Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching high and low for reviews online of the Yamaha Apex's, have found a few, but they are about split 50/50. Half of the people say they absolutely love the machine, couldnt ask for anything more. And the other half say they cant possibly figure out why it was sled of the year and traded it back in because it was such a pile of crap.

It seems odd to have such differing opinions on something like that. I know the handwarmers are an issue, have they resolved that yet?

It seems like a lot of the reviews are '06 so have they fixed some things for '07?

Im looking at two Apex ERs by the way.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I personally do not own one,but I have ridden one for a whole day.the sled absolutly kicks a**.the power of the motor is second to none.....I think the only down fall would be the rear suspension is not as good as it should be.It bootoms out on the big bumps.and I believe the price tag is a little steep for something you can use maybe three months a year. just my personal opinion and hoping I can stay out of arguments with others!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If you like to ride trails and shoot across the lake go for it. If your into riding the ditches all day don't go for it. I have an Er and love it. All machines have their issues and the handwarmers were definetly an issue. Seems like that the way everyone is going is with 06 bars wired like the 07s. The only other minor issue is the fuel pump relay freezing tap it and be on your way..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You have to get the proper machine. The Apex RTX is the Rough Trail Extreme. It went through major suspension upgrades in 07. Ad the anti bottoming kit and you have a 150hp ditch banger. PS the anti bottoming kit takes 1 minute to install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chad Gueco and team just won the Soo I-500 with an Apex RTX. It's the second year in a row for that machine. Corey Davidson was catching up when the race was called, and had to settle for third on an Apex. Plus Yamaha's finished 1,3,&5 this year.

http://supertraxmag.com/article.asp?nid=531

Either that(Apex RTX) or the Nytro FX will be my next machine. I'll never forget my 84 Phazer. It is by far the best, funnest, and most reliable sled I've owned. Plus it was soooo easy to work on. Can't say that about either my one Cat, or the three Polaris' I currently own.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
the new Apex is anything but easy to work on. You pull the top panel off and you dont even begin to see part of the engine. It sits so far back...but really its a 4 stroke fuel injected machine. How often do you have to change plugs?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by makeitpay
[br]Chad Gueco and team just won the Soo I-500 with an Apex RTX. It's the second year in a row for that machine. Corey Davidson was catching up when the race was called, and had to settle for third on an Apex. Plus Yamaha's finished 1,3,&5 this year.

Either that(Apex RTX) or the Nytro FX will be my next machine. I'll never forget my 84 Phazer. It is by far the best, funnest, and most reliable sled I've owned. Plus it was soooo easy to work on. Can't say that about either my one Cat, or the three Polaris' I currently own.
You forget the the 1000cc Apex is racing in the 600cc 2-stroke class....That is a JOKE!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]
Originally posted by makeitpay
[br]Chad Gueco and team just won the Soo I-500 with an Apex RTX. It's the second year in a row for that machine. Corey Davidson was catching up when the race was called, and had to settle for third on an Apex. Plus Yamaha's finished 1,3,&5 this year.

You forget the the 1000cc Apex is racing in the 600cc 2-stroke class....That is a JOKE!!
acexlt...like I found out yesterday you dont say anything negative about the yamaha.....they are the best sleds ever.....I cant say that without laughing!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
YOU forget that the Apex weighs about 80 pounds more than all those 600s. When you compare the power-to-weight ratio, things are pretty even.
They could run F1000s and Mach Z 1000s and the results would be no different.
The Apex is a great sled. If money were no object, Id be riding an Attak right now. Great power, good fuel economy (15-16 mpg on average), and of course, Yamaha's legendary quality, reliability and fit 'n finish. I cant think of any snowmobile I have ever ridden (and Ive ridden a lot) that I could run as hard as it would go and feel totally comfortable and feel in total control on.
Yeah, the Apex is a heavier sled than some others on the market, but you dont feel it when you are riding the sled because of how well-balanced it is.
The Apex is one of the best snowmobiles on the market, period.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
YOU forget that the Apex weighs about 80 pounds more than all those 600s. When you compare the power-to-weight ratio, things are pretty even.
They could run F1000s and Mach Z 1000s and the results would be no different.
The Apex is a great sled. If money were no object, Id be riding an Attak right now. Great power, good fuel economy (15-16 mpg on average), and of course, Yamaha's legendary quality, reliability and fit 'n finish. I cant think of any snowmobile I have ever ridden (and Ive ridden a lot) that I could run as hard as it would go and feel totally comfortable and feel in total control on.
Yeah, the Apex is a heavier sled than some others on the market, but you dont feel it when you are riding the sled because of how well-balanced it is.
The Apex is one of the best snowmobiles on the market, period.
Octane basicly nailed it, i will challange any 600 with our attak. Who ever says its comparable to a 600 is completly ignorant and needs to ride one espcially when there on a older sled.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Octane that is really getting to be the worst argument goin for the strokers these days!! Sleds are classed according to cc's NOT weight!! If the playing weren't so tilted there'd be NO 2 vs 4-stroke debate! You wouldn't have all these yahoos that don't know the first thing about engines or sleds standing there by the fence at Haydays thinkin the Apex is such a GREAT sled because its beating 120 Hp sleds by one sled length in 660 ft!! I can only pray for the day when it dawns on one these big "Sponsored" racers the money they are being screwed out of just to cram a certain technology down everybodys throat and takes one of these sanctioning bodies to court, with all their forulas they come up with to give a 4-stroke the unfair advantage!! Maybe then I'll get to run my piped 700 Ultra in the 600 improved stock class or my 800 XCR in the 700 stock class because they're "heavier"!! You want to see what real carnage looks like?? Unleash an 800 XCR in the 700 stock class running against 700 twins because they're heavier"!! And your comment about the Apex competeing or out performing the Mach or the F1000 is a joke!! WHY do you think you don't see the Apex run in the 1000cc class at haydays?? And this whole "you don't feel the weight" argument is funny!! It doesn't matter where you try and hide the weight on a sled, the weight is STILL there!! When it comes to maintaining them i came across this today..

http://snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63721

I can change a helluva lot of plugs in the time it would take you to do this!! ^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
188 Posts
yada yada yada. 600 this 600 that. drive what you have. dont offer opinions on things you dont know about, better yet find a hole and stick your head in the sand.i dont hear people offering comments on 600 class sled as general that dont own one. the apex excells in trails, addictive motor, low to zero maintenance, excellant mileage,
exceptional fit and finish, do knock it as not being a ditch banger, neither is a f1000 , machz, . if you want a ditch banger go buy one and keep useless unimformed opinions to ones self. i dont know of anyone that owns one that says they are crap. i have owned countless sleds over the years, for my style of riding. this is it. im not brand loyal and when something comes out that suites me better i will buy that. i have own 500, 600, 700 800, 1000 cc sleds three cylinder and twins as well and now fourstrokes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]Octane that is really getting to be the worst argument goin for the strokers these days!! Sleds are classed according to cc's NOT weight!! If the playing weren't so tilted there'd be NO 2 vs 4-stroke debate! You wouldn't have all these yahoos that don't know the first thing about engines or sleds standing there by the fence at Haydays thinkin the Apex is such a GREAT sled because its beating 120 Hp sleds by one sled length in 660 ft!! I can only pray for the day when it dawns on one these big "Sponsored" racers the money they are being screwed out of just to cram a certain technology down everybodys throat and takes one of these sanctioning bodies to court, with all their forulas they come up with to give a 4-stroke the unfair advantage!! Maybe then I'll get to run my piped 700 Ultra in the 600 improved stock class or my 800 XCR in the 700 stock class because they're "heavier"!! You want to see what real carnage looks like?? Unleash an 800 XCR in the 700 stock class running against 700 twins because they're heavier"!! And your comment about the Apex competeing or out performing the Mach or the F1000 is a joke!! WHY do you think you don't see the Apex run in the 1000cc class at haydays?? And this whole "you don't feel the weight" argument is funny!! It doesn't matter where you try and hide the weight on a sled, the weight is STILL there!! When it comes to maintaining them i came across this today..

I can change a helluva lot of plugs in the time it would take you to do this!! ^^^^^^^^^^
You said it man they just cant compare to a 2 stroke that has the same cc's, and the mpg is such bull from what I hear the skidoo 2 strokes get around 20 mpg if not at least 15 so the 4 strokes don't really get better gas mileage. I am not against 4 strokes either my dirt bike is a 4 srtoke, It just amazes how Yamaha brainwashes people lol

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by snowfox
[br]
[br]Octane that is really getting to be the worst argument goin for the strokers these days!! Sleds are classed according to cc's NOT weight!! If the playing weren't so tilted there'd be NO 2 vs 4-stroke debate! You wouldn't have all these yahoos that don't know the first thing about engines or sleds standing there by the fence at Haydays thinkin the Apex is such a GREAT sled because its beating 120 Hp sleds by one sled length in 660 ft!! I can only pray for the day when it dawns on one these big "Sponsored" racers the money they are being screwed out of just to cram a certain technology down everybodys throat and takes one of these sanctioning bodies to court, with all their forulas they come up with to give a 4-stroke the unfair advantage!! Maybe then I'll get to run my piped 700 Ultra in the 600 improved stock class or my 800 XCR in the 700 stock class because they're "heavier"!! You want to see what real carnage looks like?? Unleash an 800 XCR in the 700 stock class running against 700 twins because they're heavier"!! And your comment about the Apex competeing or out performing the Mach or the F1000 is a joke!! WHY do you think you don't see the Apex run in the 1000cc class at haydays?? And this whole "you don't feel the weight" argument is funny!! It doesn't matter where you try and hide the weight on a sled, the weight is STILL there!! When it comes to maintaining them i came across this today..

You said it man they just cant compare to a 2 stroke that has the same cc's, and the mpg is such bull from what I hear the skidoo 2 strokes get around 20 mpg if not at least 15 so the 4 strokes don't really get better gas mileage. I am not against 4 strokes either my dirt bike is a 4 srtoke, It just amazes how Yamaha brainwashes people lol
Have you acutally riden one or you just go buy the bull that you hear on the internet? Who cares what it gets for gas millage. They are about $14,600 msrp here in winnipeg and i can tell you a person buying a sled that costs that much dosnt care about gas millage, oil consuption or probly the polution factor. Why do people like triples and some like twins? People like 4 stocks because of there crazy toruqe and for me sound. I would ride a yamaha over any sled out there any day of the weak if i wasnt jumping. If you you trully belive a 600 sled that is moded same wise as the apex can beat it your on glue. I can tell you if you own a 600 sled lets say a prox 600 like mine that has some minor clutching and go against a apex thats stock you will die. IMO people who get so bent outa shape about what class they run in and why can turboed ones run in 800 or 1000 improved class are pretty much jelous of what other people have. If they spent the money to buy a turboed one and you spent lets say 5000 on moding you triple or twin and then you complain about why does he run in your class thats complete bull you both spent about 5000 on your sled if he wants to run in the 1000 improved class he can.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]
Originally posted by snowfox
[br]

Have you acutally riden one or you just go buy the bull that you hear on the internet? Who cares what it gets for gas millage. They are about $14,600 msrp here in winnipeg and i can tell you a person buying a sled that costs that much dosnt care about gas millage, oil consuption or probly the polution factor. Why do people like triples and some like twins? People like 4 stocks because of there crazy toruqe and for me sound. I would ride a yamaha over any sled out there any day of the weak if i wasnt jumping. If you you trully belive a 600 sled that is moded same wise as the apex can beat it your on glue. I can tell you if you own a 600 sled lets say a prox 600 like mine that has some minor clutching and go against a apex thats stock you will die. IMO people who get so bent outa shape about what class they run in and why can turboed ones run in 800 or 1000 improved class are pretty much jelous of what other people have. If they spent the money to buy a turboed one and you spent lets say 5000 on moding you triple or twin and then you complain about why does he run in your class thats complete bull you both spent about 5000 on your sled if he wants to run in the 1000 improved class he can.
No I haven't rode one never said I did, the reason I brought up gas mileage is that people try make it out to be such a big deal 15 mpg oh wow. A 600 probably wont win in a race I would hope not, there is a 400cc difference there. It just doesn't seem right to me that they run these 1000cc 4 strokes in the 600cc class. Like ultrastud said if they figure the weight hinders them enough that they need to be run in the 600cc class why aren't the larger cc 2 strokes in the 600 class, they weigh more to.

"If you you trully belive a 600 sled that is moded same wise as the apex can beat it your on glue."

Never said that the 2 stroke 600s shouldn't be able to compete like I said before 400cc difference. So why are they in the 600cc class when they have 400 more cc's seems like a unfair advantage to me. Let me go get a mach z and see how it keeps up to that.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
No I haven't rode one never said I did, the reason I brought up gas mileage is that people try make it out to be such a big deal 15 mpg oh wow. A 600 probably wont win in a race I would hope not, there is a 400cc difference there. It just doesn't seem right to me that they run these 1000cc 4 strokes in the 600cc class. Like ultrastud said if they figure the weight hinders them enough that they need to be run in the 600cc class why aren't the larger cc 2 strokes in the 600 class, they weigh more to.

"If you you trully belive a 600 sled that is moded same wise as the apex can beat it your on glue."

Never said that the 2 stroke 600s shouldn't be able to compete like I said before 400cc difference. So why are they in the 600cc class when they have 400 more cc's seems like a unfair advantage to me. Let me go get a mach z and see how it keeps up to that.
[/quote]

How can you say there slow and heavy and you can feel the weight if you have never riden one, and if you race a mach against it wouldnt that be unfair since the mach z has 20 more hp then a apex? if your gonna race a sled against it maybe you should atleast get one that has comparible hp. Maybe a 800 would be a good idea to compar a apex too since there within 10 hp of each other. Do you know what the real world weight is on a mach z? that and a apex rtx are with in 30 pounds of each other. if you get a apex rtx with revers and f1000 lxr the arex rtx weighs with in 5 pounds of the f1000, i acuatlly think the fxr f1000 weighs more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, I guess I shouldve known it would come to this...

You guys arguing about classes, look at motocross and supercross, the classes are the same there. A 450 4-stroke runs with 250 2-strokes. The power and delivery are just totally different so you cant really compare CC's to CC's across different types of engines. You wouldnt compare a diesel to a gas like that, take a duramax, 6.6L vs a 8.0L bigblock gas engine...duramax is what, almost 700lb/ft now, the 8.0 is like 450 i think.

I just wanted to know if the people banging on the new yamahas in reviews about being crappy quality and heavy as hell have anything to back their claims up. It seems like a lot more people are happy with them than are unhappy, and Ive found that people are much more likely to get online and write a review if they are unhappy than if you are happy, so its not fair to compare by reviews. Plus Im sure if I looked up a arctic cat or skidoo Id find the same thing.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think alot of us are tired of people telling everybody that the yamaha 4strokes are the best thing since sliced bread...I think their point is brought up every day....and if they actually do something like win a race its like someone just found a cure for cancer....im sure they are good sleds....but can we talk about something else please....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
we have an 06 apex mtn and heres what it think. our sled is is almost dead even with the 900 cats. the apex gets the holeshot while 2 stoker has better topend. the apex is a heavy sled but once u get it in some deeper snow its nto that bad. they are a good hillclimber. throw a turbo on and watch out. the sled is a horrible boondocker thought just a bit too heavy. soem great qaulity with those sleds because i jumping with a buddy and he had an 05 summit with 151 track and we both jumped the same hieight off a cornice and landed on dirt whihc was liek an 1 inch below the suraface and the 800 bent its rails but the yammi is fine. this sled is not a all around sled its a point and shoot. i find it hard to do donuts with because it has too much traction. even when you light weight it up it can still be a tree magnet. its nice having little maintainence though. i love the apex personnally in most cases except for tight trees. i prefer it over my phazer mtn lite but the apex is not the answer when it comes to mtn riding. i have never rode a shorttracker apex so can't comment on that. also for the apex you dealer will do a handlebar update for 30 bucks and you get whole new handlebar thats higher and is warmer. thats just my 2 cents though

1 - 20 of 55 Posts