Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering,it seems im allways hearing about speed limits on trails,if true what is the speed limit where your from.Im from prince Edward Island in Canada and we dont have any posted speed limit at all.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There is no speed limit in Wisconsin during the day9atleast i dont think),but my friend did get a ticket for goin 120 so maybe its 100mph. During the night the speed limit is 50mph. I have neverr seen and wardens or cops on our trails though!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as you slow down when you meet someone or pass someone i dont think there is any need for them.just ride responsably.and responsable doesent nessasaraly meen slow.besides your thum doesent cramp up when its resting comfy against the handlebars.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here in Southern Ontario I believe it's 60Km/h...That seems a little low to me, but I guess they make laws for a reason. Not like people go 60 though lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
In Ontario its 50kph (30 mph) and they have radar traps. Some people I know have gotten speeding tickets. The cops also check for insurance,ownership,plates(sticker) and a trail pass. If you are caught with no trail pass it will cost you $205 plus the cost of the pass $170 .
I'm glad I bought a slow sled this year( ZR900 ) so I can't be caught speeding, or is it they "CAN'T CATCH ME" speeding.
My Question is, if is suppose to be " an off-road experience " how can they inforce an speed limit if it is not a road ?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by XCSP 700GUY
[br]I think ours is like 50-60 but no one fallows them
Yes, I believe here in MN, the 'offical' speed limit is 55mph.

There are basically three trails that feed into/out of Duluth, MN. One of them is the Willard Munger trail, which is built on top of an old railway bed (ie, long, flat, straight, ideal for high speed runs). Every weekend the DNR sits out on that trail with breath-alizers and a radar gun. Thing is thou, they are not too smart about, they sit in the same spot every time. So the locals just know to go the 'speed' limit in that area. I suppose they get a lot of out-of-towners thou.

Anyways, it's 55 here in MN.

Back in 1990 when I was driving the one lunged Ski-doo Citation the speed limit worked out perfect. I just kept the thing taped and I still had 10mph to go yet. Felt like you were doing 55 though [:eek:)]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry to say ,, but the ones complaining about 50+mph not being high enough ,, well i'd like to see ANYONE of you on this site try ridding at 50+mph in our trails down here,,, you'd loose it in just about EVERY corner ,,, Of course on the stretches and lakes ,, it's really low ,, but there's no way someone out here could ride over 50mph in the trails ,, just isn't possible. Maybe at a couple places.
But like sleddaver said ,, out here they got traps like CRAZZY ,, cathnig tons of people on radar. Plus i heard of some people even loosing points on their DRIVERS liscence for either speeding or DUI.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
theres only speed limits on small trails here in nova scotia canada (25-35 kph) but iv been riding for 7 years and havent seen a cop yet

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Minnesota has a 50 mph speed limit. As far as I am concerned on the trails 50 is fast enough. On the lakes it should be open to any safe speed. With all the budget cuts in MN. I am starting to think there won't much law enforcement out on the trails or lakes. You will only see a sherriff or DNR around when they need to scrape somebody off a tree. Riley

·
Registered
370 Posts
Originally posted by 98mxzx440
[br]There is no speed limit in Wisconsin during the day9atleast i dont think),but my friend did get a ticket for goin 120 so maybe its 100mph. During the night the speed limit is 50mph. I have neverr seen and wardens or cops on our trails though!
No one would have a 100mph speed limit, that would be saying its ok to do 100. Also I can't remember but I thought it was less then 50 at night, not sure though.
Also they really don't need a speed limit, at 120 they can say reckless driving. Byu the way I like to go fast too, not bashing on you for that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Michigan has speed limit laws on the trails? Woops...haha. Whenever we do see DNR or Sherrif's we slow right down anyways.

·
Registered
567 Posts
here in wyoming there are no speed limits except in yellowstone national park. which is 15 was 20 it blows a lot and they have the radar traps . the rangers hide in the trees and wait for a mron to go 4 over and BAM a 50 dollar ticket. As long as u your riding within reason where i ride your good

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Any time you are within 100 feet of any pedestrian or ice fishing shack, you must reduce your speed to 10 mph or under. Between 10:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., you must reduce your speed to 10 mph or less within 150 feet of any dwelling. When riding at speeds above 40-mph at night, you begin to override your snowmobile's headlight.To be safe and make sure you get stopped in time when you encounter a hazard, do not override your snowmobile's headlight. You cannot operate a snowmobile at speeds that are unreasonable or improper.

Straight from the Wisconsin Snowmobile laws handbook

1 - 20 of 81 Posts