Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride around on some old Johnson and Evinrude sleds when I was younger. Now that I'm all growed up, I want to get back into riding. Thought about pulling an old Evinrude out of retirement, but I’ve already got enough other projects. Anyway, I figured I'd get something mid to late 1980's vintage. I figure something from around that era will be relatively modern (at least compared to the old Johnsons), yet it will still be relatively inexpensive.

A couple questions though:

Are there any sites that give good specifications on sleds from around that era? For example, I saw an 88 Yamaha Exciter for sale the other day. Is there anywhere I can look that will list the different engines that model came with, and the different features that were available? Not to mention, something that tells me if that particular sled was designed as a powder tearin' mountain sled or a sedate comfy trail rider? The manufacturers all have good info on '06 and '07 models, and there's a ton of info on older vintage rides, but it seems like there’s not much info on the web for mid to late 80's stuff.

Also, any guidance on what sleds are bulletproof, and what sleds are junk from that era? I'm not looking for anything special, just something that's got some decent power (I weigh about 200 lbs) and is reliable.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
go to
www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com
good site, you can go down to the brochures and check everything out, i have an 85 polaris 440, good sled, id say any polaris or cat from that time would do you just fine, where are you located at?

·
Registered
539 Posts
i'd stick to any skidoo or Yamaha.
the engineering, quality and fit and finnish of the Canadian and Japan built sleds is and has always been far superior than any sled built in MN...in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by chevy66c10
[br]go to
www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com
good site, you can go down to the brochures and check everything out, i have an 85 polaris 440, good sled, id say any polaris or cat from that time would do you just fine, where are you located at?
That site is OK, but most of the info on there only goes up to the late 70's or early 80's. Unless there's a link I missed somewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to polarisman.com Buy a polaris for sure you will find at that age they are by far the most reliable and parts are everywhere as they were the best seller for about 12 straight years. I would recomend a 500 ffrom the mid 90's cheap easy on gas an abundance of parts and bullet proof should be able to find one for about 1000.00. Good luck and welcome back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts