Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold the bike, title never transferred, buyers house where the bike is located, is being condemened. Here's the rest of the story...

I sold my old 1985 Honda Magna to Paul (friend of friend of friend). Apparently, he never transferred title.

Fast forward two years later. I get a letter in the mail from the city. The guys house has been condemned and the the(my?) bike is sitting in the backyard. The letter comes as Paul XXX (property owner) and Dan Herstad (vehicle owner).

Letter states...inspection of the property located at the above address revealed the presence of the above-described vehicle. The vehicle appear to be 'abandoned or inorperative vehicle"...

You are hereby notified that you have fourteen days from the date of the letter to remove the said vehicles...if you do not correct the problem...you will be subject to towing and storage charges...and penality up to $1,000.

Inoperable Due To: Expired License

Vehicle Description: 1985 Black Honda Roadstar

I'm guessing I go down and get this bike this weekend since the douchbag never transferred title. Does anybody know if I have any legal right to the bike.? He did pay me the full asking price at the time of sale.

I could appeal the ruling but would rather have the bike back if it's within my legal rights.

I stopped down there last night and the bike is sitting in the backyard under three inches of snow, covered with debree, slowly dieing. Pretty sad actually.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
take it back man.if its abandon and the house is condemend its obvious they dont plan on returning to retrieve it.i would wait till a day or 2 before the close and if its still there id take it back.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Check to see if there is a time limit on title transfers. If the time has ran out, I would think the bike is legally yours. I would get the title stating that, before you go grab the bike, though.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Who's got the paper title? Probably the douche bag, right? If he's abandoned the bike but it's you who's on the hook for the fines, I'd go get it, but you have to realize, he's got a bill of sale and the paper title, now you've got his bike. If you fix it up and suddenly he shows up and wants it back you're screwed. If you can find him and you want it back ask him for the title back and tell him you'll take the bike off his hands and save him the legal hassles of any fines related to the condemnation.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Do you have anything showing you sold the bike to him?? Like the upper right hand portion of a MN title?? If you still have that OR if you sent it in to the state at the time of purchase, they (the state) CANNOT hold you liable for the bike in ANY way!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It's yours. I've been in similer situations. I sold a car once only to get a call 6 months later telling me to come and get my car at the impound lot. I went and got it, applied for a lost title, then resold the car. A few people I know had the same thing happen. If they don't transfer the title then it's their fault. In minnesota you can force someone to transfer a title. I'm not sure how that works though.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude paid cash and I signed over the title, no bill of sale was drawn up. I could be a snake and deny ever selling it, take the bike, and get a lost title for it. The city says they will repo on the 14th. Saturday the 13th I'll go down there and if the bike is still there I'll take it. I know I could get the whole thing straightened out at the DMV but I don't want the city to repo it and get there hands on it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Don't let the city repo it or they will be after you for the towing and storage because it is still registered in your name.
I would bring it home ad if your buddy doesn't come looking for his bike by spring I'd claim it back.
If your buddy shows up tell him he owes you for rescueing the bike and storage.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
if the title was never transfered and the bike is abandoned (as the city says it is) its legally yours. if the guy cant furnish a bill of sale then the city will side with you on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts