Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got in from ripping up some good trails in Vermont. I finally got to open it up, and when I did, whoa, I got blisters on my fingers from holding on, ok, maby not blisters, but it was a fast ride, first of all, how accurate are the speedo's on the sleds? I have a 98 XC700, and it said I was going 110 mph, what I want to know is was I really going 110 mph? Another thing is when I look at the track clips, there are small deposits of plastic on them from the hifax. After some hard running, I pulled off the trail and piled snow around it so it could cool down, but does running at 110 mph hurt it, the hifax at all?

·
Registered
749 Posts
shouldn't hurt the slides a bit. As for the speedo. If it said 110 then it was probobly going about 98 to 100. Your speed should read about 120 if its a 700.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Right speed shouldn't hurt the slides. If your track tension is too tight the slides will wear fast.

·
Registered
197 Posts
speedo acuracy decreases propotionate to the limits of its range
i.e.:whatever #mph is in the center of the guage is when it is most accurate out on the far right.....well....mabe 105 tops
as for hyfax...it dont melt!(unless there is desert in vermont!) check that tension is spec and not off center

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
high speeds and hardpack will make them wear faster, you need a little bit of loose snow especially when you're going fast

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually I live in ride in Vermont, and I have ridden several time on HARD pack that every now and then, I can smell the plastic 'melting' so I try to get off the hard pack and into the soft(er) stuff. This usually cools the track 'nuf that I don't have to worry about it really hurting the track. I have adjusted the track with approximately 1.5" slack in the bottom of a hanging track with an 8Lb weight on it (according to specs) so my track is tensioned properly. It is just that the track doesn't get enough lubricating/cooling snow in/on it from hard-pack conditions. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind when you can smell it or see your track steaming.....(making sure that it isn't just your heat exchangers steaming)
Just my two cents................Chrome

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you add studs that will solve your problem. Another way would be to add a set of ice scratchers. I have a couple of buddies who use these on there mountain sleds and they work great. It is hard to get snow in the skid with a 2" track and really hard pack or ice. But these seem to do the trick.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has 192 studs in it so traction really isn't my problem there was decent coverage on some of the trails, just ice on the hills, and thats where I think it melted, as I was blasting up the hill, and how do ice scratchers work?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey lifttillithurts,
here is an excellent product that was mentioned above, here is a link to "Ice Scratchers"... http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/hrpscratchers/ It tells the 'whole' story, I actually think I am going to have to invest in some of these too, unfortunately we don't get all that deep pow pow like they do out west....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I loosened up my track alittle today, but how tight should the bolt be that goes through the rear most idler wheel? also, there appears to be a place that looks like an extra idler wheel can go in the rear skid frame, should I put one there to reduce resistance on the Hyfax? That scratcher system looks like it works, I'll probally hook myself up with that for next season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts