Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some who think that Eliason was the first guy to make a sled ,, well , your almost right ,, Joseph Armnand Bombardier had his made 2 years before Eliason. 1922 for ski-doo and 1924 for Eliason's first 2.5HP Outboard Johnson motor using a model T ford Radiator,had it patented in 1927, they were called motor toboggans.
compared to Yamaha who came out with their first sled in 1968 the SL350.
Here's a couple pictures for you guys , the first one is the official first sled built by Joseph A Bombardier in 1920 and was ready by 1922. Enjoy/snofan/../images/users/acadian/firstsnowmobile.gif

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/2phasesled.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/eliasonsled.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/eliasonsled2.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/phase2t.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/sled3.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/acadian/sled4.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[xx(] ,, how come that screwed up like that ,, layout was supposed to be on under the other ,, [xx(] ,,sorry guys ,, hopefully someone can fix this

[red] Edited by Polaris-Man, It's ok to be mad about something but please try to refrain from swearing...[/red]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice find. Makes me respect the sled I have so much more! I wonder if they knew when those were made how much the industry would change, and how many people would be riding them 80 years later.....
-SEF

and I bet they didn't have handwarmers! :)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Here's one by Alouette.
I wanted to post a pic of this rocket on the super-speed-sled post a few weeks ago but couldn't find this pic.
Finally found it at the Bombadier museum site.
It's cool...check it out.
http://www.fjab.qc.ca/entrance2.htm

/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/big_al.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
So where are you suposed to sit? A def man would go nuts sitting in the middle.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I bet you could wake the neighbers with that thing.does it have an ejection seat.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just makes you appreciate what we have today and how technology has changed ,,,,,imagine 40 years ahead , what it'll be like ,,,,,,stock 250hp sleds mmmmmmmmm i can't wait, ehheh

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looking at the picture for Bombardiers homemade thing, it looks like a propellor is at the back and it is actually a sleigh pushed by air. I would say Eliason had the first true track driven snowmobile that could be driven off road. Bombardiers could only be driven on roads with the sleigh platform. Have to give the credit to Eliason. Sorry acadian!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess you never saw the movie with him driving his prop job in snow drifts when he completed it, hehe, that was funny. Talk about dangerous. I did a project on that guy in physics class, what a thinker that guy was, I would say he deserves the credit because i think he even had the first production track driven ones aswell, because it got patented. They were bigger though, like B-5s and B-7, etc. I thought it was a know fact that he invented the snowmobile, hmmm.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
with eliason those were built 45 minutes from my house! the town those pictures are from is Clintonville Wisconsin i drive thru that town alot in the summer when going camping

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hahah sorry , i can maybe edit them a little intendedacceleration,, maybe put a couple snow bunnies in there for us al to enjoy, heheh
Yeah but those are some pretty nice pics ,, bet you those guys never thaugh of what was to be some 75 years later. Nice quality to on those pics

1 - 20 of 21 Posts