Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm stumped. I can see the clutch spin the right way intill it fires then it runs backwards and stays running backwards. Any help would be great

·
Registered
519 Posts
either that or i have seen it on a polaris once that the guy hooked up some wires backwards and that made it run backwards, im not sure it this is the same with the cats or if he was just pulling my leg but i did see it turning backwards...

·
Registered
208 Posts
what are you starting it with starter or pull if it the starter it could be wired wrong some how and if its pull did you have to replace the rope and spun it on backwards other than that i have no clue....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i dont think starters can turn backwords because the force sends them to the end of the shaft on a slot, but maybe i am wrong, not sur what to tell ya the only sled i ever seen run backwards was a poo with perc

i wouldnt probably run it to much because if your pulling it to start one way then it switches you could break a rod or something if it would hit right when its firing

·
Registered
208 Posts
ya idk im scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm thinking timing.... are the spark plug boots connected to the correct spark plug? You would think if the boots were on the opposite plug it would reverse the timing of the spark

·
Registered
519 Posts
actually if the plug wires are on the other cylinder it does not change the timing the plugs fire at the exact same time no matter where the piston is in its stroke so you can swap them out and it wont change a thing. im thinking it would be the timing on the stator or like said before the pull start being wound wrong... oh and dodgetruck2 you are right that the types of starters in most vehicles can only run in one direction because of the force of the spinning is what causes the gear to move up on the shaft to connect with the ring gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A buddy told me it could be a crack in magnets so I'm going to try a differnt flywheel tomarow. Other then that I'm stumped if tryed changing wires around and adjusting timing and still no improvment

·
Registered
17 Posts
hardmikke6996 said:
what are you starting it with starter or pull if it the starter it could be wired wrong some how and if its pull did you have to replace the rope and spun it on backwards other than that i have no clue....
If the recoil was wound in the opposite direction the spring would bind and make alot of noise

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
mmijessem1 said:
hardmikke6996 said:
If the recoil was wound in the opposite direction the spring would bind and make alot of noise
plus the recoil on work when pulled the correct direction because it works the same as a starter, it only catch and deploys goin one way

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Has the CDI been changed?
The wrong one will cause this to happen.

Is the trigger sensor in the right position?
Incorrect position will throw the timing way off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hahaha that sucks, kinda funny tho... it could be your crank too... sometimes when they lock up it causes them to twist where they are pressed together then when you do the top end and the crank is tweaked it will throw the timing way out. any crank shop can true them, dunno the price, mine is 400 bucks to do but they are replacing a bunch of bearings on it

·
Registered
308 Posts
polarisorbust said:
hey, push button reverse, lol
HAHA yeah i accidentally kicked my dads summit in reverse one time trying to get it unstuck in about 4 foot of snow, it took about a half hour of digging and pulling before we realized it was in reverse facing up hill.

·
Registered
203 Posts
swampbuck88 said:
figured it out took a bit but got it. The pick up coil on the stator was fliped around. Thanks for the help
That will do it!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts