Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hate to have to break the news but a 15 year old boy died today on a snowmobile when he hit a unmarked cable across a trail that was open last year but apparently not this year.

The cable caught the boy right under the chin part of his helmet and ended up causing multiple fractures of the skull and neck which resulted in a lot of internal blood loss. He passed away at Mercy hosptial earlier this evening.

The boy was a good friend of mine and I am quite shocked that something of this magnitude took place so close to home.

Note to landowners who have snowmobile trails on their property.. If you want to close off a part of a trail you MUST MARK THE CABLE WITH THE PROPER REFLECTORS.

I know there will be more deaths this year but I hope we don't see anymore, snowmobiling is too much fun for **** like this to happen.

RIP Mikey

[red]Edited by Polaris-Man[/red]

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
I must ask you to refrain from using foul language, even though I know you are feeling quite bad about the incident that happened. But we have rules here and not swearing is one of them

It's too bad this happened. Just another casualty that adds to people thinking snowmobiling is evil.

My feelings go out to the family and friends of the deceased and hope that nothing like this ever happens to anyone.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
To bad this happened, I would bet there will be more casualties this year, there always is about 10 I'd guess. Like p-man said the more casualties the more people will think sleding is evil.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sledding should be like getting yure driving licence...young kids should have to take a safety class before being alowed to sled on groomed trails and i also belive they should be at least 16 yrs old...last year i saw a young boy who couldnt have been more than 13 or 14 riding a xc600...my god...do his parents have any common sense at all?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
in MN you have to take snowmobile lessons and you cant ride alone until your 16 i believe. you can take lessons when your 12-13 and you have to ride with an adult until your 16.

thats too bad about that young mans life. my prayers go out to his family.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ya, my heart goes out to the family and friends of that poor boy, it always get me mad when I see people block trails without putting up the proper markings

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by confusedguy
[br]in MN you have to take snowmobile lessons and you cant ride alone until your 16 i believe. you can take lessons when your 12-13 and you have to ride with an adult until your 16.

thats too bad about that young mans life. my prayers go out to his family.
14 years is when u can ride alone

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
This is the second death I've heard of this year. The first one happened on Christmas Day about an hour from where I live.

Sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts go to you and his friends and family.

·
Registered
59 Posts
soor to hear about the death. its just to bad that it wont be the last. So far i have heard of 3 deaths in maine. just 2 days ago there was a girl who hit a tree and got banged up pretty bagged and its right accross the road from me. im 15 and i have an rxl 650 and i dont believe a sled is to big for someone, you jsut have to know when to use the xtra hp and when not to. as for maine i think its 14 or 15 to ride by your self.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Out here we can drive alone when we get our licence at 12, I am 15, and I have a 1996 ZRT 600, I think they should leave it how it is, just because a couple of people drive nut doesn't mean they should punish the rest of us. Like RXL650 said you need to know when to use the HP.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by arcticcatmatt
[br]what happend with that one bigwilly? I didn't hear how that one happened.
It happened in a small town southeast of Winnipeg. Two people were riding without helmets and drove accross a road without stopping. Turns out that both people died and the driver of the car that hit them was injured but is ok now. I'm not sure but I think that they were saying that alcohol was involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts