Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told to gap my plugs at 20 thousands rather then the standard 28 thousands, especially with the new performance plugs. The people that told me that were in the performace business. What does closing up gap do compared to the larger gap? What has been everyones experience in doing this?--Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
i've never heard of gaping a spark plug different than the manufacturers specifications. I know spark plugs not gaped properly can cause bad performance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
i may be wrong but my understanding is that the larger the gap you have you can burn the fuel more efficiently because there is a larger spark, and the smaller the gap you may not burn as much fuel but the spark is more intense. dont quote me on this its just what i have heard hah

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
fox440 said:
i may be wrong but my understanding is that the larger the gap you have you can burn the fuel more efficiently because there is a larger spark, and the smaller the gap you may not burn as much fuel but the spark is more intense. dont quote me on this its just what i have heard hah
I think you have that turned around. The more intense a spark the more likely complete combustion occurs. Opening the gap would tend to weaken the spark resulting in less complete combustion. To what degree that happens is debatable as it applies to felt performance. It should be measureable in a lab setting though.

I am sure manufactures have some leeway in the gap they specify. As with any measuring equipment, 2 people using the same device can come up with different readings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts