Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 1989 Yamaha WaveRunner 500 or 540 ( something like that ). Needs a little work. Steering is disconnected ( anyone know how the steering system on these works? ). Said he'll take $250 for it, and it has a brand new motor with all the paperwork.

Anything I should know about them? Figured it would be nice to have in the summer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you can get under the body of it where you can see the shaft and the prop. And if there is no screen there then grab the shaft and see if there is any movement, if there is then your prolly going to need to replace the bearings and maybe the prop and maybe the shaft and the tolernce this the pump housing is prolly need to be redone to.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The prop? You mean impeller, right?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found another one right down the road for $125. Needs some work. Little fiberglass up front, and some wiring work. The guy we got it from bought it expecting to be able to do something with it, then realized a bunch of the wires were cut and re-routed, so I'm assuming they were trying to trace no spark. Just ordered a used stator and cdi for $25 for all of it.

Will post up some pics as soon as my dad gets off his phone ( took them with his phone ).

----

Here she is [thumb]
201041319471890_27886.jpg
2010413194725640_27886.jpg

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dekk85 said:
kinda old...
You can find a newer one for $125? It's only an 88'.

My dad's also looking at an 03' Sea-Doo 800 that has a blown motor, and a 95' Sea-Doo 700xp that needs some carb work or something.

·
Registered
910 Posts
how long you going to keep these now?LOL.. not bad a little old but at leaset if ya wreck it your not out alot of money!

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Dekk85 said:
kinda old...
Only an '88? That's 22 years old. That's pretty old as far as toys are concerned.

Considering it's only worth maybe $400 in good condition anyway, it hardly seems worth it after you put your time and money into it to get it in decent shape, IMO. But then again, I would have saved my money and bought a newer one that doesn't look prehistoric...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
Dekk85 said:
kinda old...
Only an '88? That's 22 years old. That's pretty old as far as toys are concerned...
for $125 and a summer of fun, worth it IMO if it runs and floats.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
In the jetski world any thing 5-10 yrs old is called obsolete because jetskis have evolved very fast over the years. I think u should take it for a spin first to see if it works. I think it would be fun to beat on but since I have a watercross sled I do not need one. LOL

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sks7kid said:
hmm Im sure you could have traded your sled for a newer one?
You're right. That's what my dads doing with his sled, but I need a sled. Yes, need. Haha. Snowmobiles are good for everything. Grass, ramps, and water skipping. Plus, if my jet ski gets me from one side of the lake to the other faster than 20mph, I'll be damn happy.

Mad-Boondocker said:
In the jetski world any thing 5-10 yrs old is called obsolete because jetskis have evolved very fast over the years. I think u should take it for a spin first to see if it works. I think it would be fun to beat on but since I have a watercross sled I do not need one. LOL
Yes, I know. It's kind of like snowmobiles. It seems that newer ones are rider forward in comparison to the older ones. Only thing keeping me away from going newer is the price tag.

My dad picked up one today that's been sitting ( but turns over, has compression, and has spark ) for $160.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
^^ I have rode early jetskis and they are like boats then in the 80's companys slimmed them down by making the rider stand up. then company beefed them up a bit for sit down riders. I have rode a brand new Sea-Doo and they are almost like a boat but they are fast so it makes up for it.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I really need to take an updated inventory of stuff I have that I previously thought was worn out, out dated, not worth enough to fix, weathered, ugly, not even that fun, and just plain crap, then post it all on Maine craig's list. Apparently there is a market for that stuff. Who would've thought!

I suppose your next move (dad's I guess I should say) is to go find a rusty trailer with no wheels for it and "fix it".[thumb]

MY GOD...What is this family thinking? If it were an isolated incident I'd say whatever, but week after week. It must just be the water in his particular trailer park because everyone else from Maine I've had any communication with seems cool[dunno]

This really takes the cake....
sledcrusher Can't wait to get my vanity plate. XPLDER.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sledneck1978 said:
I really need to take an updated inventory of stuff I have that I previously thought was worn out, out dated, not worth enough to fix, weathered, ugly, not even that fun, and just plain crap, then post it all on Maine craig's list. Apparently there is a market for that stuff. Who would've thought!

I suppose your next move (dad's I guess I should say) is to go find a rusty trailer with no wheels for it and "fix it".[thumb]

MY GOD...What is this family thinking? If it were an isolated incident I'd say whatever, but week after week. It must just be the water in his particular trailer park because everyone else from Maine I've had any communication with seems cool[dunno]

This really takes the cake....
sledcrusher Can't wait to get my vanity plate. XPLDER.
So, you diss us because we buy stuff? Cool!

More junk actually sells in New Hampshire as well ( just for the reference ).

And actually, right now my dad's looking at a pair of 2002 Sea-Doo's ( not sure what size ), and a 2-place trailer.

And whats wrong with the vanity plate? It's going on an explorer.

Another thing that's funny is, you can choose whether to reply or not reply. Don't reply if you don't like the subject.

And trailer. Now that was funny. More like just our garage is 3 times bigger than a trailer and stands 32 feet tall. More like a barn that cost $35k to build ( plus electrical stuff )

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
WOW THAT GARAGE SOUNDS NEAT!

If anyone wants to try to grow their savings, dump it into this...buy the domain name "vintagejetskis.com" and start a forum! You'd be a millionaire. Imagine the group of members you'd attract, then soon after, the group of advertisers. Here's a list of advertisers that would be all over that type of member....

Any deodorant company
Any shampoo company
Cost Cutters
Maaco Auto Body
Wal-Mart brand cat litter
Wal-Mart brand cat food
Any baby diaper company (preferably sold at store that will run them under "WIC" vouchers)
GPC cigarettes
Hamms beer
Karkov Vodka
NIX lice shampoo
Herpecin cold sore medicine
Any personal injury attorney
Western Union
Greyhound Bus Service

And last but not least, the "We build 32' tall garage co. for 35k construction co"

There are many more but I don't want to take all the space up on sean's killer jet ski thread. Obviously everyone is glued to their computers waiting to see what he'll say next.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A 32' tall garage eh? Does it have 2 levels or what? Because our shop has 16' sidewalls and that is because we have to get farm equipment in and out of it and I doubt you have any farm equipment unless I missed that thread.

P.S. 35k doesn't get you a 32' tall building. Not even close. Unless it has a dirt floor

1 - 20 of 64 Posts