Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was alot of hype over the sled, Cat made it, and now I don't hear much talk about it (online).

I did see this http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/haydays.asp

Thats very impressive.

Anyone else have any info?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
considering the "light wieght" of the machine and the claimed hp. the speed is not impressive. the new 1000 twins are barely beating the old 800 triples.

the trial hp and torque with the new 1000 twin is fun for the aftermarket world. it can make some real good hp. close to 200 hp on pump gas with some mods. not to bad when it is in a frame made for trail riding and big bump ability.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only problem is that the new frame is much heavier than the old F chasis.

cat said it would be lighter but after people have riden it they say it feels much more heavier. They said it actually feels a lot more like a 4 stoke sled.

They also mentioned that the old Firecats and Sabercats handled better because the skis would stay planted and with the new chasis the ski come off the groung around the corners. Even though they designed them not to they do it worse!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ does the specs say its a lighter frame? If so, how does a frame "feel" heavier when its lighter?

I want to try one to form my own opinion of course.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
to put the 500 foot mph in perspective. ripperd did 86 on my sled with a broken motor mount. so to be at 90 with my sled would be doable.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How have they lost motor wise yet. Local dealer has seized 3 of them as of today. Not sure why. They quit, hard to restart, fire up run for a few minutes then die for good.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Arctic Cat said it would be a lighter snowmobile than the old F series. They said the frame would also be lighter.

Then i found a magazine i had that they did a side by side comparason from the old F6 to the New F6. The frame was a couple pounds heavier and the whole sled was like a few more than that. So arctic cat sorta lied about it being lighter.

Although this 'feeling" is probably created by the 15x128" track. The old 13.5 inch wide really made the old sleds feel lighter because they really were. Everyone knows narrower is lighter than longer most of the time.

the reviews i read about it was it felt harder to throw around on the trail. You had to use more body language to get it to do what you want it to do. Much more than the old firecats.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I tried to find more info on it, but all I came up with is HOLD ON! Does a couple pounds matter when you have 999cc's? The frame is good for trails, but seems like it is more of a racing sled. I also have a hard time beleiving that it is barely beating the old 800 triples - Guess I'd have to see it.

You may want to check out the big debate on HCS (f7 vs dragon). There is also some talk on the f1000. -If it helps?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
glenn hall has been tuning sleds for how long? many many years. my friend in 500 feet with an srx yami stock was only 3 mph less. do you know how much a srx wieghs? a lot more than that 1000 sled.

dont get me wrong. on the trail I bet they are a good sled. in the racing world you are better off old school unless you are looking for a sponsership.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If it is barely beating old 800 triples then why did it own EVERYTHING at haydays. Around here at the grass drags it owned everything by at least half a second!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
becuase one a grass drag is only 500 feet. how many times have you and your buddies stopped at 500 feet? at that point most trail sleds are just getting going. two the only thing at grass drags that the pros are running is basically very current models. since they are getting factory sponsers. the factory isnt going to hype up the new f1000 and then sponser a guy running a t cat. when it comes time to make the open sleds and big improvers. the guys run triples. why, becase they make so much more hp. or you can look at the new speed run rules. they allow the twins to run lighter to let them compete. why, because they no that the f-1000 and mach z will not compete with the t cat.

as far as trail guys go. in a 1/4 mile drag the difference between the old school sleds, the new 700's and the new 1000's. there wont be much of any difference.

·
Registered
335 Posts
ya, cow, what you got going. You seem to be new sled bi est. The 800 triples are fast but not as fast as the new 1000's. The old 1000 triples are fast. The only problem with that is, the old 1000's are modded like crazy. When they are running F1000's, they are almost bone stock! So a old T cat vs a new 1000, the t cat would get its but kicked!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah the old this will beat that debate. Basically the F1000 will beat a thundercat to a 100. I have money on it thats about it. My brother raced a hopped up F7 with his T-cat last winter. Young kid really thought he had a fast sled but actually got beat really bad. There wasnt even a point to keep going after 100. It would be a good race thou, especially if the T-cat was clutched to help with the weight and come off the line. Weight IMO is misjudged. What if I a 160lbs on my bro's T-cat and I am racing another buddy who is 260 on a f1000? The playing field is now even with an advantage to the f1 to 80 and the t-cat to 120 or 130

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
well for one its a 1000 making just around 160 hp. I am a little new sled biased when I get dissapointed. I love performance and hp. it doesnt matter cat or poo. but when it is 2007 model year and they are bragging about speed and power on the new stuff. and to have it still less hp and less performance than a sled they replaced over 6 years ago. that is very dissapointing. on a racing perspective the new twins are not doing it. I watch it every weekend. ever hear of a guy named ron bray? big ski doo guy, set lots of records. his mach z 1000 twin cant even compete with an old t cat, heck it is barely running any faster than a 98 zrt 800 or other 800 triples. that is pro against pro.

as far as trail riders go. these are the strongest off the showroom floor sled you can buy. and with the new bodys and suspensions they are probably a hoot to drive. but they arent setting new standards for performance. a well setup dragon or f-7 will give them a run for there money. you cant spin motors at 7500-7800 rpm and expect ultra high performance. I am not trying to rip on the f-1000 just for fun. but when they try to brag it up by the speeds it ran at pro races. I not going to let the mags get away with lies. they have been lieing to us since 2001 when they said the 800 twin will replace the triple. well it replaced it in the fact that they dont make the triple any more. but it never held a candle in replacing it in the performance world.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Hey sabercat500 and bleeding green I'm curious as to just how many race sleds you've each built?? Or how many sanctioned races you've run the sleds that YOU built?? For your information madcow happens to be one of the most knowledgable members on this forum when it comes to HP and speed, he gets this knowledge and experience HANDS ON, not from reading some article in a magazine who recieves ad money from a company (any company) trying to sell snowmobiles, or from one of those "my buddy raced a so and so" stories!! I invite either one of you to line your sled up against the one in his avitar, the one he just got done BUILDING for a first hand look at what REAL speed and HP look like....If you'd like a little more proof that he "might" know what he's talking about, look up the rules in the NSRA handbook it states...

Effective June 1, 04 Reveiw wieghts (Improved Stock, Pro Stock, Modified) 600-700 cc improved stock TWIN cly. engines may dedduct 75 lbs from the published Imp. Stock published weight. 800-1000 cc Improved stock TWIN cylinder engines may deduct 90 lbs. from the published Imp. stock class weight.

CLASS MAX cc Carbs Weight
Improved stock 1000 1000 any 775 lbs

Now what does that mean?? It means that ANY 1000cc sled that runs in the improved stock 1000cc class has a published weight of 775 lb. (driver+sled+fuel) thats what that sled has to weigh when it crosses the scale. But if you run a TWIN you can deduct 90 lbs from that weight, WHY you may ask, the answer is simple, to give the twin the little extra advantage it needs..It'd look pretty silly if a new Mach Z or F1000 pulled up to the line and got spanked by a 6 or 7 seven year old T-Cat now wouldn't it?? That's also why you see 660 feet race tracks instead of 1000 or 1320 feet, because even with the weight DIS-ADVANTAGE the T-Cat is gonna take em both..It's all smoke and mirrors, you want another example?? Take that same 660 foot track and cut it down to 330 feet and there ain't a whole lot of sleds twins or triples that would compete with the 440's or well tuned 500...

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you seriosly want me to race him your crazy. Some of us arent as fortunate to have "permission" to mod our sled out. If i could id have a F7 modded like crazy that would beat absolutly everything, but im not allowed to. So ill make due with what i got and have fun!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Your answer is pretty funny sabercat, but it also shows your age and inexperience...You need to stay in daddys garage with the "modded" F7, because if you pull it out of daddys garage and start messin with the likes of madcow and the other BIG DOGS your gonna get your little hiney spanked pretty hard [:D]

1 - 20 of 93 Posts