Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a dilema, do I sell my sled now when it is actually worth something with the snow on the ground?

I work too much, too busy with the kids activities, causes financial stress, not enough ppl to ride with anyways,(Dad, brother-in-law, that's it).

In the past I justified it that this is all I do, Photographer/businessman, Dad and Snowmobiler.......no frigg'in golf, hunting, 4x4'n (Caravan kept getting stuck), drinking, smoking, womenizing.

Somebody tell me that the sled is worth more in the garage than the cash is in the bank.

·
Registered
243 Posts
5 years ago I sold all my sleds save 1 because my 5 year old girl was diagnosed with cancer. Needed the money to pay bills. Long story short - don't do it! If you ride once or twice a year it is worth it to keep what you've got for the pleasure. The money got spent, the bills still piled sky high, and I could have taken my little girl snowmobiling which she loves!

DON'T GET OUT OF THE SPORT!!

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
you won't realize how lucky you are to have sleds until after you've got none

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just sick of not being able to pay it off the credit line, and having it sit there in the car-hold.
Chalk one up for bank debt to open the new studio I guess (high end digital cameras and printers aren't cheap).
My newly built toboggan wouldn't be useless without the XC.
http://www.digitalportraitstudios.com/sled/toboggan
I could pull it with the Trailcat just fine, so my kids wouldn't loose out.
Guess I am just having a bad day... feeling a little sorry for myself and my money woes.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by razorsharp:
5 years ago I sold all my sleds save 1 because my 5 year old girl was diagnosed with cancer. Needed the money to pay bills. Long story short - don't do it! If you ride once or twice a year it is worth it to keep what you've got for the pleasure. The money got spent, the bills still piled sky high, and I could have taken my little girl snowmobiling which she loves!

DON'T GET OUT OF THE SPORT!!

[/quote]

How is your daughter?

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
243 Posts
She can't wait to race!! Took her to a grass drag a couple weeks ago and she was hooked. 41/2 years of chemo though. It was tough on her and I plan on spoiling her whenever I get a chance.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey 500, I'd keep it, I work to much, have no time for anything, had to cancell out on my deerhunting trip, my buddies were pi$$ed, [I'm the only one with quads]. But I can always make time to ride, if only to go get a TIMMY'S and back. It's the only thing keeping me out of the nut-house. nut-house, nut-house, nut-house. LOL.
p.s. Hey Razorsharp, Glad to hear your daughter is doing ok.

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by razorsharp:
She can't wait to race!! Took her to a grass drag a couple weeks ago and she was hooked. 41/2 years of chemo though. It was tough on her and I plan on spoiling her whenever I get a chance.

Thanks for asking.

[/quote]

Good to hear shes okay.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Razorsharp
I'm so glad to hear your daughter is doing well and that you value your time together as much as you do and that you have the ability to partake in activities you both enjoy. I said it here before, but sledding is an excellent way to keep the family together.

Hearing about you having to sell your assets just to pay for medical expenses just to try to save a loved one should shock us Canadians to write/phone/fax/email our politicians to back off on privatizing our one-tier funded health care system and to provide funds to maintain it.

Fasenough
Don't sell the sled.
It's obvious you love riding from all your previous posts.
If you sell it, you'll pay off a small amount on your overall debt, and in the near future be right back where you started from minus the enjoyment of your sled. (Unless you cut yourself off from further credit purchases.) I know you have the Trailcat, however, you like the rest of us, aren't getting any younger and would miss the suspension of a newer sled. Not to mention the reliability. Trust me, I'm talking from experience here after riding my partners daughter's 85 Yamaha, Enticer for a good chunk of the day last year. My back still aches when I think about it. LOL
You might want to talk to your creditors about rewriting your loans. Is there any government grants available for small businesses? Is there a credit/debt counselling service available to help you look at all of your options. They're funded by United Way agencies in many parts of the continent.
In closing, don't rush out and do something you'll most likely regret for a long time. Think this through and try to work out a plan that you can scrutinize your spending more closely and try to cut a lot of little corners as oposed to drastic measures.
I know how you're feeling. Just take the time to look at the big picture.
Once you get rid of a toy, it's difficult to justify getting another one in the future. I don't envy you in this decision you're faced with.

Good luck.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER
or
DRIVE LIKE LIGHTNING,
CRASH LIKE THUNDER!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure felt like an idiot unloading my problems in here after Razors post.
I have 3 beautiful healthy children that still love and respect their dad.
I am so happy to hear that your daughter is OK Razor,(what's her name?), I am sure that experience changed your entire outlook on your life and your family.

Cancer has touched my family as well, and never with good results, so it's hard to talk about, but I love hearing that others have come out OK.

When I opened my portrait studio I was out to compete with Walmart, and thought more ppl would not mind paying a little more for really good professional portrait photography...........well I was wrong, and realized that after struggling for a year, my clients were here cause they would never go to Walmart for pictures, and would not mind paying a little more than I was charging.

So after reading your very encouraging posts I am raising my prices this morning and keeping my sled. I will still be the cheapest professional portrait studio in town, but trying to keep up with the whack of photos ppl get with their $7.00 at Walmart has worn me down.

Thank you so much for all your remarks. I work alone, and this is the only place that I can vent during the day........thanks.

Kevin L. (feeling much better about my prices) Carlson

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
That's alright, you gotta have some place to vent...might as well be here. I think raising prices is not a bad thing, everyone does it, it is just something that needs to be done with a rising economy.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't let my experiences make your problems seem small. In my opion though you should enjoy every moment you can because you never know. Take the kids for a short ride and that is worth keeping the sled alone. They'll love it and be begging for more.

My daughter's name is Dusti./snofan/../images/users/razorsharp/Dusti small.JPG

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a heart-breaker......she's cute!
You'll be like me, in a few years we'll be spending our Saturday nites on the porch with a shotgun...

My daughter is only 3.
This is the only pic I have scanned with the kids.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/4x5.jpg
Here is where the kids will be riding this winter.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/side.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
DON'T SELL!!! I bought two dirt bikes, paid them off, then sold them. I regretted it two months later. Now I bought two more. I sold my old sled because we weren't getting any snow. The four times I could have ridden, I was kicking myself. Now I am paying on a new one. Don't waste the cash you have already put into the investment. Keep it, keep it clean, keep it working and you will not regret it.

Live to Ride! - FrozenSmile

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey razorsharp, i'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well!! That must have been scary...

Anyway i think it's great you people are making it like a family-sport. My father and i never even hardly knew eachother before we both found out how much we loved snowmobiling. Once we had something great like that in common, we totally hit it off on everything else.

I'm looking forward to being able to buy a mini-x for my kids as soon as i have a few :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts