Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i'm in the process of writing a paper for an english class regarding snowmobile emissions and the yellowstone "ban." if anyone has information, statistics or relevent internet sites it would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think the government (or EPA?) will be requiring that all new 2-strokes have to meet certain emissions levels by 2006? or something like that. 4-strokes have been under lots of scrutiny as to how well they will work in a snowmobile and it seems they are having great success. The power-to-weight ratio of a 2-stroke is still superior and i don't think we want to phase them out by any means. One significant contribution to keeping 2-stroke machines in our future is with the continuing development of direct-injection because they have shown test results with emission levels even lower than some 4-strokes!

One such example is Polaris' FICHT system used in their PWC's, but they are applying it to snowmobiles now and i found a link to a demonstration of how direct injection works: click here

There's tons of information on snowmobile bans, emissions, etc...
Good luck on the report.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I think that if you don't have the current (November) snowgoer you might want to pick it up. It had information on the CSC (clean snowmobile challenge) and that it was won by a 2 STROKE with direct injection it was actually prretty cool

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
TWO- STROKE ENGINES PRODUCE LOWER EMISSIONS THAN FOUR-STROKE ENGINES?

Attention environmentalists! The latest "talk of the town" is that some students from Colorado State University have developed a two-stroke engine that actually produces LESS emissions that its four-stroke counterpart. CSU students competing in the third annual Clean Snowmobile Challenge, sponsored by the Society of Automotive Engineers, grafted their idea from two sources: natural gas compressor engines and Ski-Doo personal watercraft.

The plan was to utilize the injection technology used by Ski-Doo and Australian company Orbital Engine Corporation, and present it in a more affordable format. While the Orbital system is expensive, the CSU students' design added only $500 in equipment to a standard snowmobile.

Using a direct fuel injection system, the CSU students were able to reduce carbon monoxide emissions by 99.4 percent and unburned hydrocarbons by 89 percent. Obviously, this presentation has enormous implications not only to the snowmobile industry (which has suffered attacks from a variety of environmental agencies over current two-stroke emissions), but also to the many areas of the world seeking to adapt these cleaner engines to the millions of two-stroke engines currently in use. What effect the CSU design will have in the "real world" remains to be seen.

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!
'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts