Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Soo I - 500 Updates

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  elanman 
#1 ·
Here is a link for updates, there is a space between the i and 500 www.i 500.com[:)]

#9 ·
2003 I-500
As of : 2/1/03 3:19:54 PM
At lap: 203
Place Sled# Driver Team Machine From
1 02 Gordie Postula J&M Racing YAMAHA Cheboygan MI
2 33 Corey Davidson Stihl-Pro 5 POLARIS Newfolden MN
3 14 Mike Gentz Gentz Racing YAMAHA Skandia MI
4 11 John C Bosek Wuppet/Dogpatch Wace POLARIS Garfield MN
5 69 Troy Dewald Millenium Motor Sports POLARIS Augres MI
6 67 John Hoos Hoos Racing POLARIS Ossineke MI
7 26 Scott Maciag Maciag Racing ARCTIC CAT Goetzville MI
8 45 Mike Babcock Thunder Racing POLARIS Sault Ste. Marie MI
9 46 Robert Walker Jr. Walker Racing ARCTIC CAT Hemlock MI
10 57 Todd Krikke Felzk/Pierce Racing POLARIS Hudsonville MI
11 85 Bill Wilkes Eichenberg Racing YAMAHA Wasilla AK
12 12 Grant Vermeersch Chow Racing POLARIS Unionville MI
13 43 Greg Barnaby Barnaby Racing POLARIS Caledonia MI
14 4 George Wilson J & M Racing YAMAHA Sault Ste. Marie ONT
15 66 Jeff Kipfmiller Team Highland ARCTIC CAT Midland MI
16 84 Gary Bowers Eichenberg Racing YAMAHA Eagle River AK
17 16 Shane Wahl Pro-5 POLARIS Conroe TX
18 10 Doug Kammeraad Kammi Racing POLARIS Shelbyville MI
19 19 Chad Bauer Tommie Bauer Racing ARCTIC CAT Farwell MI
20 72 Karl Schwartz Schwartz Racing SKI DOO Freeland MI
21 8 Chad Gueco Eagle River Yamaha YAMAHA Wasilla AK
22 99 Danial Nelson Nelson Racing SKI DOO Whitecloud MI
23 7 John Lynch Loshaw Racing POLARIS Mt. Morris MI
24 70 Cody Badour Top Cat Racing ARCTIC CAT Lake MI
25 9 Aron Mayer Go Till She Blow POLARIS Rudyard MI
26 91 Paul Vanderploeg Vanderploeg/Nelson Racing POLARIS Morley MI
27 03 Jim Kirts Bad Frog Racing POLARIS Flint MI
28 27 Bill Stevens Cat House Racing ARCTIC CAT Ashley MI
29 50 Mike Kurkowski Kurkowski Racing POLARIS Durand MI
30 76 Ivan Hansen Hansen Racing T-S Special Hillman MI
31 93 Antero Tavudd Maple Leaf Motor Sports POLARIS Echo Bay ONT
32 41 Jamie Vincent Bosker Racing POLARIS East Jorden MI
33 78 Chris Schmidt Schmidt Bros Motor Sports YAMAHA Whittemore MI
34 63 Justin Winter Team Green ARCTIC CAT Elk River MN
35 75 Brady Dyrdahl Prundog Racing ARCTIC CAT Bagley MN
36 53 Michael Kolbus JR. Kolbus Racing ARCTIC CAT Munsing MI
37 21 Russ Chartrand Cadarette Collision Racing POLARIS Brimley MI
38 00 Eric Fountain Fountain Bloch Racing POLARIS Sault Ste. Marie MI

#10 ·
Davidson won it. I have been hearing that some guy was killed there this year. I don't know if it's confirmed.

#11 ·
woo hoo

Polaris comes out as #1

#12 ·
SAULT STE. MARIE -- Corey Davidson of Newfolden, Minn. ensured his place in snowmobiling history Saturday night, becoming only the second driver to ever win four times at the International 500 Snowmobile Race when he piloted his #33 Polaris to victory.
Davidson tied the mark of excellence established by the legendary John Wicht III through hard racing, durable equipment and the bad fortune of John Bosek. In addition to the I-500 Trophy, the Davidson and co-driver Tim Hjelle, earned a minimum of $13,000 in prize money.

The lead changed hands for the final time on Lap 487 when the Bosek machine went down coming out of Turn #4. A frantic repair effort by the Wuppet Wace Team did get the #11 Polaris back on the track, but only after it had fallen six laps behind. That mechanical failure propelled Davidson and the rest of the Stihl-Pro 5 Race team into the Winner's Circle.

Polaris took the top three positions in Saturday's race with Bosek finishing in second and the #43 sled of Greg Barnaby out of Caledonia coming in third. Polaris ran its winning streak to 14 with the victory in the 35th Annual I-500. There were 19 Polaris sleds entered in the race.

The folks at Yamaha will likely be extremely pleased with their showing with four of the much-ballyhooed 1000 CC four stroke models finishing in the top 10. Gordie Postula drove the new Yamaha to a fourth place finish for J & M Racing, completing 491 laps. Chad Gueco, a 19-year-old driver from Wasilla, Alaska and his co-driver, Travis Adams of the Yukon, apparently learned a great deal in their first visit to the I-500 -- finishing in fifth place. Another Alaskan, Gary Bowers of Eichenberg Racing used his team's inaugural run to earn a seventh place finish, while George Wilson piloted a second J & M Racing Yamaha into ninth. Yamaha had seven machines in Saturday's race.

Arctic Cat mustered one top 10 finish with Jeff Kipfmiller of Midland finishing in eighth. Chad Bauer of Farwell narrowly missed with an 11th place finish. There were nine Arctic Cats running when the green flag was dropped Saturday morning.

Ski-Doo had two representatives in Saturday's race with the #99 Nelson Racing sled of Daniel Nelson serving as the top machine for this manufacturer with a 13th place finish.

It was a tough day for local racing teams. The #21 Polaris of Cadarette Collision Racing with Russ Chartrand of Brimley and the #00 Polaris of Fountain Block Racing of Eric Fountain were both knocked out of the race in a three sled crash on Lap #40.

Aaron Mayer of Rudyard finished in 14th place with the #9 Polaris of Go Till She Blows completing 475 laps. Mike Babcock of the Sault wound up in 22nd place on the day, but did experience a short run at the head of the pack around the midway point. In fact, the Thunder Racing Team's Polaris was in the lead for at least 10 laps between Laps 250 and 300.

Another local boy, Goetzville's Scott Maciag, also had a run at the head of the pack leading for more than 25 laps early on in the race.

Last year's defending champion, Skandia's Mike Gentz, was unable to re-capture the magic of the 2002 I-500. Despite switching from the Polaris to the new Yamaha, the #14 sled of Gentz Racing crossed the finish line in 24th place.

Notify Moderator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.