Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 xlt special

spedo/odometer stopped working? I took off the belt, removed secondary, and then three bolts at end of shaft. To no suprise I found the square key broken in two. Replaced the square key and buttoned it up. Now spedo/odometer yes work. Wooooooohooo. I didn't know how to check bearing, so I did nothing with it.
#1 If spedo/ odometer continue to work are the bearings ok?
#2 If spedo/ odometer quits again, are bearings shot?
#3 And lastly can the bearings be shot with the spedo/odometer working?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i would change the bearing i was always told that if the pin broke off the bearing was junk and if the bearing lets go it can cause alot of damage

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
what happens with the speedometer drive key is as the bearing wears and starts to fail, the driveline starts to drop. When it drops enough, the pin is no longer aligned between the driveline and the gear drive and the pin shears. Sometimes the shearing of the driveline key is due to something else, but almost always, it's the bearing on it's way out.. that is why people suggest you use the warning to replace the bearing before it locks up the track 25 miles from the truck.

When you put in a new key, if the bearing is ok, things will be fine. If the bearing is NOT ok, then it will fail even more, leading closer and closer to catastrophic failure and major damage.

Changing the bearing is not terribly difficult and can save you from walking, and from a VERY expensive repair. Make SURE the bearing is ok before you ride, if you don't know how, find a buddy to show you.. it's important!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts