Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well me and seven cousins were riding on private property with permission not bothering anyone when a county sherrif showed up and asked us if all the machines were registered.. I told him I thought so but was not sure.. He procedes to walk onto the private property to write down all our tag #'s. The land owner tells him that he needs a warrant to search anything on his property but the officer tell him that is not true in the case of snowmobiles.

Officer friendly goes on to tell the owner that if he see's snowmobiles parked on his property in the middle of July he can check them and ticket him for having out of date registration!!!!

Well it comes down to 3 of the 7 snowmobiles are out of date. 2 are owned by my grandparents who are locals with a local address and 1 is my cousins who is from about 3 hours away. Well he decides to let the two that are registered locally off and gives a ticked to my cousin who's snowmobile was even in unoperable condition and not being ridden, the track had broken... 120 bucks and its marked as a TRAFFIC violation. So the way I see it he knows it will be harder for my cousin to fight it since he lives so far away.

So questions are, Will this ticket affect my cousins driving record since its marked as a traffic ticket? Does my cousin have any chance in court to fight this?

This cop was being very rude He told my 70 year old Grandma that he wasn't interested in hearing anything she had to say and blatenly told us that he was having a slow day and that why he stopped us. It still boiling my blood.

Here we are yucking it up at all of the stupidity of the situation.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That sucks. I dunno about in Washington, but here in Wisconsin even if you sled NEVER leave your property you still have to register it (they have a "private" registration which is a one-time fee).
I gave a DNR warden a hard time about it once and he told me they do so that so they know how many sleds are out there. He also stated that he highly doubted any warden would have the balls to walk onto someone's property and give them a ticket for not registering their sled though. Sounds like you got hassled by a real Barney Fife...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think that at best you can try to fight it. It's worth possibly not having a traffic violation right? Try and gather up some possible proof saying that he can't do what he did, or that it isn't fair to your cousin seeing as that his track was broken anyways.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
How much was the ticket and what does it say on the back of the ticket as far as points off drivers license?

If it isn't that spendy and it doesn't take more then 3 points off his license I wouldn't worry about it. It will cost more to fight in court.

Insurance companies don't count anything under 3 points against you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was 120 bucks and I don't know if it says anything on the back I will find out when I talk to my cousin next. I know its not gonna be cost effective to fight it but just the idea of it makes me mad any I would wanna fight it if were him

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by DTRSsouth
[br]Well me and seven cousins were riding on private property with permission not bothering anyone when a county sherrif showed up and asked us if all the machines were registered.. I told him I thought so but was not sure.. He procedes to walk onto the private property to write down all our tag #'s. The land owner tells him that he needs a warrant to search anything on his property but the officer tell him that is not true in the case of snowmobiles.

Officer friendly goes on to tell the owner that if he see's snowmobiles parked on his property in the middle of July he can check them and ticket him for having out of date registration!!!!

Well it comes down to 3 of the 7 snowmobiles are out of date. 2 are owned by my grandparents who are locals with a local address and 1 is my cousins who is from about 3 hours away. Well he decides to let the two that are registered locally off and gives a ticked to my cousin who's snowmobile was even in unoperable condition and not being ridden, the track had broken... 120 bucks and its marked as a TRAFFIC violation. So the way I see it he knows it will be harder for my cousin to fight it since he lives so far away.

So questions are, Will this ticket affect my cousins driving record since its marked as a traffic ticket? Does my cousin have any chance in court to fight this?

This cop was being very rude He told my 70 year old Grandma that he wasn't interested in hearing anything she had to say and blatenly told us that he was having a slow day and that why he stopped us. It still boiling my blood.

Here we are yucking it up at all of the stupidity of the situation.

He can do everything he told you. If he is enforcing DNR laws can can procede onto your property.

Yes they "need","must"(in WI) to be registered but how many sleds in this country are not? alot. He was having a slow day and wanted someone to harass. Fighting it could be done but it may not be worth it.

The ticket should not go against his driving record.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't wanna sound dumb but what is a DNR law, basically in my eyes he saw a bunch of young guys with older crappy sleds and though Oh sweet I can get a buncha tickets out them..

Whats even funnier is that there was a family right behind us in that picture snowmobiling on their property and we asked the cop if he was gonna check their tabs, he said he would when he was done but of course he drove off..

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]

He can do everything he told you. If he is enforcing DNR laws can can procede onto your property.

Yes they "need","must"(in WI) to be registered but how many sleds in this country are not? alot. He was having a slow day and wanted someone to harass. Fighting it could be done but it may not be worth it.

The ticket should not go against his driving record.
That reminds me. They all have a loop hole called propable cause. Usually gets them out of anything.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
In WI they are called Department of Natural Resources or fish cops.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Fight it!! It's just one more dick-head Barney Fife with one bullet out to impose his will on someone!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I believe that he said it was a County Sheriff

I would fight it. At the least he might get away with a lesser fine. I am not versed in the laws in Washington, but I would also do some digging into the statutes for his procedure and see if you can find out where he screwed up if he did. If not, then pay the ticket.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Take a picture of the broken sled and when the moving violation issue comes up ask how can that be when there is no track under it to move in the first place.

·
Registered
329 Posts
See thats not the way it is in PA, if your on private land you don't need registration. It says so in the DCNR snowmobiling laws booklet. Just think about the stupidity of this case, do you need to register a lawn mover on your own land NO, If its not on state land, why should you pay. Now your state may have different laws, but if thats the case, that just plain out sucks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
if everything in the story is true, you will win this battle in court. Take it to them!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
DNR = Department of No Results, Do Nothing Retards, the list goes on and on. Around here, (WI) they have more authority than regular police. If the cop is doing the dirty work of the DNR, I think they give him a pat on the back and a chocolate chip cookie.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
K, now a lot of guys are saying sleds need to be registered in Wisconsin, yes and no. The DNR does not require you to register your sled if you intend to use it solely on private land, then it's like a 4-wheeler, however if you intend to use it on trails/public property (Lakes included) it must be registered. But, the DNR also keeps track of who the snowmobile is owned by, and if you want to legally be the owner of the sled you need to report it to the DNR, but you don't have to necessarily register your sled. This is where you get charged for the sales tax on the sled.(Which Sucks BALLS!)

In this case he has violated procedure, unless Washington law is different. Also DNR officers cannot venture on private land unless they have permission from the land owner. Cops, can use probable cause, but they still have to announce their presence. But if they have no probable cause, which in this case he did not, he cannot come on private land without consent from the land owner. So if I were you I'd be researching some laws and finding out if it is truly legal for him to do what he did.

Also, for small tickets like this it will not cost you anything to fight them but the gas you use to go to the court house. Defend yourself and explain the situation and if the laws are right you should come out without a ticket.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
INDY is right is doesn't cost anything to defend yourself, and in alot of cases like this the District attorney will drop the case instead of wasting time and money on a silly registration ticket...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Regarding the ticket on the broken sled....In Minnesota, I know it don't matter. I once had a old 74' sitting out at my father in laws farm, the old DNR came onto his property to see it and ticketed me for having this sled with no registration. I did try to fight it and was told by a judge, that as long as the item is visible by public eye, it must be registered.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts