Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Ihave a '89 Yamaha Exciter 570. My problem is my sled jerks or jumps on take off and then stops after i get going a decent speed. It still makes a small thumping noise and vibration on the clutch side. Jack shaft bearing? Both clutches look to be in good shape as far as i can see. The primary clutch is off of a newer Exciter I think '92 or'93. Does this have anything to do with it. The same jerking was there before i put on the newer model primary clutch. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Grab onto the secondary and see if it moves back and forth / up and down, it shouldn't. It should slide in and out just a little bit on the jackshaft.

Also check the speedo side axle bearing......is your speedometer working?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the spedo works. The guy I bought it from said he put new bearings in the chaincase. I checked the lube level in the chaincase and it was gray. I don't think it's supposed to be that color is it? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Sounds to me like your track is too tight. Snug it up and see if that helps.

I believe the correct measurement is - Sag 1/4 in. with 10 lbs hanging on the center.

Simple thing to eliminate if anything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Correct tension is 0.98-1.18in/22lbs. I know my 89 & 91 have different width belts(both stock). Could that affect it? If you can't get rid of the bucking & vibrating my wife might be interested in it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by daman
[br]
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]Sounds to me like your track is too tight.
Or too loose and it's ratcheting..
Oops, I meant loose...as the rest of the post suggests.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i wanna say its your belt my sisters fiancee sled did the same thing as you are describing i looked at the track looked good then i thought lets check the belt and whoa big difference where it was worn there was almost 1/2" from what it should have been. soon yeah i would check the belt. nick

·
Registered
581 Posts
id say check ur belt, i was riding one time and all of a sudden my sled started vibrating, hit the brake it stopped, rode home and was in the field and all of a sudden it started vibrating like crazy, took the belt off and half the top desintegrated, and a bunch of the nobs were torn out, i just put a new belt on, the old one i just took off had a 1 inch chunk taken out of it, and last i heard that grey oil means theres water in it, so better change that and check your bearings in your chaincase, chain tension, and track tension also, track ratcheting wont get you anywhere fast either

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds to me like the track is ratcheting. As was said, snug it up a bit and see if that helps.
Hows your chain tension in the chaincase? It could slip if the chain isnt tensioned correctly.
Could also be the belt (but Id say that is unlikely, but worth looking into).

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
track is probably ratcheting, throw a new belt and plugs in it while your at it may be yoru ski allignment

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
how would ski alignment make ur sled jerk and stop?i highly doubt ski alignment is part of the problem

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]track is probably ratcheting, throw a new belt and plugs in it while your at it may be yoru ski allignment
Why not start with the simplest and cheapest thing to check...If you tighten the track and it goes away then you fixed the problem for free.

If that doesn't help go to the belt.

As far as the plugs and ski alignment...what?? That has nothing to do with the problem, you might as well throw in a rebuild on both the clutches and the engine...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]track is probably ratcheting, throw a new belt and plugs in it while your at it may be yoru ski allignment
Why not start with the simplest and cheapest thing to check...If you tighten the track and it goes away then you fixed the problem for free.

If that doesn't help go to the belt.

As far as the plugs and ski alignment...what?? That has nothing to do with the problem, you might as well throw in a rebuild on both the clutches and the engine...
You forgot a new grafix kit Blackcat. That always improves the sled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found it! Track was WAY loose and the chaincase tension was to tight. Someone had the tension screw 1/2'' to far in. I backed it out and screwed it in had tight and then tightened the nut. Also the belt was worn in one spot like an hour glass. Never seen one worn like that. Thanks again for all your knowledge guys.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by jlbair81
[br]the belt was worn in one spot like an hour glass. Never seen one worn like that. Thanks again for all your knowledge guys.
Could be that the drivers were froze to the track and someone tried to break it loose by just gassing it instead of raising the back of the sled off the ground and then slamming it to the ground.
Most likely the hourglassed spot was caused by the primary spinning and burning up the belt.

·
Registered
581 Posts
^^^ LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts