Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and pretty new to the sport. I have ridden atvs for a long time, snowmobiles are somewhat new.

I am a college student doing some research on the snowmobile industry and was wondering what you guys have to say about what snowmobilers are like in general. Obviously everyone is different and maybe no one can be dumped into one category, but are there any kinds of hobbies or interests that define snowmobilers?

What about stereotypes? What are they and what is wrong about them?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Snowmobilers like to spend their resources in a wasteful manner.

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,101 Posts
This is the second topic like this by a "new member" in the last day or two.

Suspicious-much?

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/133005-hobbie

However if you're actually serious (which I doubt) I'll say there are a few categories of sledders.

1. Those who use it as a method of driving drunk since it's harder to stop a snowmobile.
2. Those who find it more important to have a stupid GoPro camera stuck to their head to try and look cool because they can't get laid otherwise and they show the videos to brain-dead junior high school girls who think they are LIKE RULLY AWESOME!1111
3. Those who do tricks and whatnot, then get hurt and try to use their injuries to attract vaginas. Again brain-dead girls.
4. Everyone else who just rides for the hell of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Polaris-Man said:
This is the second topic like this by a "new member" in the last day or two.

Suspicious-much?

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/133005-hobbie

However if you're actually serious (which I doubt) I'll say there are a few categories of sledders.

1. Those who use it as a method of driving drunk since it's harder to stop a snowmobile.
2. Those who find it more important to have a stupid GoPro camera stuck to their head to try and look cool because they can't get laid otherwise.
3. Those who do tricks and whatnot, then get hurt and try to use their injuries to attract vaginas.
4. Everyone else who just rides for the hell of it.
Thanks for the reply. I understand your suspicion. As stated, we are in fact college students and happen to be in the same group. After I posted the topic I realized that my group member had already asked a question here. I apologize for any redundancy. I am familiar with forums and I know you don't want us spamming the crap out of the boards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Most people think Snowmobilers are really good break-dancers. Its a stereotype that really hurts the industry.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
REAL snowmobilers like us are regular people who work hard and will respect trails and done have a problem to fork over money to do things the right way. Especially if it helps the trails and sport in a good way. We all wont hesitate to help a fellow rider as well.

Of course there all the people who tear up the country side, dont respect other riders and the people who work hard to keep the sport going. Those dueche bags are the ones who usually ride drunk and give all us snowmobilers a bad name.

Or kids who have rich parents and dont care if they wreck sleds or get tickets because mommy and daddy will pay for it all. Those kids also have new sleds and automatically think necause they have a new sled they are as good of riders as the pros. And will ALWAYS talk down on people who have older sleds and will assume because of the older sled they suck at riding. Then they get beat in races to the older sleds with the skilled riders. They will also say stuff lile "i let you win" or "sonethngs wrong with my sled" but really they are just embarrassed they lost to an older sled.

A few snowmobile stereotypes. Most snowmobilers are the ones who work hard and respect the sport.

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,101 Posts
Ok, since you're not spam I'll get rid of the sarcasm, haha.

Honestly there are a few different types of riders, you have the mountain riders who live for the steep hills and deep powder, some do some big jumps and stuff too. Then you have the sno-cross or sno-cross wannabe's who can go to a drifted in tree line and hammer their sleds back and forth all day, doing jumps and bouncing over moguls and such. Then you get speed demons who want nothing more than to go 120 MPH. Even if it's only for 1/4 mile. Then you get trail racers (who most people hate) who think a trail is a snocross track and it's sketchy.

Then you have run of the mill trail riders. Wait for nice groomed trails and just cruise around. And finally you have ditchbangers who ride along roads taking whatever the terrain throws at them.

That's in a nutshell, most sledders have a little bit of most categories, I myself love deep powder, but not so deep that I'm stuck all the time. Living where I do, it's rare that we get any powder though. So I do lots of trails and ditches.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I personally don't have much for hobbies outside of sledding. I like tinkering with computers, love airplanes, ATVing and travelling around. I am a farmer so tinkering on anything in the shop can be fun too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bratty, spoiled, kids... That get everything from there parents... I HATE THEM!!

Ditch bangers and flat landers are what the people in the Midwest get called.

You got the punk and "I don't give a F" people that do what ever they want.

You have the people that respect everything about snowmobiling and honor the sport and take it as a privilege! and many more that i can't think of...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Doesn't respecting the sport also mean your willing to try everything once. Personally if I had the funds I try any form of "closed course" racing. Including circle track racing, I mean just give it a shot lol

Yes there are wanna-bes but there is a difference between someone who has fun and tries different things and actually see them enjoy and respect the sport, than someone who puts Monster Stickers on their sled and thinks they are Tucker or Burandt.

Then again Those stickers do add some serious HP

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
^^lol!!

sit at a busy snowmobile gas station for any amount of time and you can pick them out real fast.

you can hear the gay brap can coming down the trail. its not a steady throttle but a constant up and down on the gas. as you see the sled aproach its a kid or young guy that although standing the whole time he rides isnt much bigger then if he sat down. as he pulls into the gas station they have to jump off the banks and brap the can as they pull up to the pump. when they take off there helmet they put on a big flat bill ass hat. doesnt belong to a trail club or help at any events. usually rides the trails like he owns them and other people on the trail piss them off because they are trying to win the race in there head. will go off trail next to the sign that says stay on trail. its not the quality of the ride but how many miles they get on in a day.

then you have the group of riders with mixed sleds pull into the gas station, if they take there helmet off they dont care if there hair is not perfect. they will hold the door for a person behind them. they usually belong to a club or help out at events or trail work. they will stop and help a sledder on the side of the trail. they will usually have a couple kids or wives in there group. dont care about miles in a day but just enjoy the day out.

the next group is the old school hard riders, come off the trail get gas then have to sit at a bar for 2 hours so they can ride for the next 2 hours only to find the next bar.

then the off trail crowed, they sneak into the gas stations and get out quickly with not much talking. dont want other people to follow them to the secret spots. someone in the group will or had a hot dog cooker on there pipe. eating a braut from a campfire on a nice sunny day in the woods is better food then any bar or resteraunt food!! having fun and just enjoying the day.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So far this thread is spot on! Although i Will add another layer to the topic:

There are riders who do it on the cheap. They usually only ride 10 plus year old sleds. Enjoy maintaining them as much as riding- mostly due to the long off season depending on location. They usually spend the off season trying to launder money from the family budget to add another sled to the collection- I personally use my 401k that I store behind my shed (aluminum cans I save from all that time maintaining my fleet of sleds)

Obviously no matter the rider type I think everyone will agree that sled riders love a good snow fall and colder temps!
Ugly Poo Kids picture explains a lot!

·
Registered
449 Posts
madcow said:
^^lol!!

sit at a busy snowmobile gas station for any amount of time and you can pick them out real fast.

you can hear the gay brap can coming down the trail. its not a steady throttle but a constant up and down on the gas. as you see the sled aproach its a kid or young guy that although standing the whole time he rides isnt much bigger then if he sat down. as he pulls into the gas station they have to jump off the banks and brap the can as they pull up to the pump. when they take off there helmet they put on a big flat bill ass hat. doesnt belong to a trail club or help at any events. usually rides the trails like he owns them and other people on the trail piss them off because they are trying to win the race in there head. will go off trail next to the sign that says stay on trail. its not the quality of the ride but how many miles they get on in a day.

then you have the group of riders with mixed sleds pull into the gas station, if they take there helmet off they dont care if there hair is not perfect. they will hold the door for a person behind them. they usually belong to a club or help out at events or trail work. they will stop and help a sledder on the side of the trail. they will usually have a couple kids or wives in there group. dont care about miles in a day but just enjoy the day out.

the next group is the old school hard riders, come off the trail get gas then have to sit at a bar for 2 hours so they can ride for the next 2 hours only to find the next bar.

then the off trail crowed, they sneak into the gas stations and get out quickly with not much talking. dont want other people to follow them to the secret spots. someone in the group will or had a hot dog cooker on there pipe. eating a braut from a campfire on a nice sunny day in the woods is better food then any bar or resteraunt food!! having fun and just enjoying the day.
Well said, but can I be in the respectful group with mixed sleds that still wants to stop and have a beer?

ltd440snowrider said:

There are riders who do it on the cheap. They usually only ride 10 plus year old sleds. Enjoy maintaining them as much as riding- mostly due to the long off season depending on location. They usually spend the off season trying to launder money from the family budget to add another sled to the collection- [highlight=red]I personally use my 401k that I store behind my shed (aluminum cans I save from all that time maintaining my fleet of sleds) [/highlight=red]

Obviously no matter the rider type I think everyone will agree that sled riders love a good snow fall and colder temps!
I love it, 401K. Sounds like my uncles yooper savings account.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Don't know the group I fit in but here's what I do. I do little to no "work" in the cold months. If there's rideable snow somewhere me and the girl friend chase it. I've done three trips this year that included 7+ hour drives and close to a thou in expense. Just because I won't accept the fact that there isn't snow in my backyard. We like stopping at bars to eat and have a beer while our gloves are drying off on the heat registers, then back on the trail. Whenever we see a trail off the main trail going into no mans land we explore it with hopes of finding untouched powder that will fly up over our hoods. Those spots also work good for releasing demons if the ol lady is in the mood lol!
And i do have a fart can on my sled but I swear, it's strictly for weight savings ;) and the bill on my hat is bent, not straight.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Not everyone has monster stickers, flat bill hats, and go pros strapped everywhere! I swear.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ltd440snowrider said:

There are riders who do it on the cheap. They usually only ride 10 plus year old sleds. Enjoy maintaining them as much as riding- mostly due to the long off season depending on location. They usually spend the off season trying to launder money from the family budget to add another sled to the collection- I personally use my 401k that I store behind my shed (aluminum cans I save from all that time maintaining my fleet of sleds)

Myself and my freinds would be best described as this type of snowmobiler. We just wana ride!

·
Registered
378 Posts
WE hate it when spring comes, love it when the new models come out so we can dream, hate most of the summer cause its too hot, love it when September comes to pull the sleds out of storage, hate it when the gas prices rise, and love to watch the weather channel starting in December. I personally love Nor-Easters!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
For some, spring just means getting the drag sleds ready for grass & asphalt racing.. [thumb]

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are riders who do it on the cheap. They usually only ride 10 and 30 plus year old sleds. Enjoy maintaining them as much as riding- mostly due to the long off season depending on location. They usually spend the off season trying to launder money from the family budget to add another sled to the collection-
We quit drinking,smoking, and swearing. Now I let the sleds do all that! Drinkin 2 stroke,Smoking it, and swearing to do it again.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This is a good thread. I missed you guys. The only thing you forgot is no matter how hard you ride take the time to shut your sleds off in some remote place and enjoy the silence and the beauty of the the outdoors. Unfortunately (or fortunately) my buds and I are getting older so we just pick a destination and and ride smoothly and go somewhere to eat and then hang out for awhile, then we pick somewhere else to go. We have a beer or two, but everybody know the rules, keep it safe and fun. Were not slow, but were not fast either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts