Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I really hope you can help me on this one. I'm rather new to snowmobiling and not all that familiar with them, so excuse the ignorance [:)]

Anyways, last year I bought a 1997 Polaris Indy 440 (liquid cooled)

This year, on thanksgiving when we got some snow, i took it around the house for about 20 minutes, and seemed to run without any trouble. However, we got some more snow, and then me and a buddy went trail riding. It seemed OK on the way there, but upon returning we had to go through some water ( no trouble for his 96 indy lite, but when i went through it due to the low profile of the sled, it got me all wet)

After going through that water, the sled seemed to bog down a lot. What happens is, i go to accelerate and it just goes "blah" and wont rev up. Sometimes if you throttle it just right and you get it going it will pick up and it goes until you let off again. It got worse and worse as we kept riding, and eventually if you tried to let it idle, it was about to quit on its own, and the lights in the dash were low and flickering like it was losing power. So we let them sit for an hour or 2, came back, my sled started right up and ran fine again. So we put them away and went to go riding the next day in the thick powder, and it started doing it again (the snow was going over the hood and through the vents, so water is getting on something again)

sorry for the length, but to try and cut it short, I'm pretty sure water is doing something to the sled, im not sure what but if anyone has input or feedback i would greatly appreciate it. thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
could be your CDI getting wet... I had the same problem, put the CDI in the oven when it happens next, at like 170 degrees F, and let it bake for 30min. If it works fine until you get it wet again, then get a new CDI.

-Dean

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
have you changed plugs? maybe for some reason the water gets into the engine and fowel a plug.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well first thing i would check is to make sure your intake foam isnt frozen with the water you drove through. Next make sure your fuel filter isnt clogged. Finally take a spray bottle and fill it with water and spray the spark plug wires and boots with water while the sled is running to check for "leaks" If you find one you will know, sparks will start arcing where the wire or boot is leaking. Just a few things to try, and there are more where those came from.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Triumph is a genius. Those are all great ideas. Just wanted to correct one thing, the correct term is "foul" a plug, not "fowel"

Just leadin ya in the right direction madcow [:)]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I'd also dump some dry gas in your fuel tank too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
do you have hood screens on that machine?? i noticed myslef last year after bashin some noce drifts my sled started to sputter. well come to find out snow was sitting on top my air box and the sled wasnt getting enough air(as triumph was pointing out) i have screens and they do help. but the snow was sifting in around my handle bars and getting on top the box, i did correct this problem by stuffin some foam around the handlbars. also if your belt got wet from your water rafting, this would cause it to not go like it should. but its prolly not the only thing

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]Just for the heck of it, I'd also dump some dry gas in your fuel tank too.
Are you serious Tfin? If your joking I'm gonna feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Definitely check the foam on top of the air box. It probably froze almost shut, sit for 2 hrs, warm engine thawed it out. Powder snow got sucked back in. When I'm busting drifts, I always havw clean the foam off. I hope Polaris fixed that on their new sleds.

Runner

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by SledHead
[br]
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]Just for the heck of it, I'd also dump some dry gas in your fuel tank too.
Are you serious Tfin? If your joking I'm gonna feel like an idiot.
No, I'm serious. I'd do this in addition to what everyone else has suggested. My thinking was since he specificly splashed through some water, some may of made its way into the carbs and down into their bowls. Slappin' a little dry gas into the tank so it makes its way into the bowls might help to take care of any water in there.

In the situation he described, the bogging started right after he went through the water.....so it certainly wouldn't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts