Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on setting up a sled for 1000' radar runs?? I have a 2001 Polaris 800 XCSP and a 1999 XCR440SP Edge that I am going to run on Saturday. Any advice on suspension setup, track tension, or clutching would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i'm no expert but i would say the lower you can get the sled the better off you will be...i would also think you would want as much track on the ground as possible for traction reasons

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Pull up your front end (get the shocks compressed), and loosen limiter straps and then mess with your blocks in the back, you want the front end up in the air for as long as possible, skis = drag = loss of mph. prolly could drop a tooth for the 800 too...depending on distance!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted on the outcome of both sleds.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
both sleds. sled should leave the line flat. what has worked for me is to move the rear stops forward. then with the front springs all the way down practice leaving the line without to much spin. start out with limiter straps fairly loose. tighten if you cant steer without letting off the gas. only run one sharp carbide. the other one should be dull. both sleds should be geared for about a 1.44-1.5 ratio. you should be able to drop jetting several sizes but watch it as you do it. use a warm up stand before you run to clean out the motor and get consistint runs. less helix and more weight.
800 should be something close to an old indy secondary clutch with a couple more grams in the primary.
440 should will be harder to clutch. but with stock secondary try a little more wieght. or each run loosen the secondary one hole and see what that does.

if you get a 5 gallon pail of vp 105 octane you can jet down a lot. atleast 3-8 sizes. if you get lean on race gas the motor just dies or gets real weak. it will be very hard on race gas to lean burn a sled in 1000' it will shut off first. but still check motor after any jetting changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts