Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the first time I did it, I thought it was a fluke..

The second time I did it, well, my buddy with his clutched and piped 900, is in denial.

700, pure stock, beats a dynoport clutched and piped 900.

I told him 2 months ago about gearing, he ignored me.

I told him tonight I was gonna smoke him because of gearing. He was belligerent.

I smoked him once, he tried to play it off.

Smoking him the 2nd time, he bragged how he had $12 grand into his sled, and, and, and, well, then he stfu..

This is the second sled I've had, that I've smoked him with, on his fusion 900..

DOOHHH!!!!

Sorry, just gotta gloat a little.. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
And like you should have expected anything less???, there is no better feeling than putting the smack down on something that has been made out to be unbeatable because of the $$$ spent on it, I've done it many times with my old 98, granted my sled is not stock but I have put out more than my share of 8 and 900 twins that had them wondering how the hell did that happen.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Personally I prefer the 755 over the 855 as he 75 is close to, if not, 140HP and the 855 isn't much more. But regardless, if he had his sled tuned in the same manner you had yours tuned he would have beat you. It doesn't matter who's got more money into what, it matters who's better tuned.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
More proof that numbers on paper are worthless without everything else to go along with it. Kind of like how the new 146hp Pro RMK is beating 160hp M8s.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scorch said:
I told him 2 months ago about gearing, he ignored me.
Hopefully he learns from that [Disappointed]
Would the 700 be your 03 sks? Those 700's had HUGE balls stock.
With the upgrades he's done, he's pushing ~163hp out of that 900.. My little old SKS 700 is pushing maybe 120. (127 stock but 10k miles on the bottom end) [beatup]

One of his excuses was traction because I had the 144 and he has a 121, but I went back to where we launched from, and he had no more trackspin than me.

Don't ask me what my gear ratio is, I ain't tellin.. Just think steep.. (and I didn't have them in the avatar pic). [thumb]

powersledder said:
Personally I prefer the 755 over the 855 as he 75 is close to, if not, 140HP and the 855 isn't much more. But regardless, if he had his sled tuned in the same manner you had yours tuned he would have beat you. It doesn't matter who's got more money into what, it matters who's better tuned.
Bingo...

Yes, if he was geared anything close to me, he would have smoked me, and if we were out on a lake where we had room to run for a while, he'd have walked me after I topped out.

But drags are drags, even in the back yard, and he ate my rooster. [thumb]

For reference it's about a 300' drag. The first 30 feet or so it was pretty close, then I just walked away.. The second race, when I hit about 50' lead, I waved bye-bye. And he still hasn't admit that he got beat, just excuse after excuse.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
144 vs 121? Most likely you beat him on traction, not on power or gearing, especially in 300'.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ripperd said:
144 vs 121? Most likely you beat him on traction, not on power or gearing, especially in 300'.
You missed this part above..

One of his excuses was traction because I had the 144 and he has a 121, but I went back to where we launched from, and he had no more trackspin than me.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You missed this part above..
I didn't miss it. You can't really judge traction by looking at the track a sled leaves. You could have a half inch lug that only dug down 1" in the snow and go nowhere, whereas a 2" lug could have dug down 4-5 inches and accelerated really well. You just don't know.

Think of it this way. You have an 500hp awd car vs a 500hp 2wd car. Both cars left two long black marks. You can bet pretty well which one won the race while spinning the tires!

That's the funny thing about racing sleds. Conditions and setup are the most important thing. HP is very secondary for short drag races. Hell in 150' a 440 is usually pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
people dont like getting beat, especially the guy that spends money instead of tunning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
wow after reading all of this i REALLY want to change up the gearing on my 1998 XC 700 so my buddy with his 800 will shut up. plus id like a little more OOMPH outta my bottom end acceleration. I dont care about top end as much. can anyone help??[confused]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ripperd said:
I didn't miss it. You can't really judge traction by looking at the track a sled leaves. You could have a half inch lug that only dug down 1" in the snow and go nowhere, whereas a 2" lug could have dug down 4-5 inches and accelerated really well. You just don't know.

Think of it this way. You have an 500hp awd car vs a 500hp 2wd car. Both cars left two long black marks. You can bet pretty well which one won the race while spinning the tires!
Yeah, I hear what you're saying.. But we had about 8" new sticky snow on top of ground that isn't frozen, I judged the trackspin by the amount of dirt and grass behind the launch point, and that was identical.

Not to mention that I had ridden his sled before we raced, and I didn't have an issue with trackspin, and I weight 100 lbs less than him..

Which reminds me... I have to say that the fusions turn like a bus.. I tried the same zig-zag move with his fusion as I did with my edge, and I ended up going through a shrub and getting yanked off the sled, because I couldn't make the second cut with his fusion while I did easily with the edge.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
ripperd said:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying.. But we had about 8" new sticky snow on top of ground that isn't frozen, I judged the trackspin by the amount of dirt and grass behind the launch point, and that was identical.

Not to mention that I had ridden his sled before we raced, and I didn't have an issue with trackspin, and I weight 100 lbs less than him..

Which reminds me... I have to say that the fusions turn like a bus.. I tried the same zig-zag move with his fusion as I did with my edge, and I ended up going through a shrub and getting yanked off the sled, because I couldn't make the second cut with his fusion while I did easily with the edge.
100 pds is alot, I have a friend that dragged is sled on asphalt(low tens high 9 sled ) and a tenth was equal to 25 pds on a sled whereas a tenth is usually equal to 100 pds in a car.. so he was giving u 4 tenths in the quarter ,but being only 300ft doubt it means near as much then!...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Haha a bus? More like a freight train! [beatup] He needs new spindles and/or skis and some weight transfer adjustments.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scorch said:
Haha a bus? More like a freight train! [beatup] He needs new spindles and/or skis and some weight transfer adjustments.
Its' an '06 with the upgraded spindles, and he's already got upgraded skis on it... It turns with him on it I guess.

I'll never ride it again, bleah... [puke]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts