Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Skidoo synthetic (low Smoke) oil for my Rotax engine. Can I use it on my Polaris XLT 600? What's the difference with the Polaris oil??

LD

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
YES.

All that most snowmobile manufacturer's require is a 2-stroke oil with a TC-W3 rating on the label. Which actually means nothing, because this rating was developed for 2-stroke outbaord boat motors up to 25 hp many years ago. (so i've read) Since many snowmobiles have more than 100hp, you'd think they would require a better rating than TC-W3, and some may, but i have yet to hear about it. All i would recommend is that you run a high-quality 2-stroke oil in your snowmobiles. There are wide differences in the quality of oil available, but don't get skimpy on such an important item.
It doesn't matter whether the oil is Rotax, Arctic Cat, Polaris or Yamalube, you can use any of them in just about any 2-stroke snowmobile. I would only advise that you stick with one, so that you aren't mixing different oils too often. Personally, i use none of them. AMSOIL is what i use, but it's a matter of personal preference.
Yes, it is safe to use Rotax oil in your Polaris.....<2-stroke engines obviously.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'll second that. I like the synthetic oils since they should reduce carbon buildup. I started out with Poo synh and now I too use Amsoil. I Use Amsoil in my truck adn my boat too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies MegaMan and Offshore24. Any comments on synthetic blend oils??[:0]

G

·
0 Posts
I used OEM oil in my ski doo and polaris both. I use lots of oil in a year and switched to Injex this season on both sleds. It seems to work well and about 1/2 the money as OEM. I used 7 gallons of oil this season so the Injex saved me about $70. It also smokes less than the Ski doo oil. I was not using synthetic. I here it smokes alot less.
When I switched brands the dealer said I could mix the oils with no problem. I drained the Ski-Doo and just mixed it together on the Polaris. No problems with either way.

Say, while we are on oils. My Ski-Doo seems to use alot of oil and the dealer says this is normal. I even made him change out the oil pump on warranty cuz it used so much. Still uses to much. It uses about 1 quart to 6 gallons of gas. When I premixed in the old days, I always mixed 1 quart to 12 gallons.

Dennis

Dennis

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
d noel, what year is your ski-doo. just curious because my 03 800 goes through twice as much as my 01.....

G

·
0 Posts
dgerlach,
Mine is a 2002 summit. I screwed the adjustment all the way to the end. It helped but still uses lots of oil. The dealer would only set it to the factory setting. The plugs would come out wet black. Carbon balls were just hanging off the plugs. I also rejetted the carbs. The DPM system is supposed to adjust for elevation changes but it was always running rich. The dealer wouldn't change the jets either. Only to factory specs. I went from 520 mains to 490's. What a difference!!!
We ride a 8,000 - 10,000 feet. I don't know if the DPM wouldn't work well at that elevation but it sure runs good now with leaner jets and the oil adjustment screwed all the way to the end.
I know what you guys are thinking, oil is cheap, and man that was a big jump in jetting for a sled with an elevation compensation system. I did them both in small steps. I still use more oil than I think it should but I can live with a little extra oil usage.
I ride with a guy riding a 1998 Summit and a guy with a 2001 summit and they both use 1/2 as much oil as I do. I think they may have chnged to a different pump in 2002. I looked at a 2001 pump on a blown sled at the dealer and it was a little different than mine.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
your right, jetting did help the black plug issue, i'm down to 470's and it really woke it up[:)][:)]

G

·
0 Posts
Glad to here someone else is jetting the Ski-Doo DMP system. The dealer looked at me like I had lost my mind when he saw me buying smaller jets. I was getting 5 MPG and leaving a black soot trail in the snow before I jetted. Now I get around 10MPG and run with lots more power and cleaner exhaust.

Dennis

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
LOL @ black soot trail, dealer prolly just wants business, lol, thas crazy it burns that much oil and gas, glad to hear u got it tuned up a lil better now

G

·
0 Posts
10 MPG is about what everyone I ride with gets. Some less some more. We all ride 144" and 151" X 2". Ski-Doo and Polaris mostly. One guy has a Mountain Max. The day I got 5 MPG was in about 15" of fresh powder and before I jetted. Most everyone got 8-9 that day.

The black soot trail shows up in the really deep snow when the exhaust pipe is pushing up against the snow. They all leave a little trail but mine was the worst until I rejetted it.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
man a guy with us just rebuilt his 700 tripple doo and he uses the syn. low smoke n it smokes worse then my sled n i go tthe normal ols castol stuff, sometiems i swear they just put the syn name on it to jack the price

1 - 12 of 12 Posts