Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[purple]I realize that the offering of triple cylinder power plants is coming to an end. I have a 1997 Polaris Indy Ultra SP which has 3 separate cylinders, not a solid block. I haven't had the opportunity to look at a new sled with a triple (for fear of buying one!) to see if new power plants have solid blocks or separate jugs. I would think that the separate jug set up would have more efficient cooling especially for the center jug. Any thoughts on this???[/purple][/size=4][/font=Comic Sans MS]

[purple]Kimba466[/purple][/size=4][/font=Comic Sans MS]
[purple]Ride Safe[/purple][/font=Comic Sans MS]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Triples do seem like they are coming to an end. They are always changing to make us buy the new stuff! I also have a '97 Ultra SP, painted it black though! The new XCR 800's are seperate jugs, they are probably on their way out as well. I have not had a problem with my sled, 5500 miles so far. Hot rod has over 10,000 miles on his Ultra.

Runner

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Not all manufacturors are going away from the triples. Yamaha's entire line up are triples, except for the VK 540 (twin) and the RX-1 (four cylinder).

I'm not sure if the Viper is a mono block or seperate cylinder. Sled Dog should know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Every triple made today has seperate jugs for each cylinder. I had an XLT which was a monoblock (one block) and it ran fine. The jetting was stagered to compensate for one side running hotter the the other, but she ran great. Now I have a XCR 600 with the individual jugs and the one cylinder is still jetted smaller and that runs fine too. If the cooling system is properly designed, I dont think either one has an advantage. Heck all car engines are in a sense monoblocks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts