Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my buddies frend's dad has some extra room and lots of dirt. we asked him if we could build some jumps. we have the idea of making a track. i was wondering what some pointers are on the jump sizes. We have access to a skid ster and a bull dozer.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea we are thinking of making ike a 40 foot table and a few 20 foot gaps

·
Registered
873 Posts
My advice from when I used to build dirt bike tracks is this, start small then work your way up. When I was younger we built a track at a buddies place with a pretty big gap (for an XR100 and some 13 year olds) and I cased it the first time and never hit it again. Its alot easier to build confidence and get comfortable with your sled if you take steps. Good luck, enjoy, and stay safe!

Chad

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i was thinking that and if we want to biuld it bigger than we can just use snow

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
He is on a Fusion 600, It is not made for 60 foot jumps. He is also like 15/16, I think a 20 foot gap is plenty for starting.....

After a year of hitting 10-30 footers, he can learn how to judge speed to land jumps proper, how to better control a sled in the air, maybe do a trick or something, then buy a sled made for it, and last extend the jumps.

"Walk, Don't sprint to the finish".

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^right but someone just starting into this I wouldnt recomend going 50 or 60' gap.

Fuse600-what sled are you going to be using? Your fusion?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
When I fist started hitting jumps on a sled, I started with snowbanks, then a small jump in a field from a culvert with railroad ties piled against it (like 10 feet), and at the end of the season, I mad my way to jumping my road (like 30+ feet, and I feel confident doing it, and can control my sled if it goes a little less than perfect in the air, and can correct it a little (like if the take off is a little on an angle).

Baby Steps.... Unless you want to get hurt. Or break you sled.

·
Registered
654 Posts
who cares about distance put a sick lip on it get like and 15 20 ramp and like a 15 ft landing 25 ft apart whooooooooooooooooo

20 ft is smaller than you think if your sled is atleast 8 ft long than it is a little over twice your sled

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
? A sled is not 8 feet long. His fusion is like 6 feet long. And It is not made for jumping! 20 feet is a lot longer than it seems when your also 10 feet off the ground.... A lot can go wrong on a 20 foot jump.

I would say a 35-40 footer is plenty for him, at for a while. Anything over that many things can go wrong, and a Fusion landing a 40 footer, unless the landing is massive, and downhill, will take its toll on the sled.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have a ton of logs that we didn't cut for fire wood this year and was wondering if I stacked them would they make good jump making bases? Does anyone have a how to guide for making small jumps? Also my zl with zr front shocks and rear skid should be able to handle a little bit of jumping right? Im not gonna do long jumps just some that I might encounter terrain racing, might be a 2x footer for fun though. Sorry to thread steal, but why make two of the same threads?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
900modman said:
who cares about distance put a sick lip on it get like and 15 20 ramp and like a 15 ft landing 25 ft apart whooooooooooooooooo

20 ft is smaller than you think if your sled is atleast 8 ft long than it is a little over twice your sled
There's a lot of that that doesn't make sense. Personally, I wouldn't be jumping a fusion more then 20 feet unless you want to break your sled or hurt yourself. The less experienced you are the more chance there is of shit going wrong. 20 feet is a long way to fly through the air and land wrong...
I jumped my friends sleds a lot last winter and really liked it (didn't want to jump with my indy), now that I have a sled that will take a beating better and a I have a little more experience I will start jumping a little farther this year. Only crashed once and that was on my 79 arctic cat lynx lol.

·
Registered
654 Posts
if i was doing the jumping i would use a light sled i am not the one jumping i said 20ft gap is not too big you get 20ft distance off some rollers thas all i am saying now if your talking going 50 ft in air and going 20ft long that is diff

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes im jumping my fusion and ive jumped a few roads so i know how to handle jumps...this track is just something we are going to use when we are bored. we are also using this track for his quads

1 - 16 of 16 Posts