Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and to snowmobiling so I have a few questions about what type or brand helmet, jacket/bibs, ect. you would recommend. All my riding will be done in Michigan and on the groomed trails, with the occasional off trail powder riding. Any info should help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I know this probably is a pretty vague answer. But, go to a dealer you trust or someone here suggests and go check out some gear/ask questions because they can hook you up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My post here may be worthless to some but WELCOME :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
What have you been looking at for a helmet? There are a lot of good relevant threads already on here reviewing helmets/gear. You can search for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wear a Shoei street helmet and swear by them, but they dont make snow helmets so I was thinking either HJC or G max.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
It's really going to depend on your price range, and what you need out of your gear.

Castle-X and FXR are two popular entry level brands of gear. I've had a Castle-X jacket in the past, and was pleased with it. I've heard their quality has gone downhill in recent years though.

HMK, Klim, and Motorfist are a few of the higher end brands, HMK being the cheapest of the three listed. Personally, I rock HMK gear. I use it in the flatlands of ND to the steep and deep of West Yellowstone. I've never been cold nor wet with their gear. My jacket, bibs, boots, and backpack are all HMK.

Klim is what most mountain riders will recommend, but you'll have to fork out a pretty penny for them. Motorfist is also geared more towards mountain riders, and is a relatively new in the scheme of things...also not cheap.

You also can't rule out brand specific gear from Cat, Doo, Poo, or Yammi if you don't mind wearing brand specific colors and logos.

I would find any dealers close to you and start browsing. Try on many different brands/styles and see what fits you.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The best advice would be to go to a dealer and try on some gear and see what fits you best. I've worn Castle-X gear for the last 3 years and have been happy with it. I've got friends that wear the FXR gear and I think that stuff is pretty good too. It may be wise to pick out more of a general color instead of clothes that are color matched to your sled just in case you decide to trade in a couple of years.

For helmets the field is wide open there. Some guys prefer the snowcross style helmet with goggles, others prefer the full face helmets, and some like the modular helmets. Try some on and see what you like best. HJC offers a nice selection of helmets that are reasonably priced.

The Dennis Kirk website www.denniskirk.com has a nice selection of snowmobile clothing an helmets. For me I like to page through a catalog and see whats available and what the pricing should be before heading out to a retail store.

There are a lot of great topics on this site as well about helmets. Just click on the search feature in the upper left side of the screen and type in what you're looking for.

Welcome to Snowmobile Fanatics and I hope some of this was helpful to you. If you need more information, don't be afraid to ask, there are a lot of great people here that love to talk about sledding and helping their fellow sledder out!

·
Registered
195 Posts
i started out with a black coldwave jacket and black polaris pants because you can wear black to any sled and there is no bashing thing going on but i am a polaris fan and i have a Polaris jacket but i stick to my coldwave jacket

for helmets i have two kinds: the first one is more for trails and warmth it is a zoan runner hydrogen, it is a modular helmet and inner sun shield and an air box the second one is a motocross helmet and it is mostly for like when you do heavy breathing such as snow cross, or showing off for girls or whatever, the helmet has fit your style and needs

and the last thing that is important get good snow boots

1,792 Posts
Empire087 said:
I know this probably is a pretty vague answer. But, go to a dealer you trust or someone here suggests and go check out some gear/ask questions because they can hook you up.
And don't buy any clothes, boots, helmet or gloves without trying it on for fit!
Your shirt size may not match the gear size or helmet size.

brian126 said:
[highlight=yellow]It may be wise to pick out more of a general color instead of clothes that are color matched to your sled just in case you decide to trade in a couple of years.[/highlight=yellow]
For helmets the field is wide open there. Some guys prefer the snowcross style helmet with goggles, others prefer the full face helmets, and some like the modular helmets. Try some on and see what you like best. HJC offers a nice selection of helmets that are reasonably priced.
[highlight=yellow]Good advice there.[/highlight=yellow]
IMO, no sense in buying new clothes if you get a different sled because you color coordinated.[:)]

Also, decide if you want a coat or jacket. The coat is longer. Both should keep you warm though.

Get a coat or jacket you can open vents if you're too warm and also remove the liner.

Oh, a full riding gear will cost you. I spent close to $1,000 on complete riding gear last year, before I got a coupon from my dealer for future savings due to all the money I spent (which dropped the cost of clothes down about $100 or so).

(Anyone read this year in Snow Goer how they said parts/gear sales last year was steady (in comparison to falling new sled sales). THAT was (because of) ME. [thumb]

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd defiantly say get mostly black gear, matches basically any sled out there and is easiest to see during the day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I alaways get universal colored gear for the 4-wheeler and the bike, I'll do the same with the sled. Thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like pure polaris gear, but thats what i ride, also buy a helmet with a electric visor. Its well worth the money!!!! Buy nice gloves that arent very tight for all day comfort.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I like my arctiva coat and bibs they are holding up pretty good. I run HMK boots and for helmets I like my fly racing helmets and scott goggles. Welcome to the fourm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jrp0629 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are still young, (under 30).. i would go with an open faced motocross style helmet with goggles.. you will look retardeed with an old man helmet.
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and to snowmobiling so I have a few questions about what type or brand helmet, jacket/bibs, ect. you would recommend. All my riding will be done in Michigan and on the groomed trails, with the occasional off trail powder riding. Any info should help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i ride an arctic cat and wore a txi helmet last year so i bought a new one this year just in differnt color and loved them nice and light but can be costly

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
SkidooXteam7c said:
jrp0629 said:
If you are still young, (under 30).. i would go with an open faced motocross style helmet with goggles.. you will look retardeed with an old man helmet.
Let me fix that for you. And there is nothing wrong with the Moto-X style helments, some prefer them because "They look so totally sick duuuude!" The advantages to goggle helmets is they will almost never fog up, and to me it seems like its easier to breathe.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
^^^^
For me it depends on what the weather is like. If it's halfway nice out I like the moto-x helmet and goggles. If it's really cold out then I like the full face helmet better. It's more of a matter of personal preference on what type of helmet is better over the other.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
I run Klim bibs and shell, HMK boots, a moto-X helmet and goggles, currently CastleX Elevation gloves nd some Pure Polaris snow cross gloves (those get changed a couple times a day from getting people with me unstuck)
I'm thinking about a new Motorfist shell just because
Oh ya, and I am a deep powder mountain rider who hates to have to ride trail

Quinlan is right though, Go with what you can afford and work up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts