Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a spark arrestor, what does it do, and is it needed, will a bike be louder without it, and can it cause any damages if I take it off.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Spark arrestors are used to keep sparks from flying out the tailpipe and possibly catching something(forest)on fire...In most states they are required, and I'm pretty sure there mandatory to have if you wish to ride in a ORV park. Per say the bike won't be louder without is cuz it's in the silencer...now if you gut the silencer than yes, it will be annoyingly(sp) loud. Just buy an aftermarket silencer, which usually has an arrestor built in, this will give you a louder, snappy exhaust note and you will have the best of both worlds....

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1987 Yamaha Moto 4

·
Registered
699 Posts
ohh i see. you dont need a spark arrestor take out your whole silencer system and buy a cherry bomb pipe for it ( the ones for ford probes work best) it will be louder than a son of a b!tCh but i like stuff loud. and the loudness will be a deep throaty sound sorta like a newer fourstroke motocross bike

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Nope you shouldnt need one, when it backfires or something it could start a fire but their is a rare chance of that happening "iv never heard of it ever happening"..Iv seen bikes with strieght pipes and flames dont even comeout when u rev it up..if you dont ride trails TOSS IT..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it illegal to not have one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
it's only illegal if you get caught.....j/k :))

It depends where you are going to ride, if you are going to ride on state lands, then it may very well be illegal. If you are going to ride on private lands, then it doesn't matter. It you are going to be licensing it (dual purpose) and riding on the road, then more than likely it needs to have a spark arrestor and a muffler that is w/in acceptable db limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts