Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding in Aroostock County, Maine last season ans we came upon this great field barn in the middle of nowhere. Lined up the sleds and took a picture worth an advertising campain. IMHO

/polarisman/../images/users/offshore24/Barn.jpg

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd love to see the pic, I'm from Maine and ride in the county as well. But its not displaying.

Try posting the pic right in your post. just enclose the link to the pic in between
and it should display fine.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the capitalized JPG suffix that was the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Here's our family portrait that hangs as a 16x20 on our wall.

/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/4x5.jpg

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, mmm, good question. We did about 150 miles a day for 4 days. Went just about everywhere. Houlton to Madawaska, to Presque Isle, to Houlton. That's on the way to Houlton from up by Presque Isle I think. Here's a pic of Kathadin Iron Works near Mossehead Lake.

/polarisman/../images/users/offshore24/KIW.jpg

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to Fort Kent. We rode from Houlton to Ft Kent the second day out, the first was spent around Houlton. Here's an intersection that finally told us we were within spitting distance.

/polarisman/../images/users/offshore24/Going to Ft Kent.jpg

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Great pics! I've been right there at the Kathadin Iron Works before. Two years ago we stayed at the Presque Isle Inn and rode up to Van Burren, then along the border trail (if you haven't hit that one you've GOT to!) then up to Madawaska, down to Frenchville, and then came down through the Allagash, over to Portage and finally back to Presque Isle......whew! Nice little loop.

You just can't beat those county trails!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The US/Canada border north of Houlton, ME./polarisman/../images/users/offshore24/USA Canada border.jpg

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]Great pics! I've been right there at the Kathadin Iron Works before. Two years ago we stayed at the Presque Isle Inn and rode up to Van Burren, then along the border trail (if you haven't hit that one you've GOT to!) then up to Madawaska, down to Frenchville, and then came down through the Allagash, over to Portage and finally back to Presque Isle......whew! Nice little loop.
I didn't get to go to the Allagash. i would like to do that next season. Also, up in that area there are two steam locomotives that were restored and sit in a barn off the side of the Allagash waterway as a museum. i would like to go see them. They were brought to the site by oxen teams in the winter over the frozen river. Tracks were lain and the locomotives pulled wood for the paper industry before they were abandoned. A friend of mine worked on the restoration project. My understanding is that they are fully functional in their present restored condition.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I've heard about those, and would like to see them as well. There used to be (not sure if they're the same ones or not) a couple of locamotives abandond on one of the lake shores in the Allagash. I forget which lake though. I've seen pictures of them as they sit in the trees. They really looked to be in disrepair, so if these ended up being the restored ones, then your friend put A LOT of work into them. Might be a different set though.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's them! Same ones. They did so much work. Some guy who's an expert boilermaker got inside the boilers and was restoring all the copper tubing in them! it was and is an incredible story. here's a state website talking about them.

http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/programs/history/allagash/rr.htm

They are stored in a shed on Eagle Lake. I was so close to them last year and didn't know it. We were at Eagle lake putting around and didn't think to look for them. The guy I was with, the one with the Skidoo, even took pictures of the locomotives for the State historical society.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if i get the ambition i got some good pics, but uploading is to much work for me right now...lol, maybe lata 2nite i will put em up

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
now i get outa lazy mode and uploaded soem pics, first one isnt really snowmobile art, but the serene beauty of winter and got sled tracks in it so it is considered sled art [:D], second one was taken in novemeber actually, whenwe got like 2 inches of snow and i had to go rip up the grass a lil

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Great link Offshore24, thanks. Lot of history there! I'm definately going to have to get up there now and see them.

You got some nice pics there too ACG, I can almost smell the cold.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
My Sled Art

/polarisman/../images/users/DarkStar/Swany2.jpg

sorry forgot to shrink to 800x600

1 - 20 of 29 Posts