Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a sno jet and restored it now im trying to get running right. i put new points and external coils on it and it has realy bright spark but when i go to start it up it runs but back fires alot. so is there some way to change the timeing witht he points. i been messing with it forever. any heelp thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You cannot change the timing by changing the points, unless you loosened the stator plate and moved it. What did you gap the new points at?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just put the points on then put the fly wheel on. then i adjusted the points so that they would be open as much ass posible and still close. the one side has the right amount of spark but the other seems like it has too much. do u think that it much be like predetinating.i dont know what the gaps are set at exatly. what should they be set at. right now it idles good with a couple back fires once in awhile but when u rev it it does it alot more. what u think. thanks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
you need specs for that sled
points are adjustable and you need to set them when you change them
you need a multi meter and a dial indicator, and also the spec

Try with the boys in the vintage tread

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Take a match book cover and set the gap with that, should get it close enough to ride without back fire. You do need the specs though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive been looking where do u think i could find the specs

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
This might help. http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Sno-Jet-Snowmobile-Owner-Manual-Snow-Machine-i_W0QQitemZ140070928331QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts