’s accident. ‘‘This unexpected loss is a tragedy for the family, for those in the health care field and for our entire community. We offer our thoughts, prayers and condolences to the family. Dr. Andy Keverline will certainly be missed by all of us.’’

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]Thats horrible.. I also live in NY and last night there were 3 deaths on the news. One was a 16 yr old kid, riding at night, hit a cement wall, body went over the wall, and into the creek. Sad Sad Sad

that cement wall is about a half mile from my house....lots of ice buildup in that particular spot.anybody crossing over lakeport road on the canal watch out!!!keep safety in mind at all times.ride safe

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its just unfortunate that these types of things happen on a day to day basis. It could be any of us.

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
Originally posted by trailviolator
[br]
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]Thats horrible.. I also live in NY and last night there were 3 deaths on the news. One was a 16 yr old kid, riding at night, hit a cement wall, body went over the wall, and into the creek. Sad Sad Sad

that cement wall is about a half mile from my house....lots of ice buildup in that particular spot.anybody crossing over lakeport road on the canal watch out!!!keep safety in mind at all times.ride safe
They said they had no idea why the kid didn't slow down and make the turn. There was a sign up showing use caution and everything. You think he went to stop and slid on the ice?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
that's my though exactly like i said it's real close to the house and that's where i get on the trail and it's been icy.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe he was going way to fast??? Was he the only one riding?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Door County Man Dies In Snowmobile Accident
(WFRV) DOOR COUNTY, Wis. A Door County man is dead after hitting a tree with his snowmobile.

According to Door County authorities, 47-year-old Rocky Marth from the Sturgeon Bay area was alone when his snowmobile went off the road and hit a tree.

The crash happened Thursday morning just before 2:30 on Wood Lane Road near Riley's Bay Road in the Township of Gardner near Sturgeon Bay.

Marth died at the scene.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

To make it even worse is the fact that the trails aren't even open yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
that sucks. one of my friends, who is not a snowmobiler, says that they are suicide on skis. there has been a few deaths here in SD too, so far this winter. like someone said earlier, things can be going great, and one little mistake can change your life, or even end it. just be careful out there, know your limits, and don't go past them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts