Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from a wet looking plug, is there a way of telling if a plug is actually fouled?

If it is fouled can it still be used or is it garbage?

I have just finished syncing my carbs but still have a bit of work with adjusting the idle...Two of the three plugs are a bit glossy with a little oil on the ground pin. All the plugs are new but I'm wondering if I can still use these plugs?

Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
go for a good blast,full operating temp,then check your plugs again,should be o.k.,,I would try it,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fouled is definitly GARBAGE. What colour "glossy" is your plugs. If they are black then fouled. They should be a light brown and dry when you take them out after taking it for a run. If wet, then they are being flooded.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a lighter or a torch and heat up the tip then let them cool, they will be fine. If they are used and foul and quit then it is a no win situation, but these are new and just very wet. If there is alot of carbon buildup then it fouls they are also toast. Thanks Scott.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When they are fouled they will arc out through the insulation instead of the electrode. When this happens, they are shot. You can not tell just by looking at the plug. Being wet does not mean fouled, you have to see if they spark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they are certainly not black...They look as though they were dipped in a bit of clear laquer.

The ceramic is just slighly of white, coffee color, double, double ;). The other is just a bit darker.

The middle cylinder is running a little rich on Idle to 1/4 throttle, I have leaned it out as much as I can. The air jet is turned 1/4 turn out from fully closed. I'm sure I need a smaller pilot jet but I will wait till spring to tear the carbs down. What I have done in the mean time is go to a slightly hotter plug for this cylinder (Br8es) instead of the 9. The other two I'm running 9's.

Is that a no, no?

Thanks...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Your plugs are fouled when your motor all the sudden runs like sh*t, and you put in your spare set, and runs good all the sudden (you do carry a spare set right)?

-Dean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts