Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I run the 96 stud pattern on my 700? 140HP. The search function and google couldnt help me out with this one.
Ive never installed studs and most of my sleds haven't had them. My track still has good life so I figured Id throw in a few studs to make up for what Ive lost in the track.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
^^^ Shredy is right on! Woodys has great tech support and can answer all your traction questions. I'm going to guess they are going to call for more studs than that though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
^^???

never heard of that.
96, 144, 192
you need a pattern, and never run the very centre. outside the windows is another debate.
I run 144, every second on the outside.

23565.jpg

the web link will tell you what you need, as well as what size carbide. don't forget carbide!!!!
for that cat, i am guessing at least 144 down the middle, i personally would run 192 with some on the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You want the most stratch patterns. I have used the V before and used a 3-3-3 pattern as well. Sometimes the V grabs better and sometimes it doesnt. Your outside studs is for your turning, the middle or center is your traction.

200991863723479_19621.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
shreddy said:
^^???

never heard of that.
96, 144, 192
you need a pattern, and never run the very centre. outside the windows is another debate.

23565.jpg

the web link will tell you what you need, as well as what size carbide. don't forget carbide!!!!
for that cat, i am guessing at least 144 down the middle, i personally would run 192 with some on the outside.
Its a Sabercat, you cant stud the outside rib on the 13.5 wide track. I forget the numbers but the usual 96, 144, & 192 patterns wont work for it.

Here is what they recommend

2010102181432263_4236.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
MORE STUDS! I think you will end up with tear-out problems if you only put 96 in a machine that has that kind of HP. The narrow track does pose a challenge as far as pattern, but there must be one of the stud manufacturers that has a recommendation for that machine. I did not check on the link to the Woody's site, but you SHOULD be able to find guidelines out there someplace. . . .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
shreddy said:
^^???

never heard of that.
96, 144, 192

23565.jpg

He has a 128" track. the 102 pattern is basically the same as 96 in a 121" track. The 128 has 3 more rows of lugs to fill. 153 would be a good # of studs for 140hp. thats the next step up from 102. 153 studs would be 3-3-3 pattern I think.

DO NOT stud the outer belts no matter what track you have. Youre just asking for tearouts and a damaged track, and they dont really bite that well anyway.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright. Thanks guys. I have 96 and just dont want to buy more. I was just afarid of having to much pressure on the studs and them tearing.

I know having well over 100 is reccomended but I just want them for what Ive lost in my track. I have no problem with running without studs.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
2/pitch is fine unless you run pure ice. Manufacturer recommendations are one thing, real world riding is another. I had an 800 before that I ran 96 in and it was fine, I liked it better than the 144 I did with my 700 before that.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
shreddy said:
^^???

never heard of that.
96, 144, 192

23565.jpg

Like mentioned above...the sabercats/firecats have 51 rows..3 more than a 121" track. Which means you can put 51 studs using one stud on each row. 102 would be two on each row. 153 would be three on each row.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ Could I just skip three rows? Even them out through the track...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts