Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I really hope you can help me on this one. I'm rather new to snowmobiling and not all that familiar with them, so excuse the ignorance [:)]

Anyways, last year I bought a 1997 Polaris Indy 440 (liquid cooled)

This year, on thanksgiving when we got some snow, i took it around the house for about 20 minutes, and seemed to run without and trouble. However, we got some more snow, and then me and a buddy went trail riding. It seemed OK on the way there, but upon returning we had to go through some water ( no trouble for his 96 indy lite, but when i went through it due to the low profile of the sled, it got me all wet)

After going through that water, the sled seemed to bog down a lot. What happens is, i go to accelerate and it just goes "blah" and wont rev up. Sometimes if you throttle it just right and you get it going it will pick up and it goes until you let off again. It got worse and worse as we kept riding, and eventually if you tried to let it idle, it was about to quit on its own, and the lights in the dash were low and flickering like it was losing power. So we let them sit for an hour or 2, came back, my sled started right up and ran fine again. So we put them away and went to go riding the next day in the thick powder, and it started doing it again (the snow was going over the hood and through the vents, so water is getting on something again)

sorry for the lengeth, but to try and cut it short, I'm pretty sure water is doing something to the sled, im not sure what but if anyone has input or feedback i would greatly appreciate it. thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
The clutch must be getting wet. Does the engine rev up but the sled seems like it isn't going anywhere? Oh and does your sled have vent screens?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think it could also possibly be too rich of jetting. The plugs might be wet-fouling. I used to foul plugs all the time when i was in deep powder and it entered the hood. After i jetted it correctly, i don't have any problems anymore. It just screams through any type of snow now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.