Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the sleds out today to clean them up and noticed that there is something fishy with the upper wheels. As you can see by the picture the wheel is not alligned with the hole and obviously there is not a bolt there. They are missing from both sides. I bought this sled last year and rode it all season. I have no idea when the bolts came out, maybe they were gone all season.
Does anyone know the mechanics of this and what I can do to fix it.
[attachment=48013]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you should support the back of the sled high enough to drop the skid down a bit, look and see if the bolts are broken off in there or if they spun out. if they just spun out you should be able to just get new bolts and put back together.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Put new bolts in with locktit, its normal for the holes not to line up, it takes a little bit of forcing to get it to line up. Definatly put bolts in before you ride it again.

·
Registered
982 Posts
To be honest, I'm surprised you were able to even ride like that. Definatley get that fixed asap, and enjoy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I get it to line up. I had the back way up in the air to take the pressure off the track but it does not seem to want to move. Also does anyone happen to know what size the bolt is or is it some specialty bolt I will have to order and it will cost me 20 bucks for two bolts. Definately will have to use some locktite.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you need to take the tension off of the rear torsion springs, where the long end comes down to the side of the skid rail and rests in the black plastic seat. just lift the spring out and bring it out and down along the side of the track. if you support the skid you can remove one of the front skid bolts and take it to a hardware store. get a grade 8 bolt that matches it closely in size. in addition to the bolts you'll need one washer and one split/lock washer for each side. should be able to see what you need by looking at the front bolt. the bolts at a hardware store will probably be a couple bucks at most.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]I use a small ratchet strap to slightly compress the suspension. Works for me anyway.
thats what i do also
a small ractchet strap and alittle bit of work

the front bolts i think are pretty close to the same size im not 100% on that though,maybe take the front ones out and go to the local hardware store and try to match'em up.

you might have to take the front ones out anyway and put the back ones in first though, i cant remember which order i did mine but one way was easier to line it up than the other.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
if he takes the spring tension off, the rear scissor arm moves relatively freely. i always put the front bolts in first since the from arm doesn't move. then lift the back up to the holes and move it into position. having a friend to help is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
as coustomized said take the rear springs out of the block's....but if your doing this by yourself tip the sled on its side and it will be much easier to align the holes up and put the bolt in...then tip the sled over and to the same on the other side...put the springs back on and away you go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I will have to try again tommorrow. I had to quit for the day as I just kept messing things up. First I was pulling the trailer out and ran over my wifes chimanea. Busted it all to pieces. Not good.
So I take the springs off at the long end then I decide maybe if I start the sled and rotate the track it will loosen up. Of course the springs whip around and end up bent in the top of the tunnel. I cannot believe this. Just goes to show that every time i try to fix something it just gets worse. Oh well I guess I will give another try tomorrow. Just to make things a little worse my 4 year old daughter steps in dog crap then goes and walks all over the seats in my truck. Bad day just getting worse. I think I need a few Bud Lights[:(!][:(!][:(!]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
im just saying this because it hasnt been said yet but is your skid maybe bolted through the tunnel and you just happen to have drop brackets on your sled i do on my cat? I find it very hard to belive that the back of your skid was unbolted last season and you rode on it without noticing. take a look and see if it is bolted through your tunnel.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
it couldnt possibly be bolted throught the tunnel because those are the top idler wheels and they are on th shaft the gets bolted to the tunnesl....good thought though mcc-bri

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by mcc-bri
[br]im just saying this because it hasnt been said yet but is your skid maybe bolted through the tunnel and you just happen to have drop brackets on your sled i do on my cat? I find it very hard to belive that the back of your skid was unbolted last season and you rode on it without noticing. take a look and see if it is bolted through your tunnel.

ahhh, you may be right. i didn't look at mine before answering. on the edge, the bolt doesn't go through the wheel. there's an aluminum piece that drops it down. there may not be a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah, big old brain fart. as long as the bolts are in above the running board, there is no issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by 99 ZL 500
[br]it couldnt possibly be bolted throught the tunnel because those are the top idler wheels and they are on th shaft the gets bolted to the tunnesl....good thought though mcc-bri
couldnt possibly be through the tunnel? i have a feeling that its the same as my zr and has the blocks off the shaft and is bolted through the tunnel, your sled is the same way.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
here's mine

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly what mine looks like. But then what is that drop bracket for. It looks like a bolt should go through there and through the idler wheel.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its just an option if you want to have your track lower. you can have it in the drop bracket or through the tunnel

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
no, if you look up between the tunnel and the wheel there is an aluminum piece. that piece clamps on the shaft that the wheel is on. the aluminum piece is kind of oval and at the other end it gets the bolt through it. the lower hole is for setting your suspension up differently.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.