Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going up north in a few weeks and I didnt have an extra sled for the 3rd friend coming, so I borrowed my cousins on the condition I fix some stuff on it, and do a basic inspection and lube. I have a Clymer book on the older Indy's, and some of it's the same, but not all of it.

For example, on the M-10, he has it set light, as he's a small guy, I'm a big guy and wanted to adjust it. The diagram on the hood shows that you loosen the nut, loosen the lock nut, then thread it in to move the shaft so its at a steeper angle. I have threaded it as far as I can before I hit the little bushing. Can I remove that bushing so I can adjust it further?

The chaincase has a mechanical reverse on it, and he says that sometimes when you put it in reverse it will clunk, like its coming from the secondary, and sometimes it acts like its not fully engaged and will grind. I see there's an adjustment on the linkage, but I dont know where its supposed to be adjusted so I know its fully engaged. And, because it has reverse, is the chain tension supposed to be different? I know the adjustment on the older Indy's without the reverse, but not sure on this one.

The speedo does not work. He said he had a bearing go out on the driveshaft and it took out the speedo in the process. He replaced the track, but didnt do the speedo. Is it just a key in there, and what all is needed to fix it? I already have the secondary off, unscrewed the cable, and have the flange off that goes around it. I see a hole coming out of the driveshaft, and one on the piece I took off. I cant tell, cuz there's grease and crap in there, but is there just like a square key that goes in there, then connects thru the flange and spins the speedo cable? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I can provide 1/3 help. It is just a square key about 2 or 3 inches long for the speedo issue.
I'm not positive if chain tension is different for mechanical reverse or not, but think it would be the same. I am unfamiliar with manual adjustments on the M10 because my dad's '03 Edge X 600 M-10 has an electric motor that adjusts the angle of the rear shock via push-button.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
M10: There should be an adjuster block on the rail that slides forward as you increase the angle of the cross shaft resulting in a stiffer suspension. The adjuster bolt should be up tight against the block on the rail. Note the hash marks on the rails and use that for a starting point, setting it up for your weight.

The adjuster bolt block does have 2 holes it can be mounted in. I think the forward hole is where you want it. That will allow you to adjust it stiffer as you will be able to move the shaft about 1/2" further forward.

I am not sure what you mean by bushing in that area?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I figured out it was the key, but it sheared off in the driveshaft, and now I cant seem to get it outta there. Gonna try to use a o ring pick, then use a magnet to get her out.

The chaincase is what I really need help on, I have no idea where to adjust it at, there's gotta be someone on here that would know, or has the manual and could tell me. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/312-xc/507260-02-xc-700-mechanical-reverse-installation-help.html

Here's a topic on HCS that covers some reverse info for you.

D

·
Registered
591 Posts
you will have a hell of a time trying to get the drive key out, they fit pretty tight in there, you need to drill it out, and pick the rest of it out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I found the second hole, I'll adjust that. Will that key be that big of an issue to get out? Is that a hardened key? Probably have to have a small 1/16" drill bit...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It is a flexible key, like the stuff the speedo cable is made out of. I don't think you would be able to find something like it at a hardware store, shouldn't have a problem gettin getting it for less than couple bucks used off CL or worst case, at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already have a speedo key, and I went to put it in, as the housing end didnt have anything in it, and I went to put it in the driveshaft end, and it wouldnt go, so I figured it was stuck in there. I'll have to try drilling it out, problem is getting in there with a drill....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I wouldn't drill it. That would leave a round hole instead of a square hole and the key won't turn. Thread a small screw in there and pull it out with a pliers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a better idea, easier then trying to get it out by drilling it. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still no luck on removing the speedo key, tried a screw, couldnt get it to thread, tried a pick, still couldnt get it. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you try the magnet? Maybe spary some penetrating oil in there and compressed air to clean it out and the magnet would do the trick...??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts