Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am interested in buying a 04 prox r 800 or a prox 2 800. what are the difference in power between the two. i was reading on polaris files andi guess the xr is more of a race sled? so what differences other than the pro x race chasis and suspension are there between the x2 and xr?

what is the best to buy for modifying, speed, handling, jumping?

thanks nik

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The best sled for jumping out of the two is the xr 800, there the same motor. but the prox xr 800 is a 440 chasie the 03. the steering if farther forward, its lighter, the seat is taller, both have walker even shocks. both are great sleds. the prox 2 is a great sled too it has the same motor a shorter shorty seat. The 800 motors are notorious for breaking motor mounts. that can be fixed with a torque stop from slp. ive herd they have power valve and crank problems but i really couldn't tell you on that one. thats some info about the sled all the stuff that was in my head of right now.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i've been told that the valving in the shocks is different from the pro-xr to the pro-x2 the pro-x2 being softer.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which do you think would be a better trail/lake sled?
any one know the gears that are in each

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I dont wanna bash this site but get on hcs do a search in prox forum for 800 gears, if your not gonna be going huge do up the x2, it is just as capable as the xr but less agresive, there both gonna suck on lake but a prox isnt a top end sled.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even if i gear it clutch it and get maybe pipes, head work, port, reeds it wont be good on the lake? what is the stock top speed on the xr? i heard 105 or sumthing klike that. do you think that the mods above would alleast put me to 115?

thanks nik

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Iam pretty sure you could pull 115 on radar if you get a xr or x2 get rid of the bigger track gear it up get the clutching dialed in twins and a head. i dont think its imposible to do it but witht he mods you said and right clutching i could see that. like said befor get on hcs if you have one and talk to pockets he will set you up. if i say your more into trails and lakes get the x2, it will still jump awsome and handle great but wont be as harsh as the xr. Ive herd that w.e shocks are crapy if done by a person who isnt skilled. i love my prox but there def not a topend sled like a xc would be or gen 2's. ethier sled imo you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you can certainly make the top end just like an xc by changing the gearing. from the factory they are just clutched and geared to be slower top end but accelerate hard. there's nothing else that would make the top end slower than an xc.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by proxJ
[br]The track is bigger.
i would assume if he got a pro-xr with a 1.75" track he'd change it to a more suitable trail/lake size anyway. those big lugs will get torn up in regular trail/lake riding.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]
[br]The track is bigger.
i would assume if he got a pro-xr with a 1.75" track he'd change it to a more suitable trail/lake size anyway. those big lugs will get torn up in regular trail/lake riding.
If iam corect the proxr 800 has a 1.38 somehting track and the x2 a a 1.25 were as a xc is like .89 or something am i corect?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
[br]
[br]
[br]The track is bigger.
If iam corect the proxr 800 has a 1.38 somehting track and the x2 a a 1.25 were as a xc is like .89 or something am i corect?
i thought the xr had a 1.75 like the 440 pro-xr, i might be wrong. the xc's came with either a .91 or 1" can't remember what was on what year.

either way, the difference in top end wouldn't be effected too bad between say a 1" and a 1.25" or even a 1.38". the big difference in speed is in the gearing. the clutching doesn't really effect top end if it's working correctly, because shifted out is shifted out. clutching just controls how fast it gets to shifted out. the gearing and rpm dictate the top end ability (assuming power is equal).

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
[br]
[br]
[br]
[br]The track is bigger.
i thought the xr had a 1.75 like the 440 pro-xr, i might be wrong. the xc's came with either a .91 or 1" can't remember what was on what year.

either way, the difference in top end wouldn't be effected too bad between say a 1" and a 1.25" or even a 1.38". the big difference in speed is in the gearing. the clutching doesn't really effect top end if it's working correctly, because shifted out is shifted out. clutching just controls how fast it gets to shifted out. the gearing and rpm dictate the top end ability (assuming power is equal).

I know its not a 1.75, but the 1.25 track will afect about 2-3 mph on topend but it will hook up much better and pull harder. but yeah clutching and gearing are for more lowend on prox's. the xr is lighter also and more rider forward.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
[br]you can certainly make the top end just like an xc by changing the gearing. from the factory they are just clutched and geared to be slower top end but accelerate hard. there's nothing else that would make the top end slower than an xc.
Yes there is. The Pro-X suspension AND chassis limits it's top speed capabilities. The Pro-X 800 is geared stock at 25-40, which is a 1.6 ratio. There's NO need to gear it up anymore because they're already overgeared!! If you want top speed, and you want a Polaris, buy an XC or even better an XCR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ride a XR 800 with a couple small mods and a 1 7/8 inch track and I only get about 90-95 out of it. But its fun as hell to ride and it will take a beating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts