Snowmobile Fanatics banner

sparks flying on inside of primary clutch

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  whitexc 
#1 ·
I have 1992 Polaris 500 EFI SP - sparks fly from the primary clutch (between the clutch and the engine) when I throttle to trail speed. It does not appear to be hitting anything. Could it be the crankshaft bearing??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 92 500EFI SP crankshaft assembly.pdf

#2 · (Edited)
It sounds as though a thorough inspection needs to be done to both the clutch and the crank area. Does this sled have electric start? Something hitting the ring gear or an issue with the starter? How many miles? Clutch ever been serviced?

What I do suggest for safety and to ease the hit on your wallet is that you stop running it until the issue is figured out. Sparks are metal loss and that can't be good when you are talking a clutch that is spinning up to 9000 rpm's. Bad things happen when they self destruct.

#3 ·
whitexc - I purchased the sled last January in Michigan (I am from Canada). I have not serviced the sled or taken anything apart this year yet. The extent of my investigation is merely a glance between the clutch and the engine while a friend throttled RPM's to approximately 6000-7000 RPM. The clutch does not appear to contact the electric start ring gear. The starter works fine. On another note, there were no sparks at idle. As for the Miles, I believe there are 6000+....not sure if that is accurate or not.

I posted to see if anyone here had an issue like this before. I will not run the sled until I service the clutch. thanks for your response

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.